i'm going to make my own coilovers

edit: final finished coilover unit

100_0110.jpg

right, i've decided to have a go at making my own coilovers...

where can i buy those threaded spring seat/conversion kits from???

Edited by TeflonTom

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay... I get it now!

Are there any other systems available for the Felicia?

My struts a re getting pretty rusty and starting to knock... needs replacing soon so might as well do it in style!

Phil

How do you even go about making your own?

A mish mash of differnt parts put together and fettled or parts made custom from scratch?

Phil

Ah right... so your just basically left with the original springs and new shocks.

What about the cups that are prone to rust? Will they be replaced?

Its all very complicated this... thats why i'm liking the idea of the HP set... so so damn expensive! lol

the height adjustable kit replaces the original spring perch with one that can be moved by rotating it around the body of the strut, this also disposes of the original spring too and uses a 2.25" spring, these springs are available in many different lengths and rates

I see... So it does end up being a total replacement of all the components!

Is it diy'able or would i need to be able to compress the springs etc?

Maybe you wouldn't mind sharing the prices of the components and giving a total price of the build?

Phil

Is it diy'able or would i need to be able to compress the springs etc?

yes it is diy'able but it is quite a difficult and involved task, the threaded part of the height adjuster needs to be welded to the original strut body. also you need to do some pretty hefty surgery on the struts to fit the inserts...

i will make one set as a protoype, and if they are any good i will think about making some more... i will take some photos of the different stages as i do it

That would be bloody marvelous of you... could make some money out of this if it works... im sure there's plenty of folks after a decent suspension upgrade without trying to source the HP set!

Phil

Don't think i would be able to do it myself... never welded anything in my life and don't have access to such equipment any way.

So my options are to do something like this but have a garage do it for me... or buy a complete set.

Phil

making suspension DIY is crazy..... unless you are going to use very expensive components of "race" quality.

and anyone spending 2k on a felly setup must be wanting to rally it professionally.

ffs get a grip! :rofl:

Someone's spending £6k converting a favorit to electric in the projects page and it looks great - only problem is I'm not a freedom member so can't reply to that thread :)