Whiteline suspension bits

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Golf has a live axle whereas the Octavia is multi-link, i don't think this mod warrants the cost in truth.

I think you'll find Golf and Octavia have the same rear axle set-up (i.e. multi-link). Whether or not it warrants the cost is debatable and depends on your driving. I personally wouldn't bother with the ALK for road use.

The Golf has a live axle whereas the Octavia is multi-link, i don't think this mod warrants the cost in truth.

Tony - are you thinking of the older Mk4 Golf?

Ive been under the Mk5 Golf and my Octy when they have been ramped next to each other and the differences are minimal to say the least.

Looking at those adjustment kits with interest.... ;)

• 2 months later...

ive been doing alot of reading up on this anti lift kit, and the mkv gti boys rate it extremely highly.

i have emailed balance motorsport and asked them if they can confirm whether or not fitment will be available on the mk2 vRS. (surely its the same as the mkv golf, i thought practically all the underpinnings were the same)

has anybody fitted them or heard anything else about them since this thread was started.

I though about this long and hard but then found out that APR decided to bring out their 27mm rear arb, which I have decided to fit instead. Factors involved;-

1. Total cost for both projects are about equal, but the Walk kit takes a lot longer to fit and 4 wheel alignment is required, on which I won't get my money back; with costs in reverse when selling the car.

2. Annual regrease of bushes on Walk kit effectively requires refitting.

3. Rear arb I can fit myself, and grease myself.

4. Dynamic effect will be similar; rear arb will hold the car flatter and thus keep more weight on the inside front wheel to provide more traction.

Now just waiting for delivery of my APR rear arb. :D;)

PS> TT Roadsport told me the Walk kit is interchangeable Golf Mk V, Octavia II, Leon Mk II etc.

i just recieved email back from balance motorsport. they confirm it will fit the octy 2. very interested now.

but i do see where bahnstormer is coming from. and he has prob made the correct choice( i wasnt aware that they need regreasing though)

do all the different arb manufacturers bars need regreasing as well, or are there some that dont, (how come the std onedoesnt)

Edited by simonskerton

do all the different arb manufacturers bars need regreasing as well,

Probably. My Neuspeed one does, it starts squeaking every 9 months/15,000 miles. The APR one is supplied with a tube of grease and has an interesting looking grease nipple so you don't need to remove the bush to regrease it.

(how come the std onedoesnt)
Different construction and material, probably inferior, to the Eibach/Neuspeed/APR bushes (for compliance); but then the manufactures priority will be to cut out service time and avoid customers saying "my suspension's squeaking" - but they finish up doing it half the time anyway. :rofl:

• 2 months later...
Got to add this to my Christmas pressie list! :D;)

Didn't make it for Christmas, but have yesterday ordered a Whiteline Anti-Lift 'WALK' kit from Awesome at £118.00 plus VAT and postage; see here;- Awesome > Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Golf Mk5 :thumbup:

Am considering it an Easter pressie and will get it fitted in 10 days time when my car is in for a service. :D;)

Must say; one thing that convinced me to get it, apart from all the recommendations etc. was this video;-

Note how much flex/play there is in the OE bushes; its horrifying! :eek: plus this one;-

before i have mine fitted, im going to be throwing mine round a few roundabouts then try it again after the fitting. I have high expectations for the results of my work, cant wait.

whiteline are releasing a bump steer kit for the mk 5 platform. Supposably the golf suffers from excessive bumpsteer.

can anybody shed any light as to what bump steer is.

Hi Simon,

as per: 2005-2006 Mustang Steeda Bumpsteer Kit: 2005 06 07 08 Ford Mustang - Suspension, Handling & Steering - 5558106450 - Fast Mustang Parts -- Aftermarket Wheels, Exhaust, Parts & Accessories | We are not endorsed by nor affliated with Ford Motor Company

"Definition: Bumpsteer is a change in toe* angle caused by the suspension moving up or down. Bump-steer is built into the geometry of the suspension and steering system, and has nothing to do with turning the steering wheel. The effect of bumpsteer is for the wheel to toe-in or toe-out when the suspension moves up or down. This toe change or “steering” occurs any time the suspension moves, whether it is from body roll, brake-dive, or hitting a bump in the road. Bump steer is undesirable because the suspension is steering the car instead of the driver."

So, it seems quite interesting...

HTH

"but would it make the steering wheel twitchy"

Well,

I would say no, since suspensions would no more steer the wheels when moving ("whether it is from body roll, brake-dive, or hitting a bump in the road").

Infact long name on Whiteline brochure is "bump steer correction kit".

Anyway, it seems interesting

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

Well got my Whiteline Anti-Lift (WALK) kit fitted early last week and have now had a moderate, although not extensive, chance to assess the results.

Initial response; Driving my car away from the garage I immediately noticed the 'anti-lift' with the feel of a great forceful hand pressing down on the front of the car and the nose not rising under acceleration, plus the steering felt meatier and more direct (clearly as a result of the new bushes, compared to the OE ones that are decidedly set for comfort). There was a noticeable, if small, increase in road noise.

Having now driven the car for a few days and had the opportunity to test the effects of the WALK kit overall it does exactly as described in the promotional literature (and more).

Straight Line acceleration; the 'anti-lift' works strongly to provide more relative weight on the front wheels and thus give better traction. This has meant that I can be more forceful with throttle application without fear of the tsunami of TDI torque producing wheelspin, and when the traction control does kick in (eventually) it is very progressive. It also seems to have eradicated the horrible habit of 'axle-tramp' accompanying the wheelspin. Top marks. :D

General Handling; I already have an uprated rear ARB to reduce (inherent) understeer and the addition of the WALK kit has noticeably improved steering response. The degree of softness and lack of initial bite in the OE setup has completely gone and the steering is now almost race car direct. Essentially its a case of turn the wheel and the nose responds instantly. Once in a corner the steering is pin point accurate and it is easy to make minor line adjustments and corrections.

Acceleration whilst cornering; simply put - a huge improvement. The combination of the two factors above allow much stronger power application when cornering with the car keeping a tight line instead of running wide or loosing traction. Traction control can still intervene but much later than before.

I have yet to explore the benefits of the WALK kit in the wet but I'd expect them to be more marked than in the dry.

Overall; a really worthwhile upgrade to my car, particularly in providing better traction for the delivery of my TDI's torque.

Would I recommend it? A difficult decision as to whether it is better than a rear ARB upgrade as IMHO they influence the car in different ways. An ARB is more expensive to buy but easier and cheaper, even DIY, to fit; whereas the WALK kit requires professional installation and at 1.6 hours (Skoda official time) plus 4 wheel alignment afterwards (yet to have this done) costs more. Pays your money and takes your choice. ;) perhaps my conclusion would be for general road use get a rear ARB, but if you are venturing onto the track, the WALK kit is essential. :thumbup:

PS> I have discovered one major downside! With the new found ability to apply power without losing traction I'm using the throttle more liberally; with a consequential lowering of my fuel consumption. :D;)

PPS> Reflecting on the comments I posted last night; I feel I have to say that the WALK kit has had the most positive effect on my car, aside of Koni FSDs, of any of the tweaks I have, as it has gone a huge way of sorting the vRS TDI's significant bugbear of the relative lack of traction for the power/torque available.

I was forever having to moderate throttle application (in OE spec) for fear of breaking traction; I can now use liberal applications with impunity. :D;):)

Edited by bahnstormer vrs
PPS added

Anyone explain what a ALK does please.

Im assuming it fits to the rear suspension and reduces the back end dipping on hard acceleration or does it go the the front suspension ?

Off thread, but incidently I recently fitted a Neuspeed ARB and thats made a big improvement especially when the estate is loaded. In disagreement with some, I havent found a marked tendency to sudden liftoff oversteer (and Ive gone out of my way to induce it), even on stiffest setting - just far less roll and better turn in - so for me its a good set up. I found the Jabbasport ARB on the Fabia VRS induces far more liftoff oversteer (fun fun fun !) by comparison.

Anyone explain what a ALK does please.

Im assuming it fits to the rear suspension and reduces the back end dipping on hard acceleration or does it go the the front suspension ?

If you read the earlier posts in this thread and look at the links to Whiteline's website you will find the answer. To give you a clue; it is fitted to the driven 'axle'. ;)

Off thread, but incidently I recently fitted a Neuspeed ARB and thats made a big improvement especially when the estate is loaded. In disagreement with some, I havent found a marked tendency to sudden liftoff oversteer (and Ive gone out of my way to induce it), even on stiffest setting - just far less roll and better turn in - so for me its a good set up. I found the Jabbasport ARB on the Fabia VRS induces far more liftoff oversteer (fun fun fun !) by comparison.

That's about right from my own experience of the Neuspeed bar on a vRS TDI (hatch); it is probably the optimum fitting for a moderate improvement without altering ride comfort. The (stronger) APR bar is more akin in effect to the Jabbasport one fitted to a Fabia giving a noticable and distinct improvement almost completely eradicating understeer; I have mine set to medium and that is about as stiff as I feel I want or need for regular road use.

Any adverse effects on ride comfort?

None. :thumbup:

Yes, it is true to say that the front end is more taut and the steering response sharper more, I would suggest, as a result of the better less flexible bushes in the WALK kit than any effect of the geometry changes. It is not as if you are fitting different springs, shocks or anti-roll bars that WILL have an effect on the ride.

Reflecting on the comments I posted last night; I feel I have to say that the WALK kit has had the most positive effect on my car, aside of Koni FSDs, of any of the tweaks I have, as it has gone a huge way of sorting the vRS TDI's significant bugbear of the relative lack of traction for the power/torque available.

I was forever having to moderate throttle application (in OE spec) for fear of breaking traction; I can now use liberal applications with impunity. :D;):)

LOL,

following what anticipated on http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/whiteline-rear-arb-fitting-review/141912/2/

I strongly recommend the WALK!

I drove it for >500Km in semi-wet, wet, and under heavy rain (yesss, dry still missing :D). Without repeating bahnstormer, beside the mighty traction capability I found that by tightening the front and reducing inertia, braking has improved too!

Car is much more precise, I find that the rear ARB and WALK matches beautifully and I'm not so sure to order a front ARB anymore... at least by now ;)

Ciao!

P.S.: Due to better traction, I think that next pair of front tyres will last more :)

P.S.: Due to better traction, I think that next pair of front tyres will last more :)

Don't you mean 'front tyres will last less'?

OK, you have less wheel spin to wear the rubber BUT more power transfer requiring grip so more wear. Also you will use more fuel. ;)

About a front ARB - I'd agree; not required.

Any adverse effects on ride comfort?

Aside from a perhaps slighter, if any, increase in road noise (not always present), none, nor perceived by me OR by daughter, SWMBO, lils, and so on...moreover I find the antilift property and general "tightness" a good thing to avoid car-ache (hope it's the correct term).

Don't you mean 'front tyres will last less'?

OK, you have less wheel spin to wear the rubber BUT more power transfer requiring grip so more wear. Also you will use more fuel. ;)

About a front ARB - I'd agree; not required.

Ahah... you don't count I already was almost always WOT :D

Anyway I seem I'm going to use the car more efficiently (at least from debatable MFA figures) and I bet this depends by the better suspension behavior. I'm braking way less (and while braking car behaves better too, car nose doesn't move nor up while getting speed, no down while braking) :thumbup:

This morning I noticed the complete absence of the usual wheel spin usually had when "lifting" from the highway on the wet (and I have to change my front tyres).

Really impressive... the effects of the WALK may not be immediately perceivable yet is really pervasive and gives the car a "coherency" that makes it better.

Now, what a LSD (e.g. Quaife, Peloquin) would do to our cars? :jawsmall: