Lumbar Support Broken

GAFF

Turning the wheel seemed a little stiff last week, then today the adjustment wheel popped off.

Spoke to garage who said its probably the cable, so went home and dismantled back of seat. Sure enough the cable had come off :(

I reconnected it but it popped off again where the arrows point (from the attached photo taken after reconnected). The photo doesn't show it clearly but under the cable you can see the plastic very white, as if it got strained.

This video shows it popping back off.

IMGP0590.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It doesn't seem a very tough design. Anyone know if this part had been modified? Or how much it is?

I'm have tempted to swap with passengers side (as they seem to be made for either side).

25548.attach

Turning the wheel seemed a little stiff last week, then today the adjustment wheel popped off.

Spoke to garage who said its probably the cable, so went home and dismantled back of seat. Sure enough the cable had come off :(

I reconnected it but it popped off again where the arrows point (from the attached photo taken after reconnected). The photo doesn't show it clearly but under the cable you can see the plastic very white, as if it got strained.

This video shows it popping back off.

IMGP0590.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It doesn't seem a very tough design. Anyone know if this part had been modified? Or how much it is?

I'm have tempted to swap with passengers side (as they seem to be made for either side).

25556.attach

The plastic part is broken where the blue arrow is. You can fix this by putting superglue where the yellow dots are and glueing on a piece of metal/plastic to enclose the cable.

[ATTACH]25556[/ATTACH]

The plastic part is broken where the blue arrow is. You can fix this by putting superglue where the yellow dots are and glueing on a piece of metal/plastic to enclose the cable.

Good idea, do ya think glue would hold considering the pressure if the lumbar support was fully activated?

I done the attached as a temporary measure.

I was initially thinking about drilling 2 holes (see 2nd photo with orange dots) and putting a tie wrap through it

25561.attach

25562.attach

• 4 weeks later...

My old mk 1 Octavia had a great lumbar support in both front seats and I was disappointed with the driving seat of my new Scout - when after only one week , the lumbar support collapsed and failed to work at all . The technician back at the garage said , " I thought they had solved that problem " - apparently it has been a common failing and a new frame has been ordered .

I will report back when the job is completed .

The above was written in May , when a new seat frame was was fitted to the car , since when the same problem , as described by other members above , has repeatedly occurred . I tried simply bonding a plate , as described above , but that has also failed - I think that the ties are essential and may try this .

But , the car is only 6 months old . I phoned the garage who stated that they had no other answers so I asked them for permission to try out this repair " without prejudice " beforehand .

How should now I resolve this problem ?

• 1 year later...

Grrr, driving through town this morning and suddenly I heard a noise and felt my seat jerk on the lower left-hand side - knew immediately what it was, and when I checked when parked up it is definately the case that my lumber support wheel no longer functions and my lumber support no longer sticks out anymore so I assume the cable has come out of its runner. Before I ring the dealer (its still under warranty) is it still the case do people know that the only dealer fix for this (as opposed to the DIY ones above) is a new seat frame? If so, has the new seat frame changed design or is this generic weakness still going to be there? Finally, would it be straightforward to simply swap over my LE leather seat cover to a new unit (if indeed that is waht I get offered)?

Good idea, do ya think glue would hold considering the pressure if the lumbar support was fully activated?

I done the attached as a temporary measure.

I was initially thinking about drilling 2 holes (see 2nd photo with orange dots) and putting a tie wrap through it

I think the best option is to fiber glassed it

I think the best option is to fiber glassed it

Mine has still stayed in place, although the lumbar support ain't great, although it was always that way.

• 9 months later...

Mine has still stayed in place, although the lumbar support ain't great, although it was always that way.

I have used the ties for about 2 years successfully now , but the support is limited . There was simply no point in going back to Skoda to have the same fault re-fitted . Why o why did they have to change the Mk1 seat - the best seat ever apart from a Renault 16 in the 70s and an XJ6 in the 90s .

Steve W