Can I install a PTC heater in a UK Octy 2

From my manual:

[I]Removing and installing heating element for auxiliary heating -Z35-

NoteThe heating element for auxiliary heating -Z35- is only fitted to certain models.

Removing

DANGER!

The heating element for auxiliary heating -Z35- can be hot - risk of burning!

Before removing the heating element for auxiliary heating - Z35-, allow it to cool down.

– Remove the side cover on the driver's side → Rep. Gr.68.

– Remove the left footwell vent → Chapter.

– Unscrew bolts -1- from the cover -2-.

– Unscrew fixing nut for voltage supply -3- and for earth connection -4-.

– Unplug the plug connectors -5- from the heating element for auxiliary heater -Z35-.

– Pull the heating element for auxiliary heater -Z35- out of the heater unit.

Installing

Installation is carried out in the reverse order. [/i]

So is the Z35 the PTC heater, can it be obtained in the UK, could I fit it ?

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Went to local Audi dealer (Skoda one is miles away, and the local VW dealer has a miserable old scrote in the parts dept who sneers at the Skoda word :finger:) and a PTC heater is available for the 2007 A3 ;

2 types depending upon chassis number - not cheap though...

1K0 963 235 E - £249 inc VAT :eek::eek:

1K0 963 235 F - £111.63 inc VAT :eek:

Unless I can get a second hand one then I feel its too pricey to justify self-installing one as still dont know if wiring is in place for it on my TDI VRS. Much cheaper to buy a portable PTC heater off Ebay and point it at the screen when needed - but not as satisfying.

Why these devices arent standard on modern Skoda diesels in cold damp countries like the UK I'll never know. (wife's Freelander has one and its great).

PS I bought they Audi TT gear selector mod from same Audi dealer (Sutton Coldfield) - he was only too happy to oblige.:thumbup:

The PTC heater is also available for Golf MkV in the UK.

Jetta and some Golf models (inc the Golf+) in the UK have them.

The heater is also a control unit and is linked via can bus to the diagnostic system. It also has a dedicated large power suppply from the E-box under the bonnet so would wiring it in would be a task if you wanted to make it OE. the wiring isnt there if it doesnt have the additional heater.

Cheers Lummox. Thats pretty much made my mind up to buy a PTC heater from ebay and stick it on the dash in cold weather. The cost plus the rewiring makes it all too much bother. Would have been a nice idea though.

• 1 year later...