Cautionary tale!!!

ap0gee1978

For reasons I'd probably best not go into, SWMBO's coolant temp sensor has been in and out of its port like a, er, um, sewing machine needle (phew - got away with that one! :D ) Anyway, the last-but-one time I was tinkering with it, I obviously didn't seat it properly against its O-ring. Fast-forward to the weekend, and I've had it out again, and something's not right. I takes me a moment or two to figure it out, but there's no coolant in the car! :eek: So I fill it back up again and - lo and behold - see the leak. Of course the beep-beep-beep and red light's on, but that's been coming on every morning anyway, so no attention was paid... :doh:

Purely by chance, SWMBO has taken my car to Leeds to see her sister, which a. has narrowly avoided a massive breakdown with baby and in-laws on the M62 and b. gives me the opportunity to check for any lasting damage. After an initial batch of mayo (short-run syndrome, I think), the engine seems fine and no signs (fingers crossed!) of any oil/coolant getting into the wrong place after a couple of decent runs.

I can think of only one time the car was used with the leak round the sensor, which shows just how quickly the system can empty from even quite a small opening. I think it's purely down to good fortune that the trip was a short one, and the weather's been so cold lately that I think I've avoided screwing the head gasket. One thing's for sure, I don't think I'll have the sensor on my expansion tank shorted any longer to stop the beep-beep-beeps. New tank for each of us, I think... :thumbup:

Off to add a footnote to my coolant temp sensor TG now!

Lucky escape there!

Breaking down in winter is a nasty experience.

I reused the old o-ring when I changed my sensor, so I made sure I cleaned all the crusty deposits off it and the housing. I had ordered a new o-ring, but the one the dealer supplied was totally wrong, so I made do.