00301 - ABS Return Flow Pump (V39)

Runner

FOR NEW READERS - SEE POST #7 FOR RECOMMENDED SOLUTION

Hi,
Before reading any further, please be aware that my interest in cars starts and stops with them being able to get me to & from a destination safely and reliably.

My wife has a 1.4 Fabia Hatchback (2000 X reg) which she has owned for about a year. Since she has had it, it appears that it is continually coming up with various fault lights that are costing me money to get sorted.
The latest problem is that the ABS warning light is on. Having taken it to my local garage (not Skoda dealership) I’ve been told that it is fault 00301 ABS Return Flow Pump (V39). I’ve also been told that they have checked the fuses and wiring which appear to be ok which leaves the fault with the Pump itself. Apparently a new pump will cost me £1300 which left me totally astounded.

· Is this a pump failure a common fault with this model?
· Are there any other options to try before I have to get a replacement (pump that is, not a wife, although this second option may be cheaper).
· Do you have any advice in trying to track this part down from a breakers yard?
· Very simply, what does this pump do and what makes it so expensive?
Thanks in anticipation of some advice

Edited by devonutopia

Not a common problem, but the ABS unit is expensive. I don't normally recommend the following with brake parts, but I would try to get one from a scrap yard. One from a car that been rear ended.

check out the "trade " price , the £1300 may be full retail

ABS pumps / Electronics are complicated thing to make and test , I used to go to Grau Girling Ltd, in Nuneaton 15 years ago ( one of my Customers ) and the test set up /assembly / machining plant cost over £3,000,000 then.

try this place --

BBA reman online catalogue ,

though you will need to ensure you get the right part ! ( should show on you estimate from the Garage for the repair )

no cost shown - let us know how much they are :)

for info ,there's one for the VW Polo @ £195 + vat ( + £75 if you don't send the old one back ) so that's about 10% of the cost ( though may be more for Skoda )

parts have 2 year guarantee , and no I don't work for them ,but have contacts in the Trade who do use these

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=819

Edited by zaragon

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Same fault code read using VAG-COM, same solution for Fabia 1.4 16V 2000 W reg! Awesome tips.

Had been quoted ~£500 for ABS Hydraulic Pump and ~£500 for Control Unit and ~£150 for labour by two Skoda dealers.

Also this has possibly resolved a problem with the alarm going off at random - fingers crossed! (When I reconnected the battery with this new fuse in place it triggered the alarm but since then (<1 day) it has not given a false alarm, whereas usually this would be several times a day.)

Got the replacement 40A strip fuse (for position 6 in battery fuse / junction box) from VW dealer (as used on Mk IV Golf) - cost = £2.50!

Pics below.

29381.attach

29382.attach

• Like 4

hi there, i've found this site to be a wonderful source of good tips. This is my first post although i've been a member for a while now.

My Fabia(the dreaded 1.4 16v 51 plate!:irked::irked:), has just failed its MOT with this code. Garage told me i'd be looking at £700 +vat +fitting to replace the pump. Found this post, popped the bonnet and hey presto, the fuse had blown. My question is: I've replaced the fuse and ABS Light and Traction Control lights are still on. If this was the cause of the fault, would the lights go out automatically or do they still need to be reset using VAG_COM(which i don't have)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Jfrz

Have you checked again to see if the fuse is still intact? Some of these blown fuses must be for a reason as normally its cause and effect - effect is fuse gets blown, cause is ?

Yeah, the fuse is still intact, but the lights are still on. My question was would they be expected to reset themselves if the fuse was the fault, or do you still need to use VAG-COM or such like to effectively clear the warning lights?

In my case the light went out on its own after I drove the car a short distance - you may have a different problem if the traction control light is also on though?

• 4 weeks later...

I've also got this 00301 ABS Return Fliow Pump -v39 fault showing up. I was told that I'd probably have to get a new pump but after reading this thread and viewing the images in Post 7 I went and checked my Fabia and indeed, the 40a special has blown. I hope the replacement will sort out the problem.

I've also been given a 16786 EGR System Flow 100kiIQH PO402 fault code. Can anybody help me with that? Should I start a new thread? Thanks.

PS

This really is a tip top forum.:D

I've also got this 00301 ABS Return Fliow Pump -v39 fault showing up. I was told that I'd probably have to get a new pump but after reading this thread and viewing the images in Post 7 I went and checked my Fabia and indeed, the 40a special has blown. I hope the replacement will sort out the problem.

I've also been given a 16786 EGR System Flow 100kiIQH PO402 fault code. Can anybody help me with that? Should I start a new thread? Thanks.

PS

This really is a tip top forum.:D

Excellent! I've sorted out the ABS problem with a new fuse. The lights are out. I've given the throttle body a clean but the engine fault light hasn't been put out???? Maybe I will have to take it to somebody with a vag-com to re-set? Anybody know if this is the case.....it wasn't with the ABS fault. Incidentally, I tried to clean the throttle body with the ignition switch turned to the correct position and asked a family memeber to press the throttle. The throttle flap didn't move. Shouldn't it have moved? Thanks in advance.....

Brilliant forum, I'm going to do exactly the same with my car....

My ABS light is on, so far I had 3 sensor replaced on my wheels and yesterday Skoda garage told me I would have to replace the ABS control unit.

Does anyone know the fuse 179 (amper 40)??? They said they replaced this to check if the light would go out but they were not sure where exactly the fuse was????

I assume it is not the same as the one you are talking about....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Next I'm going to look at the other fuses :)

You will be able to tell if one of the fuses has gone simply by looking at it (first attachment in that post). Your manual will tell you for definite which of those fuses no. 179 is, but like I say, anything more than 25A will be on top of the battery...

Brilliant, thanks very much! I'll check it out....

One more thing ... my Skoda garage didn't actually give me the list of all codes what's wrong with my car relating to ABS. They said it might be either pump or the control unit. Is this normal? Would they not know which one it is?

They didn't give me this list. I was there yesterday. Do I have the right to ask them for it?

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much for the info on the fuse. Like other people I had been told the pump was the likely probvlem with a replacement cost of £1300 !!. After checking the fuse had blown and after fitting a new one (£2.50) and the warning lights resetting the problem was solved.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for reviving this thread but I have the same problem and thanks to the invaluable help of all of you I have also managed to narrow it down to a blown fuse. As such I need to get a new one. Can anyone point to any places online who sell this? Would halfords etc also have these fuses?

Many thanks in advance

Apologies for reviving this thread but I have the same problem and thanks to the invaluable help of all of you I have also managed to narrow it down to a blown fuse. As such I need to get a new one. Can anyone point to any places online who sell this? Would halfords etc also have these fuses?

Many thanks in advance

It's a special link fuse only available from a dealer. Costs pennies.

• 1 month later...