Halting Alloy Wheel Lacquer Delamination

Niall

Just had the car washed and noticed that near the edge of the drivers side front alloy the lacquer has delaminated (currently the size of a £1 coin or thereabouts).

When the cars in for service next I'll see if anything can be done under warranty, otherwise any tips for stopping the rot spreading? With our first wee one imminently on it's way within the month I'm not in the mood for refurbing the wheel just yet when the money could be better spent.

I've also heard that due to the polished finish the Scout alloys are more of a pain to sort, though have no idea whether this actually true or not, just something I heard once from a Chipsaway guy......

Niall

If they won't do it under warranty (obviously you have never used acidic wheel cleaners ;) ) then i'd suggest just rubbing the edges of the damaged area with some very very fine wet and dry just to remove the obvious bits where they are peeling off.

You can then use a clear lacquer touch up pen to paint over the damaged area.

interested to hear about your wheels ,this is happening on all for of my wheels, i have a case set up whith customer service's at the moment, my dealer said they would replace all 4 wheels but i would have to pay up front and be re enburst if claim went through, skoda is claming this is a one off,there is no damage to the wheels and have only used soap and water to clean them.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

After patrol man's helpful post I went and had a look at all the wheels. They were all exhibiting signs of delaminating (generally spots no bigger than the size of a drawing pin head).

The car was in being serviced last week and I asked the dealer to have a look at the wheels.

He agreed they were all corroded and I took it back today to have all the wheels changed under warranty :thumbup: - apparently it's been quite a common occurence on Octy Scout alloys:thumbdwn:

As said above all four wheels were changed for free under warranty, though before the work was booked in last week the dealer did advise that one wheel may be rejected due to a scratch next to a delaminated area, so I may have to pay for one of them yet - we will see once the old wheels get collected by Skoda.

Still, seems a more customer friendly approach than expecting to pay for them upfront and then get a refund if the claim is accepted.

I did ask if the new wheels were a new batch/used different lacquer/any other technique to prevent the fault. Dealer didn't seem to think so. Will be keeping a close eye on the wheels between now and the warranty expiring in May 2010..........

Niall

A few years ago Audi Coupes had many, many claims. They had a BBS wheel that was supposed to look like a split-rim one, with screws around the edge. The laquer used to go around the holes. They changed hundreds.

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Australia.

Been having a look around due to alloy wheel woes with my Scout. Now feeling a bit better to see that I'm not the only one having issues with lacquer delamination. No joy with the dealer - spun me nonsense about stone damage. Apparently a Scout is not to be driven off the tarmac because the alloys are not tough enough:mad: I've had alloy wheels on cars for many years and have never seen anything like this. Really, it just looks like the wheels are rubbish quality:thumbdwn: Shame really. I really like the Scout.

28605.attach

Hello,

I have a 2005 Fabia VRS and it too is delaminating, too old to approach dealer for replacements.

I were a strictly car shampoo and water man, till quite recently went to No-water- polish. Then, I only use that on paintwork and trims etc, not wheels.

When I first had car, running finger across laquer on wheels, bits could be felt that were trapped under laquer.

Great finish car, but sad when it comes to wheel finishes.

Ian. 09/05/2009 :thumbdwn:

imo the original preparation of wheels is not up to that of a good powder coat refurbishment......

mazda are particularly bad when it comes to wheel laquer delamination / corrosion....

have seen loads replaced....

my suggestion is keep an eye on them whilst under warranty and get skoda to replace them and if you keep the car after warrany expires, get a good refurbishment done...

hope this helps.............

• 1 month later...
Just had the car washed and noticed that near the edge of the drivers side front alloy the lacquer has delaminated (currently the size of a £1 coin or thereabouts).

When the cars in for service next I'll see if anything can be done under warranty, otherwise any tips for stopping the rot spreading? With our first wee one imminently on it's way within the month I'm not in the mood for refurbing the wheel just yet when the money could be better spent.

I've also heard that due to the polished finish the Scout alloys are more of a pain to sort, though have no idea whether this actually true or not, just something I heard once from a Chipsaway guy......

Niall

Hi Niall, just noticed that my wheels are suffering what i think is the same issue? Does it look similar? :weeping:

29078.attach

Does it look similar?

I'm afraid so. Though yours appear to be in the early stages. By the time I caught mine the delaminated spots had fully lifted off the alloy whereas yours look more like a rash than spots at the moment!

Niall

• 4 months later...

My delamination was barely noticeable on two of my Scout wheels,

Happened to mention it at its first service recently and the dealer has just phoned me to tell me Skoda are repalcing them under warranty!

Result.

Guest wilkopilko

Had my offside rear replaced under warranty recently too, it was delaminating from the edge about 3 inches long or so.

I wonder if Skoda have improved the lacquer / paint quality?

My plan is to keep my Scout for a long time, not looking forward to having scabby looking alloys after the warranty expires...

If you ever want good wheel refurbs. I had my VX220 wheels done by a company in Hertfordshire called BVJ engineering (type wheel refurbishing into Google).

They were recommended by the VX forum & did a fantastic job..all 4 17 inch wheels for under £150! :thumbup:

Going to get the Golf wheels done there soon as the VRS arrives...

Amazed that they settled on that wheel finish for what's supposed to be a 'rough & tumble' model in the range! It'll eventually happen due to the finish, unless you're very careful, clean them regularly with a shampoo solution and don't go near grit/salt/the seaside :rolleyes:

Good result getting them sorted under warranty. I've heard of other wheel-related issues from others, and tales of lengthy battles with Skoda UK over it :rolleyes:

I would recommend putting some wheel sealant over them now, to give some protection. Jetseal 109 would be the weapon of choice.

Steve

Whats 'jetseal 109' ? is it a type of polish or a lacuer ? all I have done is waxsealed the suspension arms etc and polished the wheels, cheers - Stuart.

Have a look at any Passat SE model, they go really quick, I think it's more a case of brake dust and road salt that causes it rather than the cleaner used on them, little tip, rather than use wheel acids just use shampoo and a toothbrush, gets in all those rough areas where the casting isn't smooth.

I think it's more a case of brake dust and road salt that causes it rather than the cleaner used on them, little tip, rather than use wheel acids just use shampoo and a toothbrush, gets in all those rough areas where the casting isn't smooth.

I'd disagree with your comment about it not mattering about the cleaner used, but then you mention not using acid-based products...

So to be clear, if you use products such as Wonder Wheels, which are very aggressive and are acid-based, it will weaken and thin the lacquer on wheels finished in this way. So avoid this type of product and as above, use a shampoo solution instead. Or if they're particularly dirty, I use a fairly mild Meguiars APC solution (10:1 ratio) which is usually enough to shift more stubborn stains, even on wheels such as this.

Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner - 1 Gallon

Steve

• 4 months later...

just taken my scout to dealer as i have 3 that are showing signs of laquer delamination

the dealer said i may well have to pay for the tyres to be swoped anyone else had this or is it just my dealer trying it on?