Defective cruise control: can I change it myself?

Olio

Hi,

My cruise control stalk shows the usal symptoms: Sometimes not recognised from start, sometimes switches off while using it if using indicators.

Can I just buy a new one and replace the stalk myself, or is there some software update involved?

Thanks

Olivier

Thanks,

Do you know how much the part would be (failing that, the part #?)

I've been quoted £245 for the service (2nd variable, circa 24k miles) by Parkside, and this is accompanied by the tax and (a hopefully clear) MOT.

So any savings on replacing that dodgy stalk would be welcome.

I have to say, that 406 (2.0 HDI 110) had the best engine I've ever owned. Doing amazing MPG (easily 50+ on average, including many city miles), and regularly 800+ miles per tank.

Having said that, I had countless problems with the brakes / ABS, the aircon (compressor went), and the stereo

Anyway.

What are the chances that cleaning the stalk will solve the problem?

As some may know my cruise control has been broken for nearly 12 months now, with the car out of warranty I have kind of put up with it not working.

Today I decided to follow that guide, and blow me down. For the first time in nearly a year the cruise control works perfectly again.

When you remove the circuit board and look at the back where the contacts run up and down the carbon contacts you can see where dirt has got between the little metal contacts and the carbon. I wiped the carbon over a couple of times with surgical spirit and the board looked like new, put it all back together and thats about it.

Im also Really pleased to hear about this! :thumbup:

was really annoyed that my cruise control stopped working untill i found that guide, wich was so easy to do. saved me alot of money. only needed a can of contact cleaner and the cost was 3£ wich will last a life time :D

Not really relevant to the thread - but someone may find this snippet useful...

Have I seen somewhere that the new cruise stalk has On Cancel Off on the top?

Correct

I only discovered that by accident on Saturday... probably documented in the book & elsewhere on here but thought I'd share it for those who, like me, only RTFM when summin's gone wrong. :D

It is documented, can't remember where, I have been using the feature for years.

Wouldn't Isopropyl Alcohol (e.g. CD cleaning fluid) be better than both?

proberbly, but I didnt want to use anything to strong to avoid stripping the carbon coating from the contact surface.

No, it was in getting serviced only a few days prior to the Cruise not working.

The garage checked the codes for me, there was errors but they were Speaker errors, I'm thinking it maybe something to do with Parrot as it's been giving some issues lately, but Nothing showed in relation to the cruise.

• 1 month later...

I've ordered some isopropyl alcohol, and done the job using a cotton bud.

The contacts on the PCB seemed very dirty (or was it a protective layer?). Cleaning the flexible arms showed little dirt on the bud, but cleaning these contacts made it all black.

Everything seem to work fine now, as I have used the cruise control AND indicate, without disabling it. Which you'll agree make it marginally safer.

Great tip.