Help with code 01290

Johnr990

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my steering assist sometimes not assisting (when parking)

normal driving seems ok. have put on VAG COM with following fault;

Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 423 156 G

Component and/or Version: Lenkhilfe 0004

Software Coding: 00110

Work Shop Code: WSC 00000

1 Fault Found:

01290 - Reference Voltage: Steering Assist

29-00 - Short to Ground

I posted on Fabia 1 recently and forfan suggested I checked module 44 steering,

08 and look at measuring blocks 001 & 002 with engine running, which I did with following results;

001, 14V, 4-60A, 17degC, ON

002, 0.0deg/s, 1306/min, 1331/min, 4-60A

The 14V I take as the voltage which goes from 12 -14V or so, also the current goes from 4-60A when I move the steering wheel but the angle velocity always remains at 0.0 deg/s, whatever I do with the steering wheel. Engine just ticking over all time.

This suggests to me my steering sensor is faulty, but if this is so why does the power steering still work mostly? also there is another steering wheel sensor under the steering wheel (according to Haynes), could this be the faulty one?

Any Ideas?

• 1 year later...

i have also this error

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 6Q0-423-156.lbl

Part No: 6Q0 423 156 E

Component: Lenkhilfe 0001

Coding: 00110

Shop #: WSC 00000

1 Fault Found:

01290 - Reference Voltage; Steering Assist

29-00 - Short to Ground

Sunday,28,November,2010,08:55:47:13314

VCDS Version: Release 908.0

Data version: 20090911

14.09 V Voltage (Terminal 30)

5.0 A Pump Motor Voltage

12.0°C Control Module Temperature

ON Pump Motor Status

0.0°/s Steer. Aid Sensor Angular Velocity

1306 /min Pump Motor Speed (specified)

1306 /min Pump Motor Speed (actual)

5.0 A Pump Motor Voltage

Yes Steering Aid Sensor (G250)

3848 h Power Steering Activation Time

2236 Power Steering Activation Counter

13.77 V Voltage (Terminal 15)

there is nobody here who can help us

or maybe you have solved this problem until now

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem on a 2001 Fabia.

Same code, steering assist works fairly good but warning light is on.

From investigating this a bit, my take on this is:

1. The pump it self seems to be working. Amps are changing as I turn the wheel, it does assist steering and is not over heated (and does not overheat as i drive it).

2. The 01290 code indicates a sensor or sensor wiring problem. http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic95241-1-1.aspx

3. Looking at the measuring block for the steering angle rate, this is zero. To me, this further indicates a sensor related problem, rather than the pump or anything else. I would expect this to change as I turn the wheel if everything was healthy.

4. Looking at the terminal voltage I can see that this never drops from ~14V, hence I rule out batteries or power cable related problems. Before proceeding I will however check the ground cable from the battery.

Summary: Replace the G250 Steering angle sensor including its wires.

The original poster asked about a second sensor bellow the steering wheel. According to http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_259.pdf this sensor is called G85. G85 replaces the G250 on cars equipped with ESP. My car only have the ASR (antispin) function hence it has a G250.

The G250 comes in two flawors, TRW or KOYO. I could not read wich one I have from VCDS but looking at the PDF above it seems like these two makes have a different looking dipstick/filler cap for the hydraulic fluid for the power steering. I have the TRW version.

It would be nice to KNOW that the steering angle rate should be changing in VCDS for this specific car, before buying a new sensor?

Br,

Mathias

Edited by MathiasS

@Mathias, feel free to contact me directly via email and include a scan from your specific vehicle. We should be able to answer this question then...

Sunday,28,November,2010,08:55:47:13314

VCDS Version: Release 908.0

Data version: 20090911

Congrats, you're using an illegal copy of VCDS. ;) Guess you knew that already which is why you didn't update yet. ;)

@Mathias, feel free to contact me directly via email and include a scan from your specific vehicle. We should be able to answer this question then...

Thanks, will do tomorrow.

I have ordered the spare part (TRW G250) but I can still return it.

• 3 years later...