Battery charge light not illuminating with ignition, + other elecrtrical faults

I'm looking for some help/advice.

I swear that before recently, the battery light (red, with terminal symbols above the two top corners) illuminated every time I turned on the ignition in the Fabia vRS. This no longer happens.

A week ago the light was intermittently flashing when the ignition was on and would go out once the engine was started.

At no point does the light come on when the engine is started.

Anyone got any ideas? I recall a similar problem with my previous fabia where one of the wires running from the alternator was slightly too short (cost cutting I guess) and had snapped with movement of the engine. Can anyone point me in the right direction here - and have any of the technical amongst us had this problem before?

Thanks for any help! Ed.

either your bulb has blown or your cable has snapped easiest way to check it is to take smallest wire off alternator (warning light wire) and to short it to earth with ignition on if it comes on then your alternator is faulty or if it doesnt come on then its either the fuse or the warning light bulb which is blown-if it is the fuse then establish why its blown b4 u relace it ie see what other circuits it protects hope this helps mate

I'd put a tenner on the DFM wire has broken inbeween the alternator and the dash insert.

The good news is its a really easy fix as the plug that the wires go through is right infront of the gearbox in a little metal bracket. Two pin plug, just cut it out, extend the wires and secure it up.

Seems to effect all the TDi Fabias.

I'd put a tenner on the DFM wire has broken inbeween the alternator and the dash insert.

The good news is its a really easy fix as the plug that the wires go through is right infront of the gearbox in a little metal bracket. Two pin plug, just cut it out, extend the wires and secure it up.

Seems to effect all the TDi Fabias.

Thanks Ross - it was exactly this wire and had broken off at the plug on the alternator side.

All fixed now after 45 minutes of me swearing at how little space there is to work in the engine bay of the fabia :D - and this was an easily accesisble wire, too!