early results - mixing 2-stroke oil into derv

Basil

Following on from this informative thread: http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/2-stroke-oil-diesel/141513/

I decided what the heck - to give it a go with the (Sulphurated) local derv out here..

The recommended mix is 1:200 which is about 250cc for a brimmed Fabia tank. Due to me not paying attention I put in closer to 400cc (which the German OP in one of the links suggests as a first-time dose anyhow).

Very early results (26km only):

1- Far smoother starting (with the uprated injectors I would get a shudder or two and a cloud of smoke as a norm). Not this time.

2- Scary-quiet engine (I half expect summat to go bang at any second). It's not a maybe - the normal clatter of the PD injectors has been cut by about 40% at least.Kept looking at the rev-counter to check it was running normally.

3- very smooth power delivery - the low-end has become silky-smooth

4- Smoke on a brisk acceleration on-boost is not seen now (used to get a faint trail), the smoke on a sudden WOT 5th gear at 60mph is less black.

5- Power is not noteably affected, would need a RR to show any real change.

There is far more detailed and informative links/info in the post above- benefits are supposed to be 3-4 more cetane points, hotter combustion, less smoke (as measured by TUV standards over 50% less), up to 10% more economy, smoother engine and you look younger :rolleyes:. If I got it right- using a mineral or semi-synthetic 2-stroke oil is supposed to be safe IF you have a DPF or CAT (I have neither...)

Extremely early days so far, but I think this is interesting. I certainly want to continue this trial. As Millers is not available locally, this seems to be a possible long-term additive for me to use.

If anything goes bang or summat fails, I promise to post it up asap. This post is not advocating this "mod" at all, just reporting on my own findings which seem to match those found in the links.....

Cheers

Bas

• Like 1

Interesting, brave man, or should that be Guinea Pig :rofl:

I'll take guinea pig. In my limited experience I've noticed that things generally run best before they go bang......

I generally reset the trip at every fill. Will continue to drive in the same erratic manner and not try to deliberately drive for economy (as if :rolleyes:). An increase in mileage of 10% more should show up pretty easily, getting about 750km for 50L.....

Bas

Thanks for that D-M. Dont worry if anything goes tits up, I wont blame you for starting this whole 2-stroke thing, lol.

I saw that point regarding the PD engines - mine has 57K kms, 2005 model.

I want to take it back what I said about the power - low and mid do indeed feel more powerful. So smooth it's unreal.....

Hope to clean up the K&N airfilter this weekend - had about 4 sandstorms the last 3 months. Finally found a local supplier for the cleaning kit and bought it tonite....

Joy!

Bas

Edited by Basil

I think I'll stick with Millers DPS 4 for now.

I am sure in the handbook of our old Citroen AX Diesel it said you can mix a gallon of Unleaded with a full tank of Diesel in winter to stop it from waxing up. Nowadays this is not necessary because in winter months (from October) additives are applied to prevent waxing in Diesel. I also would not do it due to the high pressures of PD or CR.

Edited by Jim H

Basil, Remember when you have cleaned you Filter, Do NOT over-oil it, you will kill your MAF.

Thanks mate - have been careful with the oiling the last 3 cleanings, but that warning always bears repeating...

Should do a MAF log to check on it, but likely will just use some contact cleaner to do a no-touch MAF cleaning after the re-oiled air filter has been running a couple of weeks. I read somewhere that done extremely carefully this isn't a bad idea if you're using an oiled air filter....

Car continues to behave the same way. Some people in the threads listed elsehwere have been running with this for years with yearly TUV checkups- my first 100km seems great. I really shouldnt mess with the airfilter till I've used up the tank - to get a true idea of the effect of the 2-stroke on economy.

Cheers

Bas

I need to look at this in more detail ....... I have got 4 liters of Silkolene Comp 2 Plus 2 stroke oil in the garage left over from the days when I had a 2 stroke supermoto ....... still sealed up so should be good.

Well done Bas :thumbup:

Edited by Fluffmeister
numptyness, if had 40 liters of it, the Americans would have a carrier battlegroup parked in the ship canal ready to invade

Just wondering, whats the comparison between 2-stroke and Millers.

Whats the price per gallon like and stuff like that? That will be interestig if 2-stroke is cheaper or better for the same price.

Dave

Are we talking normal run of the mill 2 stroke oil that you can get from a garage (red colour)? only ask as that's all I have ever put in me motorcycle? can you get non-red oil?

Sorry for sounding thick here? :confused:

I currently use Millers 4 at £60 for 5 litres and put 100ml in per tankful (2x recommended?). This gives £1.20 per fill up. It works well. If 2 stroke costs £6 a litre then at 330ml it costs £2 per fill up. If 2 stroke drops to £3.60 per litre then the costs are identical. All the same I think I'll try it just one time and compare after all 80p in £40 is not worth too much worry.

There's some discussion about the red colour and red diesel in the links mentioned in the post I referred to in the OP. I didnt pay much attention as it's not an issue for me being in Bahrain. The colourless dye used in red diesel was also mentioned...It obviously should NOT be in any oil you choose to use...

Be a neat comparison IF anyone decides to try this on their own responsibility - to compare a PD with 250cc of 2-stroke oil in the tank to a CR without. One wonders, lol...The smoothness is dramatic....

Bas