HELP!! Losing coolant.

A leaking EGR cooler would be difficult to visually diagnose.

Also:

Pull the plastic cover off the top of the engine, there are a few small coolant pipes under it near the fuel pipes that run from the fuel filter to the tandem pump, I found one of those cheapo spring clips weeping coolant down the front of the block, a jubilee clip sorted it.

Don't want to scar you, but the same thing happened on my Audi A3 2.0 TDI and that resulted in a new cyllinder head (out of warranty - £3000 ish). It's a very common fault on these engines (head becomes porous), so if you are still under warranty get it to a dealer fast and arm yourself with as much info as possible. My EGR cooler was the original diagnosis and that cured nothing. Do a search on 'Audi A3 coolant loss' or 'Golf coolant loss' and you will find lots of forums where people have had the same problems !

don't want to scar you, but the same thing happened on my audi a3 2.0 tdi and that resulted in a new cyllinder head (out of warranty - £3000 ish). It's a very common fault on these engines (head becomes porous), so if you are still under warranty get it to a dealer fast and arm yourself with as much info as possible. My egr cooler was the original diagnosis and that cured nothing. Do a search on 'audi a3 coolant loss' or 'golf coolant loss' and you will find lots of forums where people have had the same problems !

+1