Huzzah! My rear wiper jet no longer rotates with the arm

Thanks to a.r.miller my rear jet no longer rotates with the wiper arm :D

Picked up repair kit V8L0 998 711 from my local VW dealer for £25.09 and fitted it today. Was a piece of piddle, although I sheared a torx screw in half (doh)

I took photos in case anyone wanted a guide on how to do it, but the instructions are straight forward if in broken english.

Removing the rear boot trim is easy peasy, I used a wooden spatchler under the bit by the lock and pulled down, was off in about 10 seconds

Check out its majesty:

3536215838_2c6e8c44a2.jpg

3536198584_6031bdc73b.jpg?v=0

• Like 2

This kit of bits looks quite interesting to me, I started a thread due to my wife's Polo rear wiper making a sort of ratcheting noise on the "return" sweep, its now stopped that by itself but now is starting to make a quieter roughish noise during the "out" sweep. Where did you find out about the availability of this repair kit? I originally thought that any wiper motor trouble would mean dumping the complte motor as no individual parts were on the parts list I looked at.

Yes, thanks for that, I found who you were refering to after I posted my reply, so its good to know that the motor comes to bits - at least buying and fitting this kit will let me find out what has or is happening to this rear wiper AND provide some new bits to keep it working for another few years (hopefully). Now my wife can't just grump at me for "being on" forums as its her car that needs this sorting before it fails completely.

Picked up repair kit V8L0 998 711 from my local VW dealer for £25.09 and fitted it today. Was a piece of piddle, although I sheared a torx screw in half (doh)

I took photos in case anyone wanted a guide on how to do it, but the instructions are straight forward if in broken english.

Removing the rear boot trim is easy peasy, I used a wooden spatchler under the bit by the lock and pulled down, was off in about 10 seconds

Check out its majesty:

3536215838_2c6e8c44a2.jpg

3536198584_6031bdc73b.jpg?v=0

Hello,

My Fabia VRS washer jet does not move as washer jet, like your picture, strikes centre of rear screen. The cover over the jet has a large slot which allows jet of water to strike screen, while wiper is moving.

Hope that helps you. Ian. 16/05/2009 :thumbup:

Hello,

My Fabia VRS washer jet does not move as washer jet, like your picture, strikes centre of rear screen. The cover over the jet has a large slot which allows jet of water to strike screen, while wiper is moving.

Hope that helps you. Ian. 16/05/2009 :thumbup:

Maybe I'm thick, but I'm sure the OP knew that this was the way that rear wipers/washers should work - or have I missed the point somewhere?

That would be much appreciated, as Im lookin at replacing mine in due course!

Maybe I'm thick, but I'm sure the OP knew that this was the way that rear wipers/washers should work - or have I missed the point somewhere?

Hello,

Reading "Confused Cheese" initial statement, he believed that jet should move with wiper. So sorry, point was missed.

Ian. 17/05/2009 ;)

Hello,

Reading "Confused Cheese" initial statement, he believed that jet should move with wiper. So sorry, point was missed.

Ian. 17/05/2009 ;)

:rofl: I always believed it should stay still, as mine always used to. It only started moving with the arm 3-4 days ago which is why I decided to fix it in case leaks started

The tubes had rusted inside mine so bad that I couldn't even pull them apart with some pliers. I smacked it 2-3 times with a hammer too and it only moved about half an inch.

On the new ones I covered the inner tube in water repellent silicone grease to hopefully stop any water ingress from causing rust again! Along with all the other grease supplied with the kit externally

Oh, dear, the kit that I bought is not the correct one for a 2003MY VW Polo - the spindle and water tube are about 3/4" too short! So, does anyone know the P/N of any other VAG rear wiper repair kits? My car has the earlier 6Q6 995 711 motor - VW changed to the later 6Q6 995 711 A motor shortly after my car was built!

Okay, I've been a silly person and guessed that all the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza models would use (roughly) the same rear wiper motors - wrong! The repair kit that I should have bought for a Polo 9N with a 6Q6 955 711 rear wiper motor is probably 6Q6 988 711! Lesson learned I suppose - but I would have just gone and bought a new motor assembly if I had not read this thread, so I'll still "be up" about £20! Strange thing is, I looked up my VCDS chassis selection bit to find out what a "8L" chassis was and found that it was A3/S3, so, I looked an old copy of ETOS to see what rear wiper motor the A3/S3 used - then looked up the electrical section repair kits for the A3/S3 and 8L0 998 711 is listed as a repair kit for headlight washers - which clearly it isn't! Its a strange old world sometimes.

sorry to hear about your bad luck rum4mo, but you could try to flog it in the for sale section if its not damaged? :)

oh and I hope the other part # is the right one!

Sell it on - probably not, removing the water tube from the cover (in a bad mood - got man flu!) ended up with the edge of the flange breaking off - only an insignificantly small part - but still it broke! Grease has been mainly used up on hands wipes etc and I've left the new gasket and top seals on. One really good thing is though, removing the wiper arm took about an hour using pulleys and releasall - it was corroded on really badly - I was worried that I might end up breaking the wiper arm. At one point I thought about hacksawing the old hollow shaft and water tube to let me get on with this job - lucky I didn't - pity I didn't use my common sense and compare the removed parts with the new before being amazed by the lack of threaded shaft poking up out of the tailgate! Still, the wiper arm will come off easily next time and I've had a chance to do a "dry run"! So its not all bad - just could have been better!

Edited by rum4mo
corrected text - added didn't! and removed a bit!!

Ouch. I don't remember my wiper being hard to get off. Shortly after getting the car I put the polo wiper on the back, but then I can't say when it was last removed before that. I remember there being a little rust, but nothing major.

Ouch. I don't remember my wiper being hard to get off. Shortly after getting the car I put the polo wiper on the back, but then I can't say when it was last removed before that. I remember there being a little rust, but nothing major.

Well, I'm afraid that I did exactly the same thing, about a couple of months after I bought the car new back in late 2002 - it came with the "old style" non-aero blade. I certainly did not over tighten it at that time. The Polo sucks up everything on to its tailgate - its already trashed two hatch handles (corrosion), so that is probably why it ended up seizing the rear wiper arm to the shaft.

That would be much appreciated, as Im lookin at replacing mine in due course!

Now that I have sorted out this problem on my wife's Polo 9N - different repair kit number - I've had a look at what had gone wrong and managed to remove the water spray bar from the wiper shaft. It might be worth while, if you are tight, ie don't like to spend money, to, after removing the wiper arm, remove the motor power connector, remove the motor cover screws, rotate the cover with the water spray bar still clipped into it and lever out the wiper shaft so that you now have the cover + water spray bar + wiper shaft as one piece. remove the plastic spray nozzle in a non destructive manner, then spray some release fluid into the top where the nozzle was as that is where there will be a build up of rusty gunge. I thought originally that the spray bar was gripping the wiper shaft, but at least in my case it was the plastic nozzle that was gripping the wiper shaft and that was why it was moving with the wiper. If you have a 3.5mm (I think) punch, then tap that down the hollow shaft to dislodge the water spray bar, clean it all up - use "green scourer" pad on the water spray bar, pick out the gunge from the top of the wiper shaft - remember to recover the very very small O-ring seal, apply lightish grease to all parts and refit all parts, you will need to reseat the top larger O-ring on the wiper shaft after the motor is reassembled as well as refitting the top bush - find a small socket that will clear the shaft taper and press in using that. Remember to refit the very very small O-ring over the top of the water tube, then refit the nozzle and it will drive the very very small O-ring down to where it should be. Alternatively you could just buy a new kit of bits for £30 inc VAT - but, if you are fussy, be prepared to spend some time "dressing" the mechanism as both new ones that I bought were very tight near both ends.

Oh, and do not do as I did and use a drill as a punch or drift - they tend to be convex at the "chuck end" - and that will bell out the water tube - but heh hoh I was just seeing what was possible with the old bits after fitting the new bits! (nothing else useful to do - don't tell wife though!)

BTW, you sheared a screw! the body of the motor I was working on was plastic - so you are a lucky boy - but in all fairness, the two torx screws included in the kit must be there for a reason!