2.0 TDi 4x4 Noise/Vibration?

Hi. My octavia 4x4 is sounding a bit 'boomy' with some vibration aorund 2300 - 2400rpm regardless of gear or acceleration. Its not a huge problem but noticable given its around 70mph in 6th. The noise isn't too bad when cruising but you can feel it through the seat :shakehead

Anyone else come across this? Any ideas?

Cheers

check prop shaft.

Had very similar symptons (-got worse when heavily loaded) Dealer disconnected prop and found it was slightly mal-formed. Fitted new one and all ok

(Excellent service from dealer Martin Beever York)

Cheers for the reply, though i hope your wrong as it sounds expensive!! If i change down at the same speed to 5th, it doesn't make the vibration. 5th at the same revs, again the vibration is there. This why i'm thinking it isn't the driveshaft, or is it a resonance thing?

I get some "resonance" at lower revs (not sure the exact range), wouldn't have described it as "booming" though. I'll watch this thread with interest!

Can you feel it through the seat though?

Can you feel it through the seat though?

No, it's just noise in my case. I've not compared it to any other Octy, let alone a 4x4. It tends to be within a certain lowish rev range though. To me it just sounds like some soundproofing etc vibrating. Slightly irritating, but I'm not too worried about it at the mo...

yeah --all sounds like mine did.

vibrated at same revs in 4th, 5th and vibration went through pedals/seat and then whole car when heavily laden.

--fill your car with bags of sand and see what it feels like!!

Dealer cured mine under warranty--how old is yours? FSH?

someone on forum may be able to look up part no. and price for you of prop shaft

--maybe room for a goodwill repair 1/2 skoda 1/2 yourself?

yeah --all sounds like mine did.

vibrated at same revs in 4th, 5th and vibration went through pedals/seat and then whole car when heavily laden.

--fill your car with bags of sand and see what it feels like!!

Dealer cured mine under warranty--how old is yours? FSH?

someone on forum may be able to look up part no. and price for you of prop shaft

--maybe room for a goodwill repair 1/2 skoda 1/2 yourself?

Ok i'll load it up and see what happens. Not sure about the warranty, it's 3yr old in december, but 66k on the clock. Fsh but last couple don't seem to be main dealer.

• 1 year later...

Just got same problem in my 57 Octavia 2.0D 4wd estate - also the ABS pump failure - quoted £2k to fix both and Skoda visit to garage refused goodwill payment!

I will try contacting Skoda direct

Can propshaft and ABS fixing kit parts be ordered anywhere else apart from a Skoda dealer?

Vince

What warning lights are showing on the ABS fault? There is a repair kit for certain faults that costs £129 plus VAT instead of a new pump at £1,000. Dealer diagnostic should tell for sure.

As to prop shaft, remember the rubber coupling in the rear shaft which can wear around the 60k mark, that is worth checking before replacing shafts.

What warning lights are showing on the ABS fault? There is a repair kit for certain faults that costs £129 plus VAT instead of a new pump at £1,000. Dealer diagnostic should tell for sure.

As to prop shaft, remember the rubber coupling in the rear shaft which can wear around the 60k mark, that is worth checking before replacing shafts.

ABS - ESP light on continuously - dealer told me it would require new pump - haven't asked about the fixing kit yet.

Propshaft (or rear coupling?) is due to vibration in higher gears at 2300 to 2500 rpm only done 35k miles - again dealers saying it would need propshaft replacement.

There are others more knowledgeable than me who may be able to help but I suspect ABS & ESP probably does mean the whole pump if the diagnostics confirm it. It seems a common problem so a search on here will probably turn up some more examples.

Dealer diagnostics can be variable depending on the dealer, it might be worthwhile checking the recommendations part of the site to see how your dealer scores or to find a recommendation in your area to get a second opinion?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

propshaft assembly now replaced - cost me £700 after goodwill percentage - fixed no vibration or noise!

Thanks to this thread , I managed to solve a similar problem on my Scout .

The car was outside the manufacturers warranty and fortunately I was persuaded by this forum to take up a further warranty in view of the number of serious potential problems that these models are prone to .

When Warrantywise heard that the part alone was about £ 1000 they turned round and said that they could supply a generic manufactured part for £ 325 + VAT ! I was not happy , especially since I had paid an extra premium to have the car repaired at a Skoda garage where all parts are guaranteed for 2 years . Eventually Skoda and the warranty company got together and fitted a new Skoda propshaft at no cost to myself with a 2 year warranty .

I have not followed up this potential dilemma with Warrantywise but anyone taking up such a warranty might be advised to clarify the question of branded or generic parts .

Steve W

propshaft assembly now replaced - cost me £700 after goodwill percentage - fixed no vibration or noise!

Afternoon,I have exactly this problem on my Octavia scout but can not find any play in either end of the propshaft. Did the dealer explain what had gone wrong with yours?.

Afternoon,I have exactly this problem on my Octavia scout but can not find any play in either end of the propshaft. Did the dealer explain what had gone wrong with yours?.

Not sure , but there was some talk that the shaft had maybe lost some balancing weights .(?)

Steve W

• 4 months later...

I have an Octavia Scout TDI DSG bought in march 2011. drove in 1 year 40'000 km.

With the original summer tire i never had a problem (original dunlop 225/50/17). Last october the garage mounted 4 winter tire, continental wintercontact 830 ts, 205/55/16. i noticed immediately some vibration when driving at constant speed on freeways from 100 km/h (62mph) upwards. The garage noticed that the tired were not perfectly round so i received a new set. After aprox. 300-400 km the same vibration started again. i changed again to summer tire and no vibration. the winter tires are on skoda-VW original aluminun wheel and the tires where tested for balance on 4 different machine, always with the same result......perfectly balanced. i am not sure what to look for and neither the skoda garage is. they will try my tires on a skoda 4x4 but not scout, lets wait & see....... the garage says that the prop shaft cannot be the problem because i should have more vibration now with the summer tires, which are wider and with harder rubber.........Any ideas would be really appriciated?

• 10 months later...
Guest wilkopilko

I think the old girls propshaft is on it's way out now too (2007 - 105k miles) can be felt slightly in most gears under acceleration but mostly felt around 75-80mph in 6th also under acceleration.

Vibration under the seat with the hum, getting worse, oh what I'd give to have the know-how, ramp and parts available.....me wallets smoking already....

I think the old girls propshaft is on it's way out now too (2007 - 105k miles) can be felt slightly in most gears under acceleration but mostly felt around 75-80mph in 6th also under acceleration.

Vibration under the seat with the hum, getting worse, oh what I'd give to have the know-how, ramp and parts available.....me wallets smoking already....

Could that also not be down to the DMF?

Reminds me of my old Capri which eat its way through two propshafts in the space of two years. Praying the Octy 4x4 doesn't develop a similar appetite...

Guest wilkopilko

Could that also not be down to the DMF?

I don't know, not really read up enough about the DMF, but it does feel/sound similar to a propshaft issue I had many years ago, a kind of gruff vibration under acceleration that actually does feel like some loose/worn linkage directly beneath the car if that makes sense. Like another poster on here reported, I too use cruise a lot when doing the Scotland run and haven't noticed it until much recently, the trouble is the local Skoda dealer has a very poor reputation in quality and price :sweat: .

Guest wilkopilko

Apologies for bringing this up again but felt I needed to give an update for those with similar problems. In reading through numerous posts here and other VAG forums I decided to change the fuel filter as a cheap thing to try before looking at the expensive options and it has actually cured the problem. No vibrations at all, there must have been some starvation of fuel which affected acceleration mainly in 6th gear at 2-2.5k RPM - anyway vibration fault sorted for £14! :happy: