EGR Valve - failure or faulty sensor?

mrh

Hi,

After finally getting my car back on the road, after its spent 10 weeks waiting for an ECU, it gave me the magic "Workshop Emissions" warning.

Vag-Com says...

"19586 - EGR System: Regulation Range Exceeded

P3130 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent"

When this first happened I'd driven 30miles to work, left the car all day, then started the drive home and within 1 mile the warning light had come on.

After scanning with vag-com and seeing it was an EGR error, I took a look under the bonnet and spotted the vacuum hose to the top of the EGR was wearing a flat spot and looking a bit thin.

This was quickly sorted and the error code cleared.

The 30miles to work this morning was uneventful and the error message stayed off.

At this point I thought I'd fixed it.

After leaving work the warning light appeared again within a mile.

I've scanned it and got the same error code.

Does this seem like a legitimate EGR failure mode, or a faulty sensor?

The bit I don't understand is why the error message didn't appear on the 30mile drive to work, but within 1 mile of leaving work it did appear?

Does anyone know how the EGR fault is detected?

Any help greatly appreciated.

If it looks like a real EGR fault I'll take the EGR off and give it a good clean.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Check the hose that runs off the back of the EGR towards the bulkhead, if this has rubbed the engine cover it will have a hole in it and also will throw the light on, and it might take 50 miles of stops and starts to clear the fault light so make sure you do this before looking deeper into your wallet.

Check the hose that runs off the back of the EGR towards the bulkhead, if this has rubbed the engine cover it will have a hole in it and also will throw the light on, and it might take 50 miles of stops and starts to clear the fault light so make sure you do this before looking deeper into your wallet.

Thanks Supurbia,

I've changed the hose, reset the error light then drove home and all looked great. The next time I used the car the warning light came on within minutes of setting off...

Is it worth cleaning the valve, or will it need replacing?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

I had a new one myself, but mine was making knocking noises, there are two other cheap options, one it's the coolant temp sensor throwing the light on and the other is to check all the pipes that run across the rear of the engine on the bulkhead and to the air filter box, I'd also check that hose again, if you've just taped it up it can still read faulty and also if you've fitted it where it naturally sits it's likely to wear through again, experience talking btw, took me 3 efforts before I got the new piece cut to the right length to route without anything vibrating against it, there wasn't a part for it, I just had to buy a metre of the correct hose and make my own, I got it from VW and it was about £15 iirc.

Hi,

I've replaced the hose completely and it's currently running without the engine cover on.

VAG-COM still has it as a EGR fault. Would vag com incorrectly identify the coolant temp sensor as an EGR fault?

Thanks

Matthew

Hi,

I've replaced the hose completely and it's currently running without the engine cover on.

VAG-COM still has it as a EGR fault. Would vag com incorrectly identify the coolant temp sensor as an EGR fault?

Thanks

Matthew

I wouldn't think so, but it could be just coincidence that the sensor may be failing right on top of the egr hose, I would run it a few days and see if the light goes, it takes quite a few stop start cycles to clear a fault light on these cars ime, if it doesn't go off you should read the code again and see if it's still the same code, if it is then I guess the only thing is to clean it, might be worth checking if the new ECU needs educating through a main dealer machine just incase there are different model egr's, which I'm sure there isn't, try taking the battery leads off overnight before spending, but you do seem to be in the world of find the pin right now, iirc the egr will only send the light on if other things read the pressure going through it isn't right etc.

• 1 year later...

My daughter just bought a used Skoda Superb 2005, 120.000km on the clock.

Got "Workshop Emissions" after 15 minutes.

We went to a Skoda dealer, and they read out the code: 19586 P3130 035

Drove home: 1920km :-)

Seached the Internet, found this forum/posts.

After removeing the Engine Cover we found exactly the problem as described in this forum;

"Check the hose that runs off the back of the EGR towards the bulkhead, if this has rubbed the engine cover it will have a hole in it and also will throw the light on, and it might take 50 miles of stops and starts to clear the fault light so make sure you do this before looking deeper into your wallet."

The Engine Cover had rubbed a hole in the hose running from the valve at the top of the engine.

Replaced the hose, and after a few km's and some start/stops, the Engine Warning signal got off.

So Thanks to You Guys for sharing this information on the Internet, possibly saved us a lot of money.

Just one Question, what sort of "VAG-COM" instrument are you using to get so detailed codes?

Best regards, Schnellfahrer(daily driving a Saab 9-3 19Tid 2008)

Edited by Schnellfahrer