Fabia 1.4 MPi timing chain

Hello folks,

I know this problem has been mentioned before but I saw the post after I had replaced the timing chain and sprockets. The new chain kit was purchased from ebay and the company describe it as a genuine part. It certainly looks genuine enough. Anyway the old Fabia was running ok but the Idle was a bit rough and the chain was a noisy (124,600 miles). So I decided to replace the chain and sprockets....which I did. When I took the car for a run it was immediately apparent that something was wrong, it wasn't pulling properly and would only do about 45 MPH. To make matters worse the engine management light came on. That is when I saw the post on BRISKODA about the timing mark on the new crankshaft sprocket being one tooth further away from the keyway than the original sprocket. Unfortunately I didn't notice the difference! So apart it all came again and moved the crank sprocket so it aligned with the 13th pin on the chain instead of the 12th pin as stated in the manual. Anyway, all's well that ends well and the car drives very nicely, plus the idle is much better than it was. Incidentally the engine management light extinguished itself....the code was 17549: Load calculation cross check range/performance...whatever that means! Hope this prevents some poor soul doing this job twice.I have attached a photo of the old and new timing chain assemblies

30852.attach

Edited by fenderman
photo not attached

• 8 months later...

hi guys, my girfriends fabia has the timing chain rattle, is this a big job and do you know how much an independant garage would charge?

any help would be great, thanks, shaun.

I had mine done last week, i went and bought the part and then got the garage to fit it, garage cost me £80 and the part cost me £46 inc p&p

http://www.jorily.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_18&products_id=240

this is the 8 valve

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I know this problem has been mentioned before but I saw the post after I had replaced the timing chain and sprockets. The new chain kit was purchased from ebay and the company describe it as a genuine part. It certainly looks genuine enough. Anyway the old Fabia was running ok but the Idle was a bit rough and the chain was a noisy (124,600 miles). So I decided to replace the chain and sprockets....which I did. When I took the car for a run it was immediately apparent that something was wrong, it wasn't pulling properly and would only do about 45 MPH. To make matters worse the engine management light came on. That is when I saw the post on BRISKODA about the timing mark on the new crankshaft sprocket being one tooth further away from the keyway than the original sprocket. Unfortunately I didn't notice the difference! So apart it all came again and moved the crank sprocket so it aligned with the 13th pin on the chain instead of the 12th pin as stated in the manual. Anyway, all's well that ends well and the car drives very nicely, plus the idle is much better than it was. Incidentally the engine management light extinguished itself....the code was 17549: Load calculation cross check range/performance...whatever that means! Hope this prevents some poor soul doing this job twice.I have attached a photo of the old and new timing chain assemblies

Thanks fenderman for this info.

I have a MIA strat too, just got it a year ago . . . . . :rofl:

I had the timing mark repositioned and it runs like a energiser bunny now.

Thanks folks for the info.

I hope the others who are due for a timing chain change do look at this

thread first before doing it, its a real pain doing it twice

• 3 years later...

Just an update for anyone interested. I bought a new timing chain kit & gasket from my local Skoda dealer for £22.00 last week. 

The parts department told me that the marking issue has been corrected on the latest batch.

The kit I bought was marked correctly & now my Fabia sounds brill & running so much better.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...