tarox strada pads?

ben10

just wondered if anybody is running these pads or have done in the past? thinking of using these on some oem discs, and just wondered wether they offer any noticeable improvement in braking? if not i'll go for some oem pagid pads at around half the price! cheers

Guest westallc
stick with the oem ones they work well for road use. only spend out on special pads if your going to race the car on a track.

dont agree oem pads are rubbish for fast road driving and would be one of the first upgrades i would make:thumbup:

Properly heat cycled OEM pads and discs on the vRS can be fine for fast road driving if you get a little heat into them before caning them. But I would agree that they do wilt quite quickly if you are repeatedly braking full force from high speed to low speed and not giving them a chance to recover between apps. Nothing wrong with the stock discs, and I certainly wouldn't bother wasting money on grooved discs which just chew through pads like nobodies business. Drilled are a definite no-no unless from a good manufacturer such as Brembo and even then for hard road use you'll likely find that they crack round the drill holes. Go for plain OEM spec discs from VW or Brembo and use some uprated fast road pads such as the Ferodo DS2500 which are pricey but well worth it although they can squeel on some cars until you get some temperature into them. I've found that fitting some heavy duty double sided tape to the back of them works wonders. Alternatives include EBC but I struggle to rate them. Opinions on them seem a little hit or miss but over time I reckon it's down to the way they're bedded in and can take a fair bit of work to get them heat cycled to get the best out of them otherwise they score and chew discs, wear rediculously fast and don't provide much increased brake performance. Pads won't necessarily change the braking power massively but they do have an effect that is noticeable under heavy use and they can provide more bite. But the biggest advantage to good uprated pads (as opposed to cheap 'sports' pads) are that they can cope with heavy braking for significantly longer than OEM stuff. On my old ST200 I had a pair of DS2500's smoking heavily yet they still gave virtually unchanged performance. DS3000's are better still once temp'd up but are noticeably poorer when cool (ie motorway emergency stops!).

My son had issues with his MK4 Golf , same 288mm discs and pads as some Octavia`s

I got him the ZeroSixty discs with Tarox Strada pads

Then the braking was totally transformed

He did not really notice the braking slipping away , it was only when I jumped in to the car to move it , when I used the brakes , they just was not there

With the upgrade that he did , it gave better braking

The ZeroSixty discs are DIMPLED and grooved , so no cracking with the dimples and better cooling (which he needed after he realised that brakes was working now)

He did rate them alot

But then , on my Fabia , I have OEM ones , and to be fair , they are great

So alot of the times , it is an individual choice

I think at times , it may be worth going for better discs and pads rather than pay more for larger discs

But again , individual choice and taste

I do think Tarox pads are superb , and compared with some OEM prices , they are not THAT much more , and when it comes to brakes.....you do need good brakes ;)

My opinion

Sarah

I had the Tarox G88 discs and Tarox pads all round on my old modded Octy Vrs, which was certainly not slow.

These together with Silkolene ProRace 2000 brake fluid were superb, totally reliable with no fade at all, however hard you used them, and really gave you confidence in all conditions.

Another option is the Ferodo DS2500 which are good, but dearer than the Tarox.

If you do go with the Tarox, you will be pleased.

thanks for all the feedback, i will defo go for the strada pads with oem discs (the budget won't stretch to uprated discs as well)

i'm not after a massive transformation in braking performance, just something better than standard!

when parts need replacing, i like to replace them with something better than standard, its just there is so much choice available its always a bit hit and miss, so its good to get some feedback. so thank you once again:thumbup:

I really can't see them being any advantage on road at all over OEM pads. You need heat for them to work right. OEM would be perfect.

I have Tarox Japan discs with Forodo DS pads and they are fantastic on track and well able for big heat but when cold Its bloody dangerous!