Blowing/Farting noise when started from cold???

Hi thereNot had the car that long but my VRS has always made like a blowing farting noise when started from cold, and then it knocks off with like a "peaw or Psssssssaw" noise after a minute or 2, is this normal???? I always thought it was the turbo warming up or something?But its started not doin it on the odd occasion and now its not done it at all for the last few days and not done it again this morning?Any ideas pleaseThanks

Hi thereNot had the car that long but my VRS has always made like a blowing farting noise when started from cold, and then it knocks off with like a "peaw or Psssssssaw" noise after a minute or 2, is this normal???? I always thought it was the turbo warming up or something?But its started not doin it on the odd occasion and now its not done it at all for the last few days and not done it again this morning?Any ideas pleaseThanks

It is the secondary air pump. This pumps air into the exhaust which when combined with some timing adjustments which cause the car to run rich causes a secondary combustion which helps to warm the cat up quicker and reduce emmissions.

The pump is held on with rivets which get loose over time and cause an air leak which makes the noise worse. They all do it and it isn't really a problem.

My one doesn't run the secondary pump when it is really cold, not sure if there is a set cut off temperature though? It also isn't unusual for the pump to run at any point before the car is fully up to temperature (normally noticable when stopped in traffic for example) Hope that helps :)

My one doesn't run the secondary pump when it is really cold, not sure if there is a set cut off temperature though? It also isn't unusual for the pump to run at any point before the car is fully up to temperature (normally noticable when stopped in traffic for example) Hope that helps :)

I would love to get an answer on that actually to help me with my issue here!! http://briskoda.development.scalr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1895955#post1895955 Anywhere to find out?

It is the secondary air pump. This pumps air into the exhaust which when combined with some timing adjustments which cause the car to run rich causes a secondary combustion which helps to warm the cat up quicker and reduce emmissions.

The pump is held on with rivets which get loose over time and cause an air leak which makes the noise worse. They all do it and it isn't really a problem.

Hi again m8Its been pretty mild last couple of days, temp reading about 5, and its still not workin the secondary air pump on start up ?It didn,t do this last winter or I would have remembered?