Shark Performance Sts Stage 2 Review

RobClubley

Review - Shark STS Stage 2

A bit of history first.

I've had my 2004 Octavia vRS Estate from new.

As many of you know I bought it in Leeds and after about 18 months, emigrated with the car to New Zealand.

In 2005 with about 10,000 miles on the clock I had Custom Code Phase 1 software installed.

Since then I've installed the following engine mods:

APR TIP (turbo intake pipe)

Carbonio CAI (cold air intake)

Bailey DV30 diverter valve

Forge cold-side DV relocation kit

Oil Catch Can

Secondary Air Injection System removed and blanked off

4165152283_923753bcfe.jpg

Now the car has 85,000km on the clock (about 53,000 miles)

There are no emissions regulations here in the clean green land of New Zealand, so the next modification was a decat downpipe.

I bought a 2.5" decat from a US Ebay seller and got it fitted by a local custom exhaust centre. I'm glad I took it there rather than trying to fit it myself as the turbo bolts were so rusted he had to drill two of them out and re-tap the holes!!

4135276190_0897163a5b.jpg

I knew I would get a CEL once the decat was fitted, as well as the one I had already from removing the SAI System. The resistors installed in its place didn't do the job as expected.

So before I get to the STS, what difference did the decat make?

In normal driving there wasn't really any difference. No extra noise at 50kph on normal roads, and no perceptible difference in the car on the motorway at 100kph.

When booting it the exhaust note was definitely a bit deeper, and the butt dyno says it definitely added a few horses.

But the CEL needed sorting out. The light was irritating, and it being on constantly could mask more serious errors. Plus even SWMBO had noticed it! (she doesn't drive)

So to the STS

I'd been thinking about changing maps for a while for various reasons.

I'd been researching different remaps available in NZ for a few months on and off and had just about settled on a switchable REVO stage 2 map from a REVO dealer up in Tauranga - about 600km drive from my home.

Option 1 was MTM who have just started in NZ so were doing maps for a reduced cost of $750 but it was purely a state 1 generic map. I asked about stage 2 maps and the guy was not that convincing and I didn't like the way he spent more time telling me how bad REVO was than how good his MTM map was.

Option 2 was a REVO stage 2 map with their switching gizmo for $1500 plus a 2 day trip there and back, or posting of the ECU for bench flashing.

As you have probably worked out there aren't that many tuners here for European cars, so the prices are a fair bit higher than the UK, and parts are harder to come by locally. The local scene is either Japanese cars, or big V6 and V8 Fords and Holdens.

So the plan was to get the decat and exhaust done, source a 4 BAR FPR and save up to get this done mid next year.

Then along came Shark Performance with the STS and their introductory offer.

This seemed like the ideal solution for the geographically challenged such as myself, and Ben at Shark Performance is definitely building a good reputation here on Briskoda.

After a few discussions by IM, I ascertained that Ben could supply a stage 2 map which didn't require a 4 BAR FPR, remove the CEL for the SAI and decat, and it could all be delivered to my door for a little more than the MTM special offer. Result.

So a quick Paypal transaction later and my bank account was empty. And a week later I had the STS device in my grubby little paws.

The process is straightforward. Plug the STS into the OBDII port under the steering wheel and allow it to download the current ECU map.

It can also be used to read and clear any fault codes, which I did.

Next, download and install the software from the Shark Performance website.

I had some issues at this point, presumably because I'm using that new-fangled Windows 7. The hardware detection process failed and I had to search the internets for a generic USB to Serial adapter driver, then force the detected unknown device to have that driver.

Once that was done, the STS device lit up with a nice picture of a car and the software was talking to it.

I read the map from the device, saved it to a file and emailed my car's 1Mb brain to Ben for him to work his magic.

There was an exchange of emails to confirm the custom tweaks I wanted, then next morning waiting in my inbox were two new ECU files. One for the Stage 2 teaked map, and a standard map which I requested in place of the immobiliser map as I think it will be more useful for me for troubleshooting, or for if SWMBO ever learns to drive and wants to borrow my baby. The STS can hold three maps, one of which is your original one before it's connected and paired to the car.

So now it was time to upload the new map. I found the process a bit scary as it takes about 10-15 minutes to upload the map. If like me you've ever had a firmware update go wrong and turn a piece of computer equipment into an expensive paperweight you'll understand!!

4141290661_1322a64ce4.jpg

Anyway all went well, map was uploaded successfully sdo it's off for a very short test drive. It was my lunch hour from work so no long drives for me. I started the engine and I swear it was a little "meatier" sounding, a bit more grumbly.

So off for a drive round the local streets, not very quick, just making sure it was okay then back to the garage.

The plan was to take the back road home from work the next night and give it a pasting. Well for the next 4 days it absolutely bucketed down, and to top it off I got a cold and wasn't feeling like doing much driving.

But eventually the sun came out, the roads dried, the fallen rocks caused by the rain were swept up off the back roads, and SWMBO was going out to a barbecue. So time for A Proper Drive.

Test Route

So I trundled out, through all the 50 limit zones out to the back road. The car I was following turned off, I was just about to floor it when I nearly got taken out by a 15 year-old driving a Ford Laser which looked to be on the verge of finding the rock face on my side of the road!!

Once I was over that it was time for some fun - though the road was more a test of bravery than car speed - mostly one or one and a half lanes wide with utes coming the other way and hairpin bends!! The road has a 60kph speed limit and not many straight bits, so lots of braking :)

So it was out to Makara Beach for a few minutes to check out the scenery and wildlife...

4165151981_0766909389.jpg4165151907_e2d70ba9eb.jpg

4165909902_0aefce73b9.jpg4165151771_2e91c6dd02.jpg

...then continue on the back road, which was wider and hillier the other way and gave me a chance to use third gear once or twice.

Another photo stop...

4165910062_53fd0b4f5b.jpg4165152429_a06dcd4be6.jpg

...then it was through some more 50 zones, a cruise along the motorway and up around the Hayward Hills, which gave me a chance to test out third gear acceleration up the big hill.

Then around Pauatahanui Inlet - another road with an 80kph limit with a rock face on one side and a 3m drop to the sea at the other, and no barriers. Fun!

Then back on the State Highway for a leisurely cruise home.

Shall I stop telling stories and get to the point?

What do I think of the map?

Well the first time I got on a straight bit of road in first, changed up to second and floored it, my face was immediately plastered with a large grin, and I uttered the words "Holy f__k this is fast!"

It's just awesome! The car growls in a way it never did before. The kick in the back when you floor it is harder, and it just keeps pulling. The wheels scrabble for grip in the dry changing up to second and third if you're not careful. I can't say further than that as I have to stop accelerating way before I can try out fourth on NZ public roads. The reason I wanted more power is not about all-out speed, with NZ's national speed limit of 100kph.

There doesn't seem to be any compromise either. The car can be driven as sedately as you want. I can cruise around at 50kph all day ferrying SWMBO around, smooth as you like.

Another thing I've noticed, which I'm sure is the new map not the decat, is it's less prone to stalling if you let the revs get to low in queuing traffic. I did that and without realising was expecting it to "kangaroo" a bit before I caught it, but it didn't do it.

It also seems smoother in general driving, which could be the improved breathing in addition to the map.

I'm surprised the car can feel this much quicker over the stage one map.

Next month I intend to get it on a dyno, so pretty graphs will be provided.

On my test route in which I did 104km, not the 84 Google Maps reckons I averaged 27mpg, and I wasn't hanging about on any of the twisty bits!

So in short, I am very impressed with the map, with Ben's service and with the STS in general. It's definitely the right solution for me. Plus now I have the ability to ask Ben for tweaks to the map if needed to get the best out of future mods.

Nice write up Rob , it would seem that Ben has yet another satisfied customer . I had the same thoughts when i went out in my car after loading the map .I am looking at your'e photos and thinking ,you lucky sod , looks real nice there.

Nice write up Rob , it would seem that Ben has yet another satisfied customer . I had the same thoughts when i went out in my car after loading the map .I am looking at your'e photos and thinking ,you lucky sod , looks real nice there.

I love that new feeling. its brilliant. My mate drove my car this evening on the way back from work. it was hilarious he was driving all slow, then on the duel carriageway i said drop to 3rd(from about 35-40) and boot it up to the top roundabout. He stuck his foot down and immediatelty shouted oh ****, and stopped accelerating. (hes used to a v reg diesel renault espace), proper crapped himself. I was laughing my **** off.

Brilliant Rob! Trust you to throw some scenery and wildlife shots into a remap review! :rofl:

Glad you're happy though mate, sounds like a great transformation.

Steve

Awsome write up and great pics. So is it possible to get a stage 2 map on the STS system?

I'm wanting to remap my standard vRS but there are no tuning companies near by :(

Yes you sure can with the appropriate mods ,i'm sure Ben will be along soon to advise you more ,and you can take advantage of the group buy.

Edited by fikes75

Yes you sure can with the appropriate mods ,i'm sure Ben will be along soon to advise you more ,and you can take advantage of the group buy.

if your vRS is standard then you need a stage 1 remap. if you install an exhaust system then you will need a stage 2 map. as fair as im aware all can go on the STS. think theres a discount till xmas in the group buy section. whatvRS have you got.fabia, or octavia mk1 or 2. petrol or diesel etc

• Like 1

Awsome write up and great pics. So is it possible to get a stage 2 map on the STS system?

I'm wanting to remap my standard vRS but there are no tuning companies near by :(

Yes, stage 1 and 2 along with other bolt-on mods such as de-cat/sports cat, DPF removal pipes, OE turbo and injector upgrades (i.e. K03 to K04 etc) can all be catered for remotely with the STS.

Where are you located?

• Like 1

Yes, stage 1 and 2 along with other bolt-on mods such as de-cat/sports cat, DPF removal pipes, OE turbo and injector upgrades (i.e. K03 to K04 etc) can all be catered for remotely with the STS.

Where are you located?

My car is an 05 Octavia mk1 vRS and has a Piper turbo back exhaust and CAI on it now. I'm also going to be getting a forge 007 valve for xmas. I live near Hexham which is about 25 miles from Newcastle.

My car is an 05 Octavia mk1 vRS and has a Piper turbo back exhaust and CAI on it now. I'm also going to be getting a forge 007 valve for xmas. I live near Hexham which is about 25 miles from Newcastle.

In that case, you sound like you need some Stage 2 in your life :)

• Like 1

In that case, you sound like you need some Stage 2 in your life :)

lol i like the sound of that, Whats the best way to order one. I might need to wait until the 15th for pay day first. How much BHP and Torque do you get with the stage 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update:

After driving the car on holiday for 1500km or so I've had a better chance to get used to the new map and guess what? It's rather excellent!

The car is drivable smoothly so as not to upset SWMBO, but it's also an overtaking machine!

It pulls strongly up NZ's steepest hills in whatever gear you happen to be in.

And I had a chance to test on a *cough* private road and it accelerates hard all the way in the first three gears. My private road wasn't big or straight enough for any more speed!!

I am very happy with the car now! :)

I even drove the car fully loaded up a 1600m climb to the Whakapapa ski village - it's summer so there's no snow of course! But it is an active volcano :D

Anyway it was still pulling hard at the top when I ran out of road to play on!

• 1 month later...

We have a dyno plot!

They still had last year's run on file so we could do some comparisons.

Outside temperature was 29 degrees C compared to 28 degrees last year, so air temps are consistent.

Shame it wasn't like today - 12 degrees and damp :)

So we have:

Standard map (supplied on my STS) - 165bhp at the wheels, 174lbft of torque

(10psi max boost)

Custom Code Stage 1 - 180bhp at the wheels, 207lbft of torque

(22psi max boost)

Shark Performance Stage 2 - 207bhp at the wheels, 256lbft of torque

(22psi max boost)

The second run was lower each time - so I need that FMIC in this weather :)

4316380257_287e86c486_b.jpg

What ratio should I use to estimate flywheel bhp?

Guest westallc

there is a flat spot at 3k !!! clean the throttle bodyvery peaky torque curve but looks good whats the afr like ????

does that mean its down on power aswell??

you can deffo see the heat soak coming in lol

get a front mount the curve will holf better with a decent fm

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update after a couple of thousand km.

Since installing the STS map I've made the following changes:

N249 system removed: Clicky

New front O2 sensor which it turned out I didn't need - see next item.

Front and rear O2 sensors swapped around because the design of my decat downpipe meant the front sensor was too far out of the flow and causing a CEL to be logged. Pics of the DP here

Throttle body cleaned and reset Clicky

4 BAR FPR installed. Not sure that this has made any difference really! Clicky

Sleeves removed from front ARB and 19mm SuperPro bushes re-fitted. Thecreaking seems to be cured (I hope!)

The car is feeling really good. Smooth to drive, nice and fast, smooth acceleration. I'm really happy with it.

I have a FMIC on order which should arrive very soon, so hopefully that will improve things further!

Ben, do you think the map will need tweaks for the FMIC and FPR?

Would like to get it dyno-d again after the FMIC is fitted.

The only other mods I have planned in the short term are suction spray pump removal to tidy things up, tidy of the evap system and those hard lines on the side of the engine block, and fitting the NewSouth power gasket that's sitting on my workbench at the moment!