Bluetooth/MDI questions

prodata

I know that both of these questions have been raised previously, but I still haven't seen a definitive answer.

1. Bluetooth phone: We had a (final) test drive in a 140 Elegance today, fitted with a Columbus unit. My wife was trying to synch her phone to it but failed. The phone is a Nokia 6303 (which is a pretty standard, recent business phone) which syncs fine to her own Honda CRV built-in system. As far as we could see, everything was done correctly (ie as per handbook) to synch the phone and the menus all seemed to get to the point of initiating the synch, but it just didn't happen.

Now the Elegance spec includes the item 'Telephone pre-installation GSM II with Bluetooth'. The guys in the showroom were saying that that's not in itself sufficient and that you still need a separate Bluetooth transceiver. But I can't see any such animal on the options list. Anyone know what they might be talking about?

Another possibility is that the 6303 isn't compatible. It's certainly not on the list of compatible phones in the Yeti brochure. But the 6300 is and the 6303 is meant to be just a limited update to the 6300. The printed compatibility list refers me to the Skoda website for an updated list but the .co.uk site doesn't seem to have any such list. Is it there somewhere? I can understand old phones not working but it's all rather odd if a minor update to a phone model completely breaks compatibility. How will I have a hope of knowin whether a phone I might get next year is going to work or not? Presumably there must be some logic (ie some item in the phone specification) to which compatibility relates?

So, any thoughts? Did we just get the sync process wrong or do we need some additional option or are a lot of new phones just not compatible?

2. If I get a Yeti then I'd want to be able to use an iPod with charging and track control etc (via Columbus). When I asked before here I was told that an MDI was needed. But there's still no such item on the Yeti options list. Is it actually there on the dealer's specification screens but hasn't yet made it into the brochure?

Oh, and one final small question:

3. Has anyone worked out whether it's possible to get the speed readout in the Yeti info panel in miles per hour? Or is it definitely irreversibly locked to kph?

Edited by prodata

If you've got maxidot then you should be able to configure the display how you like it, consumption, etc including UNITS!

Why you'd want to remove it I don't know, IF the DVLA have sent my V5, I'll be using the km/h readout in France, but I have to ask the question: Why not put Km/h on the speedo?

At the time of my 'Elegance' TDI 140 order, the 27th November 2009, MDI was not available - The screen indicated both chrome 'sports' pedal and electronic adjustable seating as options, but when these option were selected, the new ordering system indicated a 'failed' to process. The decision to restrict the options list by SUK, is a little short sited, so I share in your frustration in this matter.

On another point, I managed to sync an iPhone 3G to Yeti's Bluetooth GSM system with no problem. Good luck in your research!

On the nokia phone you must enable the RSAP (remote sim access) protocol, its off by default. Without this turned on the phone will not work with the yeti bluetooth system.

Regarding number 3, and the display in kmh. This is fixed and is not adjustable to MPH, the reason being its an EU requirement that cars sold in the UK have MPH and KMH displayed permanently, its been this way for years. Skoda have chosen to keep the main speedo clear of unnecessary clutter and moved the display off the speedo. A KMH display is essential for people like me who travel extensivly throughout europe using my own car.

The downloaded user manual states that button "3" (bottom left of rev-counter) can be used for activating / deactivating the second speed in mph or km/h.

In the display setup, there should be an option named "Alternative speed displayed (Second speed)". The manual says that "Here you can switch on the display of the second speed in mph or in km/h", with a subnote "Valid for countries where the values are indicated in British measuring units"

Might be worth a try.

Edited by tarbat

My CR170 Elegance with Columbus picked up my Sony Ericsson W850i (which is listed in the Yeti brochure) no problems with full access to the address book etc. Interesting that an iPhone worked in a Yeti - due for an upgrade in a few months.

On the nokia phone you must enable the RSAP (remote sim access) protocol, its off by default. Without this turned on the phone will not work with the yeti bluetooth system.

I don't have the phone in question to hand this morning to check, but that sounds completely logical. Is the implication that any phone that supports RSAP (perhaps at some specified revision level?) ought to work with the Yeti system?

Regarding number 3, and the display in kmh. This is fixed and is not adjustable to MPH, the reason being its an EU requirement that cars sold in the UK have MPH and KMH displayed permanently, its been this way for years. Skoda have chosen to keep the main speedo clear of unnecessary clutter and moved the display off the speedo. A KMH display is essential for people like me who travel extensivly throughout europe using my own car.

Again that sounds logical and I can certainly see the value of it for those that do any continental driving. But it perhaps wouldn't have taken much more design/thought to have included an extra optional readout that could display in MPH in addition to a mandatory KPH readout.

So do I take that the 'button 3' suggestion from Tarbat doesn't actually work in practice (in the UK at least - maybe in Europe it will switch the KPH to MPH)?

I can only imagine MDI not being available on the Yeti is an oversight by Skoda UK. You can get it on the Octavia over here, so why not the Yeti?

It's certainly something I'd want and be willing to pay a bit extra for.

Edited by OctaviaT81

I had a play with the set up this evening and it would appear that the speed display change is not an option in the UK. The menu is not as complete in the manual. I think it's going to take weeks to work out how much the Yeti can do - especially the Columbus. I'm used to playing with GPS in aircraft but this thing is so clever, hours of entertainment!

• Like 1

I can only imagine MDI not being available on the Yeti is an oversight by Skoda UK. You can get it on the Octavia over here, so why not the Yeti?

It's certainly something I'd want and be willing to pay a bit extra for.

I've got MDI from the factory in mine, so it must be something SUK has decided :thumbdown:

I tried a friend's iPhone 3GS today in my Yeti (walking, talking, listening Columbus) and it paired up with no problems including accessing the phone book, call details etc etc.

Thanks, that's useful and interesting info. So, on the assumption that the iPhone doesn't support RSAP (I'm absolutely no expert but I thought that I'd gleaned that iPhones are intrinsically incapable of supporting RSAP) then presumably there's some other pairing process at work. Is it that there are two pairing protocols, RSAP and something else, with iPhone doing the latter and Nokia phones opting for the former. Not that it matters - if the iPhone works then that's fine, but just curiosity on my part.

And is your 'walking, talking, listening Columbus' what I would understand to be a regular Columbus or is it enhanced in some way? Don't think I'd picked up that Columbus might support voice recognition - AFAICS any detailed description doesn't figure in the curiously skimpy Skoda/Yeti brochure.

Thanks, that's useful and interesting info. So, on the assumption that the iPhone doesn't support RSAP (I'm absolutely no expert but I thought that I'd gleaned that iPhones are intrinsically incapable of supporting RSAP) then presumably there's some other pairing process at work. Is it that there are two pairing protocols, RSAP and something else, with iPhone doing the latter and Nokia phones opting for the former. Not that it matters - if the iPhone works then that's fine, but just curiosity on my part.

And is your 'walking, talking, listening Columbus' what I would understand to be a regular Columbus or is it enhanced in some way? Don't think I'd picked up that Columbus might support voice recognition - AFAICS any detailed description doesn't figure in the curiously skimpy Skoda/Yeti brochure.

When I picked the Yeti up, James (of Allams) said it was the first Columbus he had seen with the ability to talk to it to get it to do things (he'll correct me if I'm wrong, I was in a state of shock at having seen MY Yeti for the first time!). I haven't had time to suss it all out yet (like many other things on the car - there's lots to learn about what it can do!) but you can bark instructions at it after pressing a 'microphone' button on the unit or the left hand scroll button on the steering wheel. Tonight I shouted 'play' at it and it set the CD playing, changes radio stations too. Amuses me that if you mumble something it doesn't recognise you get a 'pardon?'!

Good to know that the latest iPhone 3GS paired successfully with the latest spec. Columbus. Just a little jealous. Enjoy your new toy.

Jonathan

No need to be jealous - get you own Yeti! :yes:

Edited by aerofurb

No need to be jealous - get you own Yeti! :yes:

Oh OK.... :giggle:

Guess your right...... I believe an Elegance TDI 140 in Steel Grey, with Tow Bar Prep, Parking Sensors Front & Rear, 12 Speaker Sound System, Panoramic Roof, Rough-Road Package is heading my way. Hmm, might be she turns up around February time. :D

Keep us posted on your Columbus experience, been thinking whether to adjust the order.

Jonathan

Oh OK.... :giggle:

Guess your right...... I believe an Elegance TDI 140 in Steel Grey, with Tow Bar Prep, Parking Sensors Front & Rear, 12 Speaker Sound System, Panoramic Roof, Rough-Road Package is heading my way. Hmm, might be she turns up around February time. :D

Keep us posted on your Columbus experience, been thinking whether to adjust the order.

Jonathan

So far, I've mostly been playing going to and fro work but the Columbus certainly beats the hell out of a TomTom with wires all over the place so far. The rest of it is very good too: phone works well, traffic info is very comprehensive (love seeing the 'queue' symbols displayed on the M40 as I drive underneath!), map is very clear. Good sounf from the radio and CD ('media') player. All in all I highly useable package though I admit it isn't cheap, it does everything (and probably more) than I need out of it. I haven't got to the downloading music bit yet.

As for accessing music from an iPhone - don't know!