Re-map not feeling like it used to? Read on...

Ever wondered why performance seems to 'go off' and not be as sparky as it once was? Background to this story is that my car's had cause to pay two warrranty visits to the dealers (replace exhaust temp sersor and fit new turbo). After this, the car (previously re-mapped by Angel Tuning) seemed distinctly 'off' (hesitant at low revs, not pulling as strongly as before etc). I contacted Angel to see if perhaps the re-map might have been disturbed by the dealer, but Nigel of Angel responded that they have had a lot of cases where the 'edge' has come off cars upon return from dealers, even after just a service.

He recommended the following:

1. Park the car up and turn off the engine.

2. Disconnect the (black) negative battery lead for two hours.

3. Reconnect the lead and re-start the engine.

4. Do not rev the engine, but allow it to idle for 10 minutes.

5. Switch off.

6. Re-start and drive as normal.

This process re-calibrates the throttle potentiometer and sensors. And it works! My engine now pulls cleanly from rest and at low revs and the mid-range torque is right back where it used to be.

Worth a try...and it costs nothing!

• Like 1

This is worth putting in the hints & tips thread.

I had my cr170 remapped by ptorque about 6 months ago and was really pleased with it. However, after my 1st service three weeks ago the car doesn't feel the same... I spoke to the garage and asked whether they had flashed the ecu or done anything else but they said they hadn't. I'm planning to take it back to Will at ptorque in the new year but might try your solution first - I'm assuming it should apply to diesels?...

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that I was rather dubious that this would work but I tried it this afernoon and my VRS is back to it's best! Mid range torque is again superb and it pulls beautifully in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Great find by the original poster and well worth trying.

Only thing that seems to have changed as a result is the 'chime' that would normall sound under 4 degrees has disappeared....

Only thing that seems to have changed as a result is the 'chime' that would normall sound under 4 degrees has disappeared....

Wow what a result :thumbup: I hate that chime!

Edited by vRSMart

:dull: Do you then need the radio code after disconnecting the battery ?

No. Radio worked without me needing to put a code in or anything. The power steering, and traction control warning lights came on but they reset themselves when I switched the ignition off and on again. Job done!

thought i would try this today as for the first time in a couple of weeks the roads are dry and no frost

cue 20mins of numb fingers trying to get the negative terminal off the battery (i am a hopeless mechanic)

will follow the rest of the guide ~11am and hope it refreshes my driving experience and i felt recently the car has not been pulling as hard esp in 3rd as it used to.

//well - did as the guide explained - car feels as though it is pulling better again in 2nd and 3rd - only had a chance for a 5min drive afterwards - may just be placebo effect - time will tell :)

Edited by encephalopathy

just a little extra on this - car does feel quicker after doing this, 4 degree chime has gone :) but so has the one touch open/close of the windows.... :(

My one touch window open/close also stopped working, but started again after about 30 mins... The 4 degree chime hasn't returned tho... Most importantly the car is going like stink again :)

To re-enable one touch do the following for each window

Open a little then Close and hold switch in close position for approx 5 secs

Your window will now have one touch open/close again

Repeat for each window

Simples :)

Carl :thumbup:

Edited by vRSCarl

Ever wondered why performance seems to 'go off' and not be as sparky as it once was? Background to this story is that my car's had cause to pay two warrranty visits to the dealers (replace exhaust temp sersor and fit new turbo). After this, the car (previously re-mapped by Angel Tuning) seemed distinctly 'off' (hesitant at low revs, not pulling as strongly as before etc). I contacted Angel to see if perhaps the re-map might have been disturbed by the dealer, but Nigel of Angel responded that they have had a lot of cases where the 'edge' has come off cars upon return from dealers, even after just a service.

He recommended the following:

1. Park the car up and turn off the engine.

2. Disconnect the (black) negative battery lead for two hours.

3. Reconnect the lead and re-start the engine.

4. Do not rev the engine, but allow it to idle for 10 minutes.

5. Switch off.

6. Re-start and drive as normal.

This process re-calibrates the throttle potentiometer and sensors. And it works! My engine now pulls cleanly from rest and at low revs and the mid-range torque is right back where it used to be.

Worth a try...and it costs nothing!

Just sounds like re-adapting settings to me.... :thumbup:

Just sounds like re-adapting settings to me.... :thumbup:

I understood that the throttle body could be reset by simply turning the ignition on (don't turn over the engine) and leaving for 20 minutes (I think it was...may have been a little less) with all the dash lights illuminated. A tuner chum of mine did this and confirmed with a VAG-COM that it had been reset. Don't know why he didn't do it with the vagcom directly other than we were working on something else at the time.

Can anyone with a VAG-COM confirm this method for those without ready access to this?

• 2 weeks later...

I understood that the throttle body could be reset by simply turning the ignition on (don't turn over the engine) and leaving for 20 minutes (I think it was...may have been a little less) with all the dash lights illuminated. A tuner chum of mine did this and confirmed with a VAG-COM that it had been reset. Don't know why he didn't do it with the vagcom directly other than we were working on something else at the time.

Can anyone with a VAG-COM confirm this method for those without ready access to this?

Anyone?