Cold running issues..

TURBO4NI

When starting from cold my Octavia RS tends to hunt on idle until warmed. This cause kangaroo petrol when driving off and has only really started in the cold weather we are having. I have resorted to letting the car tick over for a good period when starting off.

I thought it may be because of the CAI drawing in too much cold air and was going to replace it with the standard airbox and a panel filter but have been spaeking to a mate who has a Mk4 GTI Anniversary that is factory spec and he says his is exactly the same when cold. The car is regularly ran on BP Ultimate.

Anyone else ever experience this?

do you get a lot of noise like exhaust blowing? if so it will be the secondary air pump, the rivets fail and it causes problems on cold start. its an easy fix if you have 30 mins and a smallish drill. do a search for "secondary air pump" HTH

When starting from cold my Octavia RS tends to hunt on idle until warmed. This cause kangaroo petrol when driving off and has only really started in the cold weather we are having. I have resorted to letting the car tick over for a good period when starting off.

Well, I use to have the same problem in my wife 2002 Octavia Combi Elegance 1.6i every morning when the engine was cold.

In my case, the plastic tube that goes from the air filter box to the throttle body has a crack.

This crack was located exactly on a smaller plastic tube that goes conected between the engine and the EGR valve. The EGR was going conected to the tube that goes from the air box to the throttle body.

What was happening "in my case" is that this crack was allowing air entering direcctly to the throttle body and the MAF was imposible to see this and thats why the RPM was fluctuating and engines was like shudering / vibrations.

The Skoda Dealer replace that plastic tube and everything goes to normal.

Another thing that you can also check is if your throttle body is dirty. This make the erratic fluctuation of the RPM to go up and down.

Good luck,

Isaac

I thought it may be because of the CAI drawing in too much cold air and was going to replace it with the standard airbox and a panel filter but have been spaeking to a mate who has a Mk4 GTI Anniversary that is factory spec and he says his is exactly the same when cold. The car is regularly ran on BP Ultimate.

Anyone else ever experience this?

I would more or less guarantee it is your temp sensor gone.(especially if car runs fine after warm) When that fails the car thinks it is warm and therefore does not trigger extra fuel on cold start which is the cause of ruff idle until the engine warms up slightly. Common problem on the 1.8 turbo engine and other engine types..

To be sure get a VAGCOM ECU health check. You can use the local folks on here near to you if you need VAVGOM check. Look in the tech section

Edited by Bowders1