vRS won't start

Timewarp

Hi

Has anyone had any problems with their cars starting in the cold weather. Mine wouldn't have it at all this morning so have had to catch the train to work.

Will get Skoda Assist tomorrow morning if there's still no luck. Wonder what it can be. I checked oil & coolant last week and everything was fine. Not had any problems before, but I did used to have a garage until I moved house so its never been exposed to the elements like this before.

Cheers!

oil and coolant has no relevance to a car starting.....you aint said if its turning over normally....almost certainly battery problem.

Ta. I know that actually, not sure why I mentioned it. Guess I meant it was otherwise in great condition!

Hmm.... Seemed to be turning over OK, but it might have been a little weak come to think of it. Not sure to be honest.

So Skoda Assistance will most likely just change the battery?

So Skoda Assistance will most likely just change the battery?

No! They'll start your car!

You'll have to arrange a new battery! But before you rush out to get one ask the assistance bloke if he can give you an idea of the batteries condition, I'd assume he'll have a testing meter in the van!

It may just need a good recharge.

Or it may be fooked, And Halfords would be the last place to buy one!!

No! They'll start your car!

You'll have to arrange a new battery! But before you rush out to get one ask the assistance bloke if he can give you an idea of the batteries condition, I'd assume he'll have a testing meter in the van!

It may just need a good recharge.

Or it may be fooked, And Halfords would be the last place to buy one!!

Lol. Cheers mate.

There's a Halfords round the corner from me. Last place you'd buy one from are you saying?

According to the Halfords website, their cheapest (Halfords brand) battery for my Octavia 1.9 TDI is £93. I went to a local motor factors and bought a Bosch battery with a 3 year guarantee for £53, or could have had a Yuasa, also with 3 year guarantee for £49.

That's why Halfords is probably the last place to look (unless you are really, really desperate).

Hi

Just tried it again now in the milder weather and did the glowplug prime thing I read on here (light up the glow plugs four times before trying to start) and it started, albeit with a longer turnover time before the engine kicked in.

But now the coolant warning light is flashing red (according to manual: coolant level too low/coolant temperature too high) neither of which is true.

Any advice, or should I visit my friendly neighbourhood Skoda dealer?

Hi

Just tried it again now in the milder weather and did the glowplug prime thing I read on here (light up the glow plugs four times before trying to start) and it started, albeit with a longer turnover time before the engine kicked in.

But now the coolant warning light is flashing red (according to manual: coolant level too low/coolant temperature too high) neither of which is true.

Any advice, or should I visit my friendly neighbourhood Skoda dealer?

Coolant light is common in cold weather. Ignore it, or clean the sensor contacts inside the coolant expansion tank. Sounds like you need a new battery as well. A VRS will start 1st turn of the key at -16c if everything is working. I know this, as mine did this morning :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has been sounding like it is cranking slower first thing in the mornings, although it still starts relatively quickly and hasn't failed to start - but enough difference to make me get the battery checked. The battery is apparently charging OK but seems to be still doing it when left for a day or over a very cold night. This afternoon it did it and also sounded pretty rough for the first few seconds and the coolant warning light came on (but not when used again later). Coolant warning level is above the minimum so it is reassuring that it is common error in the cold weather, but I'm not sure what the iffy sounding cranking is about as it can still do it after a decent journey the day before...

I guess if it were glow plugs the starter motor would crank quickly but not start, right?