Vrs Tdi Snow tyres

Got totally stranded before christmas in my Vrs Tdi- live in a village in middle of nowhere and got stuck in snow- had to abandon car and walk home

Being stuck last 2 days as well- car is worst I've ever had in snow- have michelin exalto 2's on 18" zenths

So...finally managed to get to tyre place in town- I ordered a set of Avon Ice touring ST's- however what came in were Cooper Weathermaster Snow, which are winter tyres V rated for deep snow use- virtually identical tyre ( Cooper-Avon are same company )

coopu.jpgw800.png

Cost- £520.

So- first impressions- driving on largely cleared but still icy roads- MUCH more confidence inspiring, loads more grip. Took a short cut home along untreated roads that only 4x4s and tractors use in these conditions- roughly 2 to 3 " of rutted frozen snow- no black road visible, big hills- would never have even attempted this road on the exalto's

Never saw another car but just sailed along up hill and down dale- occasional traction control cutting in but never missed a beat

Verdict- best £500 I've ever spent. If they cost £1000 would still be worth it

And really they don't cost any more at all as will keep them to put on next November, and just rotate with my summer tyres

Car now feels as surefooted as the landrover that gave us a lift home when we were stranded.

Tyre place said that summer tyres dont work well below 8 degrees and not at all sub zero- winters have a soft compound and chunky tread .

So will keep summer tyres for april-october and keep winter tyres november to march.

Should have done it years ago.....

What size are they?

and have you put them them on the 18" Zeniths

If not does the £520 include wheels

I ordered Nokians from Mytyres.co.uk - £450 or so including steel wheels and delivery

What size are they?

and have you put them them on the 18" Zeniths

If not does the £520 include wheels

225/40/18s on the standard zeniths- no £520 is just the tyres :( - didnt see the point in buying another set of wheels- even 16 inch steel wheels would have been a few quid- and 16 inch tyres arent much cheaper than 18s in snowies

Also couldnt face trundling around on 16 inch steelies for 5 months of the year looking like a complete ****.

I'd normally have to bu 2 sets of tyres in a year anyway- and when I put my summer tyres back on they'll only be on for 7 months and I'll put the snowies on again- so no difference really

225/40/18s on the standard zeniths- no £520 is just the tyres :( - didnt see the point in buying another set of wheels- even 16 inch steel wheels would have been a few quid- and 16 inch tyres arent much cheaper than 18s in snowies

Also couldnt face trundling around on 16 inch steelies for 5 months of the year looking like a complete ****.

I'd normally have to bu 2 sets of tyres in a year anyway- and when I put my summer tyres back on they'll only be on for 7 months and I'll put the snowies on again- so no difference really

One thing I forgot to mention is the feeling of confidence- for thepast 3 weeks I've been driving around in the snow with clenched buttocks- so much so that there's pucker marks on the seat!!

Now feel I should be smoking a cigar whilst driving along- so much more relaxing.....

snow tyres arethe way forward. id reccomend a set of steelies though,dont forget you could use wheel trims. i prefered to have them on seperate wheels, as when the roads cleared up and the temps rose for a bit, id swap back, then once the snow came they would be swapped back over.

i used themm for a good few winters and covered alot of distance in them before selling them on before movingback to uk. i reckonIf i swapped to my summers when the weather was good id get about 5 years + use out of them for sub zero weather and snow etc. well worth the outly.

I wasnt impressed with my winter tyres in the rain though, i reckoned my summer tyres coped better. and in the dry they were poo for the vRS

I've got the Avon version of the Coopers and they are ace. I picked up a set of alloys from rochford alloys for £200 so I can swap wheel when I need. I also carry some rope with me which can be tied accross the tyre through the spokes but I have not had to do that yet.......

I've got the Avon version of the Coopers and they are ace. I picked up a set of alloys from rochford alloys for £200 so I can swap wheel when I need. I also carry some rope with me which can be tied accross the tyre through the spokes but I have not had to do that yet.......

Well my Nokians have made it all the way to Edinburgh from mytyres in Germany but DPD can't deliver "because of the snow".

They're going to try again today after which I will have to drive 20 miles to the depot to collect them. Bizarre

:wonder:

Well my Nokians have made it all the way to Edinburgh from mytyres in Germany but DPD can't deliver "because of the snow".

They're going to try again today after which I will have to drive 20 miles to the depot to collect them. Bizarre

:wonder:

Yes but how are you going to get to the depot????? :S

Vredestein Snowtrac 3 - 205/55R16 (91H) purchased from Tyremen.co.uk for £323 including delivery for 4 tyres. Seat Altea 16" steel wheels and trims from e-bay £60. Fitting and balancing £30 by me local garage. Total £413 plus £5 for some stick on Skoda badges to cover the Seat ones.

I have now done about 1K on these in mostly temperatures below 7 degrees and recently some very snowy and icy conditions and can't praise them enough. I even have the confidence to let my wife drive the car is snow and ice, but have to remind her to look in the mirror before she stops in case the car behind can't! The advantage of using steels of this size is that I can also put snow chains on if requied. However, have not needed to due to the impressive performance. Can see why they have won Awards.

ScoutWinter4.jpg

ScoutWinter2.jpg

Some useful points of note:

1) You can use the same wheel nuts for alloys wheels and steel wheels on the Octavia II so no need to purhcase different ones

2) If you want to fit snow chains as well then check the wheels are 6J and not 6.5J

3) The official size of tyre for 16" Octavia wheels is 205/55R16, however this may give you a slightly different rolling radius to your summer tyres and therefore small speedo overead.

4) Some tyre dealers will not fit mail order tyres (ATS do not) so call around first and negoitate a price for fitting, £30 seems to be the going rate.

5) Although the speed rating of H will be lower than your summer tyres, this is acceptable provided you do not exceed the recommended speed (120mph), see your car manual. You can set a warning if you have a maxidot under the winter tyres menu to warn you exceed this (bong!)

5) Canskill, Tyremen, Mytyres and Blackcircles all appear to be good value for money

Edited by KayakJim

I will second your findings on snow tyres.

I spent a couple of weeks in the Czech Republic over Xmas driving a 06 Golf Plus on Dunlop SP Winters. It's law there from November to have winter tyres and most Czech's swap the tyres it seems, rather than replacing the rims / tyres.

I had never driven on snow tyres before and was holding up traffic for a while due to my pedestrian pace.

But after a small period of acclaimisation to the roads, tyres and being on the right side of the road, I was driving around with the sort of confidence I would never dare have thought possible without a 4 x 4 in the UK. Even made it up a snow covered incline of about 40 degrees at one point.

I will definitely consider getting a set on some steels next year nowif I still have the vRS.

We haven't had to much snow in Cambs as yet....

Edited by modra_vrs

Yes but how are you going to get to the depot????? :S

well the roads are clear so I don't imagine it will be a problem. Getting out of my street is a problem but with low revs, 2nd gear and ESP off I've managed in and out most days for the last three weeks :giggle:

ive been and bought these cooper weathermaster tyres today after reading this thread, my first choice would be vredestein wintrac , but my local dealer 3/4 of a mile away doesnt do them, i could have travelled 10 miles but couldnt be arsed,plus they were 30 quid a tyre dearer, they had also sold out of avon ice touring st.

i paid £130 each , just got them on the front, my first impressions are they are very good, on slushy roads grip is very much improved, i went to a shopping car park where i got stuck yesterday parked in the same spot AND JUST DROVE OFF , so i went to the unused corner of carpark 2-3 inches of snow and they just drove me through it, i was amazed. i reversed onto my drive slight incline no wheel spinning.

what they are going to like on dry winter roads and in wet conditions ill have to wait and see, probably a few weeks.

money well spent!

ive been and bought these cooper weathermaster tyres today after reading this thread, my first choice would be vredestein wintrac , but my local dealer 3/4 of a mile away doesnt do them, i could have travelled 10 miles but couldnt be arsed,plus they were 30 quid a tyre dearer, they had also sold out of avon ice touring st.

i paid £130 each , just got them on the front, my first impressions are they are very good, on slushy roads grip is very much improved, i went to a shopping car park where i got stuck yesterday parked in the same spot AND JUST DROVE OFF , so i went to the unused corner of carpark 2-3 inches of snow and they just drove me through it, i was amazed. i reversed onto my drive slight incline no wheel spinning.

what they are going to like on dry winter roads and in wet conditions ill have to wait and see, probably a few weeks.

money well spent!

if you only got them on the front, beware of oversteer- you may find the rear of the car tries to overtake the front as the front will grip and the rear will slide- I'd be tempted to get all 4 done to be honest

I have now done about 1K on these in mostly temperatures below 7 degrees and recently some very snowy and icy conditions and can't praise them enough. I even have the confidence to let my wife drive the car is snow and ice, but have to remind her to look in the mirror before she stops in case the car behind can't! The advantage of using steels of this size is that I can also put snow chains on if requied. However, have not needed to due to the impressive performance. Can see why they have won Awards.

Totally agree with you KayakJim, these tyres are fantastic. I'd recommend them to all

We've had 8-9" of snow and temperatues of -14 degrees around Manchester and these tyres have done me proud.

Top tyres :thumbup:

Jon

You should have tried M&M tyres in Middlesbrough, they are "over the border", near the train and new police station. They are the main supplier of Vredestein tyres in this area.

My dad is now deciding whether to buy Vredestien Quatrac 3 or Nokian WR G2's for his Subaru. There is probably no point now because when he gets them the snow will have gone and if he does he can't fit them as the car is berried under 12 inches of snow. I just wish either company would make something suitable for my Furby.

Now, I bet your business you work for is thriving, how much snow is there at Boulby?

jim i could have gone to boro for vredesteins, but im full of cold and didnt want to go that far at the moment, north eastern has a branch about 1/2 a mile away and i can normally negotiate a good price! i got the coopers as cheap as you would get them anywhere, up to now they are really good.

yes mate we are doing ok at the moment , our salt sales are keeping us going whilst potash sales have been down , salt only sells for £20-30 a tonne , potash sells for £300-400, but considering its a byproduct its ok .

yes i know i should have put 4 winter tyres on my car , but im skint so i only fitted them on the front, im not going to start driving faster now they are on, im still going to cautious , but at least now i can get some decent traction and not get stuck. my route to work consists of 5-6 steep hills so at least i have a chance of getting up them now.

next year ill be better prepared and get 4 winter tyres on in nov and possibly some smaller alloys.

you should not mix tyre types this can be dangerous for you and others and may invalidate your insurance. I believe it refers to this in your owners manual. So take care.

Just came across this on the web and felt it was important enough to bump this thread with the link http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/news/Pages/Tests-confirm-risks-of-mixing-tyres.aspx