Battery Question

I've got a 2007/57 Octy 2.0TDI DSG with a dead battery. Been searching for a replacement and have been told that its a 067/096 fitment which has a 75ah rating measuring 278x175x190.

I've had the car from new and its on the original battery, but it's only a 61ah rated one and is 249mm long not 278mm ??

My question is has the wrong battery been fitted during production ?? Seems that 61ah is not really enough for a 2.0 diesel ??

Cheers.....off out now to attach the charger again...!!

I would whip your current battery out and measure the max size you can fit in the retainers. If you have a small battery holder fitted for some reason then the larger 'correct' battery would not be held securely, therefore very dangerous.

If the bigger battery would fit then I would go for that. Certainly in normal conditions a battery should last at least 4 years so if your car is still under warentee then a trip to the stealers is in order to query the battery fitment - you user manual should give the correct rating for your car. A touch of RTFM then complain is appropriate and get a new battery free

I've got a 2007/57 Octy 2.0TDI DSG with a dead battery. Been searching for a replacement and have been told that its a 067/096 fitment which has a 75ah rating measuring 278x175x190.

I've had the car from new and its on the original battery, but it's only a 61ah rated one and is 249mm long not 278mm ??

My question is has the wrong battery been fitted during production ?? Seems that 61ah is not really enough for a 2.0 diesel ??

Cheers.....off out now to attach the charger again...!!

Hi Allen

Note what Octavia5 , and is correct but I would not worry too much about ah rating, its the "cold cranking Amps" that is more important

with diesels, as the ah is only how long a battery will last with a certain load ie with lights on.

The best advice (as mentioned) is get back to the dealers, but when you do have to replace yourself, get the biggest CCD and the

largest ah that will fit and you can afford.

Radiotwo

Hi Allen,

What Octavia5 is saying is basically correct, always go for the biggest numbers you can, I measured the battery in my 09 plate pre FL Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG L&K, roughly it was 273 x 170 x 188, so corresponds to the measurements you were given the numbers on the top were 1J0 915 105 AE, 12V 70Ah, 340 DIN, 570 EN/SAE. I guess that the last 2 figures are the cold cranking amps using 2 different measuring scales DIN being european and SAE being american.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

I checked the original equipment codes on my Octavia, a 2008/57 1.9 TDI and it shows the code: J0N = Battery 330 A (61 Ah)

So a 61 Ah battery is OEM for a diesel although perhaps for your car engine and gearbox.

You can check your own OE codes in the front of your Service manual. Also printed on the sticker in the boot under the carpet next to the spare wheel. Then look up the meaning for the codes with the handy tool at http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx OEM look up tool

ETKA lists four batteries for the MKII Octavia rated from 44Ah to 72Ah.

Relevant part numbers are:

000 915 105 AD rated at 61AH/330A

00 915 105 AF rated at 72AH/380A

Further Info:

PR Numbers (Equipment codes) for the 61 Ah and 60 Ah batteries are J0N and J1L respectively.

The 70 Ah and 72 Ah batteries are for J0l and J1D.

Don't take this as meaning I know what I am talking about. But it seems you can check the rating of your battery as it should have been when built by looking up the codes. Then you can take the advice to go bigger as you see fit?

Thanks FriendlyFire.

Always wondered what those codes meant in the service book.....great tool that.

It seems that it's got the correct battery (JON)......just a bit surprised that its given up the ghost after 28 months and 28k miles.

Dealer says the battery is only covered for 12 montths....might give SUK a call and ask their opinion.

I checked the original equipment codes on my Octavia, a 2008/57 1.9 TDI and it shows the code: J0N = Battery 330 A (61 Ah)

So a 61 Ah battery is OEM for a diesel although perhaps for your car engine and gearbox.

You can check your own OE codes in the front of your Service manual. Also printed on the sticker in the boot under the carpet next to the spare wheel. Then look up the meaning for the codes with the handy tool at http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx OEM look up tool

ETKA lists four batteries for the MKII Octavia rated from 44Ah to 72Ah.

Relevant part numbers are:

000 915 105 AD rated at 61AH/330A

00 915 105 AF rated at 72AH/380A

Further Info:

PR Numbers (Equipment codes) for the 61 Ah and 60 Ah batteries are J0N and J1L respectively.

The 70 Ah and 72 Ah batteries are for J0l and J1D.

Don't take this as meaning I know what I am talking about. But it seems you can check the rating of your battery as it should have been when built by looking up the codes. Then you can take the advice to go bigger as you see fit?

Edited by Allen

Thanks Ian. Looks like they specced up the battery on post 07 models....the battery box appears big enough to take the bigger one so i think the extra £15 or so will be worth spending. Hoping it'll be Skoda UK doing the spending rather than me though. Can only try i guess !!

Hi Allen,

What Octavia5 is saying is basically correct, always go for the biggest numbers you can, I measured the battery in my 09 plate pre FL Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG L&K, roughly it was 273 x 170 x 188, so corresponds to the measurements you were given the numbers on the top were 1J0 915 105 AE, 12V 70Ah, 340 DIN, 570 EN/SAE. I guess that the last 2 figures are the cold cranking amps using 2 different measuring scales DIN being european and SAE being american.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

My 2009 FL also is 61Ah. Managed to crank over fine in the recent cold weather.

I'd a Golf GTD decades ago that seemed to struggle from new to turn over.Maybe the thinner oils nowadays make a big difference.

• 8 months later...

My 2009 FL also is 61Ah.

I've just taken delivery of a brand new MY2011 2.0 TDi CR Scout, also fitted with the 61Ah battery according to the option code in the front of the service schedule.