Recommend a weekend car - £4k budget

andy2407

Although I'm impressed with my Mazda 6 estate, its far too sensible, so I think I may be in need of a weekend toy.

Katie is selling her silver Fabia vRS and taking over my yellow one, so we will still have a Skoda on the drive.

Main criteria for a weekend car are....

Two seats

Convertible

Yellow

Fun

Max £4k

I don't have a garage - the car will be kept on a drive way - so an optional hard-top is desirable (but not essential).

A Mazda MX-5 seems the obvious choice given my budget but any other suggestions (with links if possible) are welcome.

I'm located in Ramsbottom near Bury, North Manchester so something in the N/W would make sense.

TIA

Andy

I suggested the same in another recent thread along similar lines. What about a good condition 2nd generation mr2? You'd be able to find a newer one for well under budget but i'm not sure they are as quick. But i'm not sure as i've never driven one!

I take it that’s a no to the Westfield idea :D

None less than £7.5k on trader :doh:

And £6k for the cheapest one on PH

I appreciate they are probably a lot more fun than the MX5 so I won't rule them out.

Assuming I could pick one up in budget what are they like for reliability? And how well would they survive winter without being garaged?

None less than £7.5k on trader emoticon-0120-doh.gif

And £6k for the cheapest one on PH

I appreciate they are probably a lot more fun than the MX5 so I won't rule them out.

Assuming I could pick one up in budget what are they like for reliability? And how well would they survive winter without being garaged?

Most of them are made from Ford bits so that shouldn’t be a problem. As for weather protection………………. Well you might want to cover it :D I think you can get a hard top for them. A friend of mine form oop North built a Caterham and it leaked like a sieve in heavy rain, but I read that the Westfiled was slightly better and obviously with a hard top would be as good as these leaky Fabias I keep reading about.

i drove a Megabusa, which was a Westfield with a 185bhp hyabusa engine in it!!!!! It weighed less than half a ton and had the motorbike gearchange, except on a lever. I couldn't find neutral or first for ages on it :D

Beg or borrow the extra cash for a Westfield, they are mental. It requires surgery to remove the grin from your chops. :rofl: A few do come up for 4K every now and then, usually the milder ones that take 5 seconds to go from 0 to 60. Full blown Westie can see 60 in 3 seconds.

Beg or borrow the extra cash for a Westfield, they are mental. It requires surgery to remove the grin from your chops. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif A few do come up for 4K every now and then, usually the milder ones that take 5 seconds to go from 0 to 60. Full blown Westie can see 60 in 3 seconds.

I think the one I drove was supposed to do something like that. If I could have worked out the gearchange a little better and it wasn’t one that was up for sale at the dealers I was working at, perhaps I could have got nearer. It was slightly scary in a good way :D

It was mentally quick, it even had push button gear change on the steering wheel. I think it just chucked the next gear in, in a similar way to the way bikers do it (no DSG tech). it worked well if you were committed and if you drove it like you were meant to , you would be……….

2-door, convertible - everything pretty much is spot on

Bargain

Nice one that - I've done a check and it comes in at under £4k.....

.....per month.......

.....for the next 20 years!

Loan.jpg