Jacking pad for trolley jack

muckipup

Thought I would share this as it worked well. I can't take any credit as it is (1) so simple and (2) a combination of ideas from others on this site:

The jack supplied with the car (well, the Octavia anyway) isn't really much use for anything other than emergency road-side tyre changes.

Standard trolley jacks, with their flat lifting plate, if use at the indicated jacking points will screw-up the sills. There is the option of jacking up from under the solid, curved lower arm fixing at the front but that is where folks (like me) may be intending to put an axle stand after jacking up which then rules it out. Some have cut a channel out of a piece of wood to make a jacking pad that accommodates the sill - I tried this but didn't do a great job of it.

There is a company that sells 'jacking pads' for trolley jacks but they are really just hard rubber ice hockey pucks at an inflated price and don't solve the issue that the jacking point on our cars involves navigating a sill.

I tried to combine the best of both by buying an ice hockey puck and cutting a deep V-groove into it with a saw slightly over half-way across. The ice hockey pucks can be bought from ebay or there are a few online ice hockey shops. The diameter of the groove is just over 15mm and it goes 3/4 deep into the puck. The result is a very sturdy jacking pad which takes the sill and allows the jacking pad of the trolley jack to sink in a tiny bit and inhibits any slipping. Here's a piccy:

post-45005-12637689788154_thumb.jpg

Looks good - I've got one of the ice hockey pucks put haven't tried cutting a grrove in it.

How easy was it to cut? Did you just use a hack saw?

And for anyone looking for a puck supplier I would recommend http://www.ice-hockey-skates.co.uk/product_81-30-161_Ice-Hockey-Puck---Single-Rate.htm

I'd second that - cheapest price and luckily for me - very near!

Yup, that's where I got my pucks too (after it was recommended on the forum several months ago...probably by one of you guys!)

I used a normal wood saw with the blade lubricated with a bit of silicone grease and the puck clamped in a vice. However, as I was doing it I was thinking that a hack saw would be a better idea. The rubber compound was certainly a little tougher than I thought but had enough give to 'clamp' the sill nicely and allow the the trolley jack to bed into it a little bit when lifting.

I am still happier using ramps when not working on the wheels or a suspension component (always had a healthy feat of jack stands when working under the car) but I am much happier with this solution over other metal on metal means of lifting the car.

Edited by muckipup

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I got two of these pucks from Ebay. I used an angle grinder to cut the groove after putting the puck in a workmate to hold it, be warned if you are using an angle grinder wear an apron or bin liner around you waist as you will get covered in fine rubber.

These Pucks do the job, believe me.

• 3 months later...

Top idea! I cut 4 grooves on the underside of mine so there's no risk of it sliding about on the jack saddle.

I was just wondering about that!

Obviously the IH puck's diameter is greater than the trolley jack cup so that'd sort it out and stop it from slipping... :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip - I've ordered one :thumbup:

Now for an embarrassing follow up question! I currently only have the jack supplied with the car (getting a trolley jack soon hopefully) but will want to support on axle stands. Where can I safely place these on a Mk1 Octavia vRS estate?

Thanks for the tip - I've ordered one :thumbup:

Now for an embarrassing follow up question! I currently only have the jack supplied with the car (getting a trolley jack soon hopefully) but will want to support on axle stands. Where can I safely place these on a Mk1 Octavia vRS estate?

These are what i have £ 21 a set and use the Normal Jacking points . Buy from Parts For All cars

http://partsforallcars.com/spares/images/sealey/VS2002.jpg

These are what i have £ 21 a set and use the Normal Jacking points . Buy from Parts For All cars

http://partsforallcars.com/spares/images/sealey/VS2002.jpg

Do they end up resting the weight of the car on the seam edge, or do the two "prongs" lend some support too? Usual recommendation seems to be to cut a piece of wood to the shape of the stand, and cut a nice slot into it to prevent the weight of the car resting on the edge. I have seen some axle stands with a slot in the head, presumably for the seam weld on the sills to fit into and have been tempted to get those instead of messing about with bits of wood.

I'd second that - cheapest price and luckily for me - very near!

Just had a look :o :o :o :o

£18.50 to ship a £1.12 piece of rubber to Ireland dont think so..... will have to keep an eye out in the sports shops :p

• 2 months later...

Just ordered one of these pucks.

Do they clear the sill ok once slotted ?

Oh and have I got the right idea here, slot the puck, and use it on the flanges on the jacking points beneath the arrows on behind the doors ? (Octy 2)

Edited by swil00

Theirs a guy on detailing world sellings pucks with the cuts out. Got two the other week for about £13ish. Love them :)

Ok not as cheap as £1.25 but saves me the hassle of cutting out the slot :)

Edited by faboka vrs

Just ordered one of these pucks.

Do they clear the sill ok once slotted ? Depends on how deep you cut the slot!!

Oh and have I got the right idea here, slot the puck, and use it on the flanges on the jacking points beneath the arrows on behind the doors ? (Octy 2) Yes

I cut mine by placing the puck into the vice, then scribing the top of the puck by placing a chisel (15mm sounds somewhere near?) on top and scoring down both sides, then with a hacksaw cut down both scribed marks until the top edge of the hacksaw blade is flush with the top of the puck, repeat for the other scribed line.

Then use the chisel (make sure it is sharp!) to 'cut' the rubber in the middle away. :thumbup:

Theirs a guy on detailing world sellings pucks with the cuts out. Got two the other week for about £13ish. Love them :)

I have seen them also - they look no better than anyone competent at DIY can do, but if you either don't have the tools or are just too lazy :giggle: then it's ideal.

I've done a couple now. The first time I just used a hack saw and the second, I used an angle grinder but I wouldn't recommend that - the smoke and burning rubber small was hideous :rofl:

These pucks clear the sill just fine if cut to the right depth but I can see the point of paying for pre-cut ones. The only issue is that I had one puck which seemed to be cut-through a bit more by the sill as if the sill was sharp. I threw it away and the second one is lasting just fine.

• 2 months later...

Just used mine today and it took some paint off the sill, what seemed to happen was this twisted around the sill as I jacked up. Going to paint it up with some stone chip guard and hopefully that will keep it from rusting. Probably less damage than there would be without, but not entirely fool proof it seems. Perhaps I need to make the gap at the bottom more of a u shape than a v shape?

Just used mine today and it took some paint off the sill, what seemed to happen was this twisted around the sill as I jacked up. Going to paint it up with some stone chip guard and hopefully that will keep it from rusting. Probably less damage than there would be without, but not entirely fool proof it seems. Perhaps I need to make the gap at the bottom more of a u shape than a v shape?

Beats me how it managed to twist as you're only raising/lowering the jack aren't you? Any movement should be in the trolley moving and not the puck.

Having the trolley offset could potentially cause problems though!