It really doesn't seem to be my year......

so far.

I thought Id give the car a quick wash today to get rid of all the grime from the last few months. Snow foam was applied and rinced off only to start on the wheels.

I noticed a few spots of grease on the inner rim on my drivers side and thought it could be from the road, on further inspection I have a bit more areas of grease that is now smudged over the rim and I have a broken boot. NOT GOOD

Luckilly I have not got as much grease spread round the rim as there was a few year back so I think this is just a case of new grease and boot?

Also I have noticed that my fromt tyres are some how wearing more on the outer edges and the centre? they are always cheched and kept to 30 psi. The drivers seems the worst tho with a def square edge ont he outside and the inner is a tad smoother like the Pass side is. It is only the first 3/4" of the edges but its something Ive never come across before.

Could it be that I put the coilovers on back in 2007 then Had it geod, then I lifted the car ride back in Apr ish last year were all the wheels were taken off and I didnt notice any uneven wear, but all I did was raise the hight by 10 - 15mm ish all round but didnt get it geod again?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest westallc

if you had it setup for a lower ride height and then changed it to higher this would have alterd things at a guess and req you to do it again to sort out tyre wear.....

buddy im feeling sorry for dude im tempted to post you the spoiler free of charge lol

all the ebst mate

p.s sort a meet out and a b&b for me

so far.

I thought Id give the car a quick wash today to get rid of all the grime from the last few months. Snow foam was applied and rinced off only to start on the wheels.

I noticed a few spots of grease on the inner rim on my drivers side and thought it could be from the road, on further inspection I have a bit more areas of grease that is now smudged over the rim and I have a broken boot. NOT GOOD

Luckilly I have not got as much grease spread round the rim as there was a few year back so I think this is just a case of new grease and boot?

Also I have noticed that my fromt tyres are some how wearing more on the outer edges and the centre? they are always cheched and kept to 30 psi. The drivers seems the worst tho with a def square edge ont he outside and the inner is a tad smoother like the Pass side is. It is only the first 3/4" of the edges but its something Ive never come across before.

Could it be that I put the coilovers on back in 2007 then Had it geod, then I lifted the car ride back in Apr ish last year were all the wheels were taken off and I didnt notice any uneven wear, but all I did was raise the hight by 10 - 15mm ish all round but didnt get it geod again?

HI Billy, as Clive stated you would of needed the GEO reset as I did. I had 4 wheel laser alignment when mine was low and the rear showed some negative camber. So without wanting to wear tyres unevenly and getting fed up with planning most routes to get anywhere without scrapping the front spiltter, I raised the front 10mm and rear 20mm to give a more pointed down feel. Rechecked wheel alignment and it needed ajusting slightly at the front but the rear was bang on.

Regarding oil on the rim, i bet that is standard rubber boot replacement time.

I was under my car yesterday changing front disc's as the Mintex crap were showing sign's of warping. Put some Black Diamond combi ones on. Also changed the ARB links for the R32 ones as they are slightly thicker and better made. Car feels more planted at the front now, old drop links were knackered. Only been on car 6 months. That's what you get for buying none genuine ones.

if you had it setup for a lower ride height and then changed it to higher this would have alterd things at a guess and req you to do it again to sort out tyre wear.....

buddy im feeling sorry for dude im tempted to post you the spoiler free of charge lol

all the ebst mate

p.s sort a meet out and a b&b for me

cheers Clive mate,

thanks for the info I just cant see how its wearing funny on the outside 3/4" of the tyres and the centre.

I hope you do sell that spoiler soon mate so I can see your car finished lol,

I am gonna try get something sorted one weekend when the weather is better and we can meet then go for a small drive and have lunch somewhere.

all the best mate

billy

List of things now to do,

Rear:

Disks: EBC Grooved/Dimpled disks £139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370308170376&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Pads: EBC Ultimax pads £23

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3857657

- When I change the pads and discs I will need to wind back the pistons, has anyone got or used the GSF windback tool for £18?

- Also in Haynes it says I need to use NEW guide pin bolts? what are these and does anyone have a PN for them from Skoda?

I am also going to remove the RARB and clean it all up including the Clamps. along with removing the Rear springs and dampers and giving them a good clean up.

Front:

Remove the Coilovers and clean them all up and raise the ride Hight and fit the missing NUT I forgot about seen as they are off. Also going to replace all the bolts

New Ball Joints

- does anyone have the price of these from Skoda? or is it better gettin them from GSF?

I am hoping this will help with the funny loose knocking feeling on bumps I get thru the steering.

New Boot Kit from GSF £10 will need fitting by a Mech tho.

I am also going to clean up the front Callipers seen as Ill be taking them all offto reduce weight on the wishbone bushes.

then car in for a Geo allignment £50-80 (not sure)

then Ill be changing the Oil and filter myself and cleaning the PiperX filter, changing the Pollen filter*** pos the Spark plugs as they have never been done unless they didnt say in the service book, and Ill be getting the Brake fluid changed to dot 5 when I get the boot done. Then Ill be going to visit Fatty for a quick fault scan and reset service(Thanks fatty mate :thumbup: )

- What are some good plugs to go for?

- is it going to be simple to get the brake fluid changed from std to DOT 5? and how much do I need to get? as haynes doesnt seem to say the quantity. plus its never been changed in 5 years.

*** - is it easy ot get to or can it be a pain?

Edited by billy2981

Guest westallc

organise a day mate will come up and give you hand on the motor if you need..

aslong as you get some bacon butties on the go lol

damn it were is the thanks button when you need it lol.

thanks for that mate, Ill get it done this week seen as not workin, what do you think to the rear pads? I am gettin them coz they are cheap and I put some on my GF car and they seemed really good on the front. and I want to match the discs with the fronts.

Mark,

I will check but I have a feeling that the boot that is broken is the one that I pinched when fitting the Weitecs and as a result had the CV joint changed due to a ticking noise that actually was from the discs. iirc the std boots are a nice plastic on mine and the one that A and A put on for me was a rubber one.

but yea I wont be changing the CV this time just the boot,

billy :thumbup:

Guest westallc

pads will be fine the rears dont do much anyway lol

noticed today that my drivers side bot the small clip has come off causing it to ride up and down the drive shaft buggering *******s

any joy on the job front ???

best bet move down south do a security job got some very good contacts :thumbup:

List of things now to do,

- When I change the pads and discs I will need to wind back the pistons, has anyone got or used the GSF windback tool for £18?

- Also in Haynes it says I need to use NEW guide pin bolts? what are these and does anyone have a PN for them from Skoda?

HI Billy, yes I have the wind back tool from GSF (think it is a laser one) they all do the same thing. You really need it to make a easier job. You don't really need guide pins(these are the sliding pins for the caplier) unless yours are seized,(happens when the rubber end stop split and water gets in) and you will tell when you try to undo them and pull the sliding caliper up. You can un seize them using a water based grease easy enough.

I am also going to remove the RARB and clean it all up including the Clamps. along with removing the Rear springs and dampers and giving them a good clean up.

I did this too and painted mine Java green as per the calipers, same as my R32 FARB. Cleaned up the front coilivers too and treated them to stop any corrosion

- New Ball Joints, does anyone have the price of these from Skoda? or is it better gettin them from GSF?

They are not dear from Skoda can't remember price now, but GSF ones are ok.

- What are some good plugs to go for?

VK20 iridiums are good, never missed a beat on mine

For a Bacon butty I'll come up from Portsmouth to give you a hand... :p

Mark

pads will be fine the rears dont do much anyway lol

noticed today that my drivers side bot the small clip has come off causing it to ride up and down the drive shaft buggering *******s

any joy on the job front ???

best bet move down south do a security job got some very good contacts :thumbup:

cheers clive mate, thats what I thought about the rears also hoping that they dont do that mooing sound when reversing.

no luck yet only agency work but since Xmas there hasnt been anything, need the car tho lol,

them CV boots are a pain arnt they, good job you noticed it now and not when all the grease is all over the place.

:thumbup:

For a Bacon butty I'll come up from Portsmouth to give you a hand... emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

Mark

Cheers Mark, again were is the Thanks button lol, Missus says your easily pleased, all that way for a butty.

Ill get that one then its well priced and GSF are just down the road. Did the Ball Joints make the car feel any firmer?

Cheers Mark, again were is the Thanks button lol, Missus says your easily pleased, all that way for a butty.

Ill get that one then its well priced and GSF are just down the road. Did the Ball Joints make the car feel any firmer?

My missus says I am easily please too. :giggle:

When I changed ball joints last time, I also did the drop links so not sure what contributed the most to be honest.

Edited by Bowders1

My missus says I am easily please too. :giggle:

When I changed ball joints last time, I also did the drop links so not sure what contributed the most to be honest.

PMSL

lol

lookin at GSF they do a Ball joint separator tool, do I need it or is it just a case of undoing nuts n bolts and taking it off?

Just gettin all the parst I need and the PN lol so I can pedal down there to get it all lol. Bit of exercise after xmas lol

billy

PMSL

lol

lookin at GSF they do a Ball joint separator tool, do I need it or is it just a case of undoing nuts n bolts and taking it off?

Just gettin all the parst I need and the PN lol so I can pedal down there to get it all lol. Bit of exercise after xmas lol

billy

Yes , I would defo get the ball joint seperator tool, they can be a real pain to remove. I had to use one on mine.

I have one more question,

What brake fluid should I go for? I am totally confused, I thought that DOT 5 is better than Dot4 but just read on demond tweeks that a castrol dot 4 is a high performance alternative to dot 5.1?????

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=CAS1775

billy

UPDATE:

ok I am going to pick up all the parts I need from the "dealer" all OEM parts and Ill get the PN up of all the items when I get back all being well including 5W30 oil and filter and sump plug.

also getting some tools from Toolstation and GSF

I ordered EBC Ultimax DP1230 pads and EBC Sport GD 931 rear discs from:

http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/default.asp?PARTNER=google&gclid=CKrTs_HUsp8CFVtn4wodhHPT0w

as they were the cheapest I could find by around £10 (all adds up)

all in all:

Pads + Discs: £152.16 (free P&P)

Nuts + Bolts, Bushes + Bearings

Suspention top nut I missed off

Right and Left Ball joints + Locking plat + Top Nut

CV Boot Kit

Rear shock Bolts + Nuts

5l Quantum III 5W30 +Filter + Sump Plug £

Wind Back Tool (GSF) 98741 £

3pc Strut Tool (GSF) 98744 £

Ball Joint Puller (GSF) 98742 £

Oil Draining Pan 6l (Toolstation) 69629 £ 2.25

Oil Filter Wrench (Toolstation) 67000 £ 4.20

Edited by billy2981

cheers mate, dont you meen the rear ones? The fronts are just normal bolts, I know I couldnt get the rears of before due to the allan key head on it lol, I should be ok mate but if I struggle Ill get on my bike lol cheers

yea lol they are good, oh I have everything to do thefronts mate cheers, the rerars on mine are a tad tricky as I need an allan key for some of the bolts on it, I think its to get the bracket off? mine are, its wierd as they are not just normal bolts as I had to get a mech to do my rear disks as I had no tool strong enough to get them undone.

lol

billy

OK here we go, been busy today running round after bits and bobs.

Went to find a tip that I could take my old oil then round to A and A Tyres for a quote on Geo, CV boot fitting and Brake fluid change, GSF, Halfords, place for Parts, toolstation and Tesco lol nice round robbin.

A and A Tyres:

CV boot Fitting and Brake fluid change.......................................................£80 + VAT (£94 gonna be)

Geometry...............................................................Check................................FREE

...............................................................................Adjustment.........................£25 + VAT Per Axel (£58.76 gonna be)

GSF:

Wind Back Tool................................................... PN: 98741 ....................... £20 inc VAT and Discount (£21should be)

Halfords:

Ball Joint Separator Tool....(GSF didnt have one).....................................£7.99

Wynns Engine Flush......................................................................................£4.99

Parts: (All genuine VAG Parts)

Ball Joint (Left)...................................................................s 1J0 407 365 H ........................£23.10 rrp ;)

Ball Joint (Right)................................................................s 1J0 407 366 H ........................£23.10 rrp ;)

Hex Nut (Ball joint top nut) .............................................. N 101 06 402 .........................£0.65 x2

Bearing (Top of Front Suspension) ..............................s 1J0 412 249 ............................£5.60 x2

Strut Mounting (Suspension Top Bushes).... .............. . 1J0 412 331 C ........................£9.10 x2

Hex Screw HD ............................................................... ...s N 905 17 302 ..........................£0.93 x2 ................I think this is the Rear Damper bolt securing it to the rear Beam.

Nut (For the above bolt) ...................................................s N102 86 110 ...........................£0.44 x2

Threaded Bush (Nut for front Suspension)... ............... 1H0 412 365 A ........................£1.49 x2 .............. This is the Nut that keeps the Bearing and Top Mounting in place before fitting in to the leg.

Screw ..................................................................................s N 102 07 804 ..........................£1.72 x2 .............. I think this is the front Strut Retaining Bolt

Nut (For the above bolt) ...................................................s N 015 08 16 ...........................£0.65 x2

CV Boot Kit (nice plastic on not crappy rubber)............ 1K0 498 203 ...........................£15.79

Oil Filter .............................................................................s 06A 115 561 B ........................£5.12

5ltr Quantum III 5W30 ......................................................ZGB 115 QLB00501 .................£30.43

£120.38

Toolstation:

Few sprays and Black metal paint for the Rear ARB and pos the front Wishbones ................£22.93

All in all I think I have saved quite a bit of cash by doing this myself.

Also a big thanks to Fatty5000 for tip on parts and the uses of Vag Com in advance

also Bowders1 for info and hopefully gettin me a Hub clamp spreader tool.

I ordered

EBC Ultimax DP1230 pads

EBC Sport GD 931 rear discs from:

http://www.brakes4u....CFVtn4wodhHPT0w

as they were the cheapest I could find by around £10 (all adds up)

all in all:

Pads + Discs: £152.16 (free P&P)

:)

cheers

Billy

Edited by billy2981

If you still need the 7mm allen socket and fatty can't find his, I actually know where mine is :p although I dont know where my wind back tool is though :D

Edit: you dont need a ball joint separator either. Just a power hacksaw :giggle:

Edited by karlbar2k