How do I remove the gear nob?

Geraint

IIRC, it has a clamp of some sort holding it to the shaft that you can't get to very easily. You can't just unscrew it or pull it off with brute force...

You should be able to remove or unclip the gaitor from the base somehow, push it up like an umbrella and you should see the clip/clamp. No idea if you can reuse it or if you'd have to cut it off and replace. Either way, you'd have to make sure the new knob is attached firmly ;-)

( Was many years ago that I looked at this on my old fabia, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong... :D )

IIRC - Remove the ashtray - undo a couple of screws under it and then pry up the plastic surround at the base of the gaitor. This should come up with the gaitor itself and you can then turn it "inside out" to reveal the clip

Hi thanks for the replies. I have changed the nob, took over an hour to do - nightmare!

Tip, make sure you buy one with a gaitor attached, not just the knob.

How I changed:

No screws to undo, just pull up the gaitor (the leather bit only, not the plactic trim surrounding the gaitor) - pull all away up (within reason, to reveal the clip which needs to be removed)

Prise of the metal ring/clip (looks a bit like a jubilee clip), which is securing rhe gear stick (to be honest, how I did mine was sticking in a screw driver and wedging it back and forth until it fell loose.

As for replacing, straight forward if your nob comes attached with a gaitor, otherwise be brepared for some fun!

For no gaitor: I used a hand saw, to free the old nob. Replacing is straight forward, but you need patience.

Hope this helps you a little bit, sorry not in more detail. Good luck!

When I fitted the vRS knob in mine, the old metal clip was buggered in the removal process so an actual small jubliee clips was used to secure it and the gaitor went over it fine.

When you said " just pull up the gaitor (the leather bit only, not the plactic trim surrounding the gaitor) - pull all away up" - the gaitor material is usually attached to a plastic trim via a load of staples. Did you remove all the staples?

When you said " just pull up the gaitor (the leather bit only, not the plactic trim surrounding the gaitor) - pull all away up" - the gaitor material is usually attached to a plastic trim via a load of staples. Did you remove all the staples?

I see what you mean, No. I meant don't get confused by trying to pull up the outer plastic trim. I'll take a pic tomorrow for people to see for future reference. I might use a proper jubilee clip actually, because the new clip seems loose. Cheers!

I might use a proper jubilee clip actually, because the new clip seems loose. Cheers!

They need to be crimped on with the correct tool, it is possible to do it with a pair of wire cutters if you are very careful.

• 1 month later...

I also have a problem with my knob :rofl:

I have the blackline leather gaiter/knob one and every time I select 5th, the rear left-hand clip of the surround is lifted up and undone - the gaiter appears to pull it out, although I am only selecting the gear with the knob at the top.

Is there likely to be any easy fix to prevent this minor annoyance?

I gave up trying to change the knob on my 56 plate vRS because of the gaitor & collar. I didn't want to risk killing it with a saw and find the replacement knob didn't suit the gator bit at all.

My trusty Momo Race Air Leather now sitting unused.

I'd be interested to see pics of what you fitted and the end result, because I hate the cobra style knob on mine and might give changing it another go.