Clutch/Flywheel review

Bodge

Following on from my thread where I was researching what parts to buy ( http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/147124-new-clutch-options/page__p__1838424__fromsearch__1entry1838424 ), here is a final rundown after I've had it all fitted and done over 600 miles on the new setup.

I replaced the original LUK 225mm clutch and LUK dual mass flyweel:

DMF/clutch kit part number = 06A 105 264 M

Cover plate part number = 038 141 125 P

All parts were the originals at 108k miles.

Flywheel:

p1030013.jpg

Friction disc:

p1030016d.jpg

Coverplate:

p1030011.jpg

After sourcing a G60 flywheel from Skoda and LUK 228mm VR6 clutch kit from GSF, Awesome GTi then fitted the new bits:

VR6 Clutch kit = 021 198 141 A

G60 Flywheel = 028 105 269 BX

Flywheel:

p1030006.jpg

Friction disc:

p1030009.jpg

Coverplate:

p1030010.jpg

The G60 flywheel weighs = 9.4Kg (20.8lbs)

The OE DMF weighs = 10.1Kg (22.3lbs)

So the new flywheel is only 0.7Kg (1.5lbs) lighter. The engine revs a little quicker now, but you'd never notice if you didn't know I don't think.

The clutch pedal is lighter, and the bite/feel is superb. The clutch now feels as a clutch should, and changing gear is a pleasure again. I never really had much confidence in the original setup when trying to pull away hard, but now it's very positive. The coverplate just slams closed and you can use all of that power instantly. Really glad I did this mod. Parts cost £178, labour cost £259, so the whole job cost me £437 all in.

If anyone wants detailed prices, part numbers or any other details just ask or check out my original thread.

I hope this is of use to someone else who is looking to do this conversion in the future :thumbup:

Edited by Bodge

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did you get to fit the clutch Bodge?

Awesome fitted it mate. They charge £55+vat per hour, and they quote 4 hours for this job, so £259.

I didn't fancy doing it by myself on an icy driveway with no ramps!

I waited while it was being done, and the guys there made it look easy with their experience and all the right kit.

More so when DMFs are notorious for their inability to deal with high torque rise engines, you know like Diesels and the 1.8T (well, all things are relative, and it's high torque rise for a spyrk ignition motor).

Yeah same here. Have you noticed any difference in refinement or smoothness Bodge? I can't understand why they fitted a petrol motor with a DMF when petrols are hardly known for their vibes and harshness unlike the dweezels.

No not really. You just revert back to driving it like you should do, with more focus on a precise clutch use. Obviously you've lost that bit of give that the DMF had, that smoothed out most of the harsh gearchanges, but I think it's better this way. I'm finding it makes for better and quicker gearchanges when hammering the car down some twisty stuff. It's just nice the way it engages now, as you really have confidence that the gearbox and engine have become one.

No idea why they chose a DMF for the 1.8T! It's not as if gearbox's never lasted without them, and it's not as if the 02J gearbox is 1.8T specific or new/cutting edge. It's a well tried and tested gearbox fitted to all sorts of older VW's without DMF's. Personally I think DMF's were a backward step. OK, the gearchanges may be slightly smoothed, but the extra unreliability, complication and expense more than outweighs the benefits in my opinion. Guess it comes down to personal preference......

Nice one mate,

I take it its cheaper than gettin skoda to do it with std parts.

I might use it when the time comes lol, I bloody hope not yet for a while!

billy

Just a tad Billy!

Skoda wanted £836.63 to do the same job!

They wanted £422.73 for labour (5hrs @ £71.95/hr) and £413.90 for an LUK DMF/Clutch kit. No surprise that I laughed......

Ive to just had mine converted back to a single mass flywheel and have also found the clutch so much smoother and lighter .

The standard dual mass flywheel did last a good 114k so cant complain really.

The kit cost me 208 for clutch and flywheel and 150 to fit and it was done on my drive way by a vw trained mechanic (friend of mine)

I've had all sorts of problems with my DMF and clutch, its reached a point where i can't change gear over 2000 RPM's. I've deliberated over what to do with replacing the clutch for almost a week and ended up talking it through with police mechanics from work who service our Skoda's. Turns out they get the parts from a Skoda dealer up north who i contacted and got a brand new original genuine DMF and clutch for £294 and have found someone to do the replacement for £180 on Thurs evening.

They agree the solid flywheels are less problematic but the clutches wear out so much quicker with the thrashing the police give them so they always replace with original parts each time, they last twice as long apparently, sometimes even 40K before a replacement needed where as a solid will give out around 15-20K.

Anyone else need to know where to get the genuine clutch and dual mass flywheel let me know - they dont want it advertised!

I've done the same thing on my TDI, I got the whole kit off Ebay for around £200.

The flywheel weighed 10kgs so I took it to my machinist and got him to turn some off, it then weighed 6kgs.

I fitted it all myself, with some help from a mate.

It now revs up very quick for a diesel and takes off pretty quick too.

Next time drag racing I'm hoping for a 15 second run.

Is clutch feel improved? Cos my clutch feels numb, unlike for instance my old 205 Gti in which you could feel practically every grain on the friction plate!

Yeah I'd say that's one of the best things about it. Because it's a conventional flywheel, you get a proper feel back. I hated the old numb feeling too.

They agree the solid flywheels are less problematic but the clutches wear out so much quicker with the thrashing the police give them so they always replace with original parts each time, they last twice as long apparently, sometimes even 40K before a replacement needed where as a solid will give out around 15-20K.

I must say I was impressed that the original clutch lasted 108k miles! Pretty heroic compared to some cars. I suppose it makes sense that the DMF would decrease clutch wear slightly.

I'm pretty mechanically sypathetic, so my clutches normally last longer than normal. I'm expecting this clutch to outlast the rest of the car! Well, unless I get bored and tune the nuts off it one day.........

I know how you feel mate, I am quite attached to mine too lol.

Its even worse when you do stuff to them with your own hands

You still work in Huddersfield mate? near the Skoda place? sorry Uddersfield!

Serious note,

What is the difference between DMF and Single?

How come the single wears out faster?

I dont get it?

I do get what you mean about the feel in the clutch tho, my old astra was pritty nice and you could feel it on the bite more were as this one, I find myself riding it longer as I am unsure weather it in or not,

Billy the dual mass flexes and gives on the bite so it dont wear the plate as fast whereas the single just bites and gives you instant surge lol !!!!!:rofl:

Edited by Fastkwak

Billy the dual mass flexes and gives on the bite so it dont wear the plate as fast whereas the single just bites and gives you instant surge lol !!!!!:rofl:

Cheers dave,

So if you take it easy the SMF will be better?

think thats the way fwd,