help silly wiper problem

Hi to all fellow skoda owners ok real silly problem rear wiper works when lifted of rear window but moves about 2 inches when on rear window ?

have completly stripped motor and gearbox of wiper motor cleaned the bushes etc re-greased the gears

other silly thing is if i hold motor while its running it works it grinds a bit but unsure as to whats grinding

there are 2 large movable brearings that hold the rotor arm in place im wondering if these are loose....they feel resonably tight but not solid tight

so having braved the trial of removing the rear plastic sheet to expose the wiper gubbins and gassed myself with wd40 in an enclosed space then spent hours trying to get the motor bushes back together

im still non the wiser this was a replacment unit as first was done under the 3 year "just bring in and we will fix scheme" alas im now out of that ...irts an 05 plate

any help will be greatly recived

if i cant fix not paying for new assembaly again will just bung it off have seen some piccys on this site they dont look half bad when removed any how

besides the dam thing frightens me to death if ive forgot that ive moved stalk forward...lol

Hi to all fellow skoda owners ok real silly problem rear wiper works when lifted of rear window but moves about 2 inches when on rear window ?

have completly stripped motor and gearbox of wiper motor cleaned the bushes etc re-greased the gears

other silly thing is if i hold motor while its running it works it grinds a bit but unsure as to whats grinding

there are 2 large movable brearings that hold the rotor arm in place im wondering if these are loose....they feel resonably tight but not solid tight

so having braved the trial of removing the rear plastic sheet to expose the wiper gubbins and gassed myself with wd40 in an enclosed space then spent hours trying to get the motor bushes back together

im still non the wiser this was a replacment unit as first was done under the 3 year "just bring in and we will fix scheme" alas im now out of that ...irts an 05 plate

any help will be greatly recived

if i cant fix not paying for new assembaly again will just bung it off have seen some piccys on this site they dont look half bad when removed any how

besides the dam thing frightens me to death if ive forgot that ive moved stalk forward...lol

Hi Gibbly

I don't if I am missing the point, but is the arm just not slipping on the splines, and all you need to do is tighten the nut !

Radiotwo

Hi Gibbly

I don't if I am missing the point, but is the arm just not slipping on the splines, and all you need to do is tighten the nut !

Radiotwo

no its as solid as a rock all tight all greased still have to pry the arm off with screwdriver if i need to remove ......still scraching head

good question to be honest im not sure but today it worked twice ....lol

i think it is as its quite happy to go back and forward with the blade lifted

i dont know any better but its possible that the load is cutting somthing out what it is or where to look im not sure

there is a coil in the motor housing but is a hefty looking thing i would say that would not cut anything out until it had worn its way through the rear window

if it is not drawing current where or what should i look for ?

i would rather not refit that dam valance until its sorted as still wonderin just remove and bung or try to fix

this motor has only been on car for 3k miles so i dont think its that but has been standing for near enough 5 months due to injury on back

but i dont think skoda uk will stand that argument lol

any help or ideas all welcome

I was thinking of the wiper parking switch. Normally what happens is the wiper has power supplied all the tme to the parking switch in series with the motor. When you press the wiper button , power is supplied directly to the motor and the wiper starts. Once past the parking position, the parking switch takes over and you can remove the power from the motor. If the parking switch is high resistance, once this power is removed the motor will stall.

You can eliminate this as a problem by holding the rear wipe button down so that you are supplying power continuously. If it still stalls, then you have a problem elsewhere.

If you are 100% sure of your abilities, you could try poweiring the motor directly from the battery so that you bypass the car's loom. If you get a good clean wipe, it would indicate a high resistance power feed to the wiper, if still the same, it could be a high resistance earth to the wiper in which case you could try adding a separate earth.

D

thanks for that the motor will run as it should with arm lifted so i dont think its the switch but

what i will do is add a seperate earth strap to see if that helps if nothing else will eliminate at least 1 avenue

thank you for the reply i would not of thought of a poor earth will get on it later today

thanks for that the motor will run as it should with arm lifted so i dont think its the switch but

what i will do is add a seperate earth strap to see if that helps if nothing else will eliminate at least 1 avenue

thank you for the reply i would not of thought of a poor earth will get on it later today