High Oil Consumption (1.8TSI)

At the end of November, I took delivery of a new 1.8TSI. I've had it 2 months now and have done just a little over 2650 miles. Breaking in the engine I didn't baby it nor did I trash it to within an inch of its life. I did a few journeys to London and back (about 80 miles each way) and the usual daily commute to work, which is quite short (about 3 miles each way) and the occasional long journey on weekends. The other day I checked my oil level and noticed that is has reached the minimum mark. I booked it in with the dealer who topped up the oil, checked for leaks and sent me on my merry way and told me to return in 600 miles for a checkup. I enquired about the large oil consumption and they said that this can be normal. In fact, he quoted one of the mechanics who said that they are designed to consume about 1L of oil per 1000km (~600 miles) when new. Whenever I talk to anyone about it they are all very surprised and the incredibly high oil consumption. Per the dealer estimates, when it reaches the minimum mark it has about 1L of oil left, whereas you can fill it up with about 5L in total (according to the dealer). This would mean that my car drinks 2litres of oil per month! Do I have a lemon on my hands and the dealer wants to play down the problems? Is this consumption normal and should I be concerned? Can I do anything to reduce this consumption or will it go down itself? Would like to know your thoughts on this.

At the end of November, I took delivery of a new 1.8TSI. I've had it 2 months now and have done just a little over 2650 miles. Breaking in the engine I didn't baby it nor did I trash it to within an inch of its life. I did a few journeys to London and back (about 80 miles each way) and the usual daily commute to work, which is quite short (about 3 miles each way) and the occasional long journey on weekends. The other day I checked my oil level and noticed that is has reached the minimum mark. I booked it in with the dealer who topped up the oil, checked for leaks and sent me on my merry way and told me to return in 600 miles for a checkup. I enquired about the large oil consumption and they said that this can be normal. In fact, he quoted one of the mechanics who said that they are designed to consume about 1L of oil per 1000km (~600 miles) when new. Whenever I talk to anyone about it they are all very surprised and the incredibly high oil consumption. Per the dealer estimates, when it reaches the minimum mark it has about 1L of oil left, whereas you can fill it up with about 5L in total (according to the dealer). This would mean that my car drinks 2litres of oil per month! Do I have a lemon on my hands and the dealer wants to play down the problems? Is this consumption normal and should I be concerned? Can I do anything to reduce this consumption or will it go down itself? Would like to know your thoughts on this.

I thought the same thing but mine has now only done about 700miles, as long as there are no leeks its within the manufacturers recomendations (all be it seams a little steep for oil usage) i dont think you have a problem...... the other thing is i suspect your dealer maybe well off the mark- if its only got 1 litre of oil left when its on the minimum then how is it that when you put about a pint in it goes from min to max?

More like 4 litres left in when it's on the minimum mark. Mine guzzles oil too that's how I know how much it takes to fill between lines lol. Mine uses approx 1L per 1200 miles but can use more for some reason when it's driven slowly like it has been in the recent snow.

The car runs superb so I'm not worried.

Edited by vRSMart

Thanks for your replies.

Are you guys on variable servicing? If so, where do you get your oil from? I'd rather top up my own oil but have no idea where to get this VW Long life stuff and who makes it apart from the dealers direct (expensive). Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Halfords have compatible oil, it's £19.99 for 2l if it's the same stuff as the TFSI uses on variable.

I think there are also links to compatible oil suppliers on the site.

Our PD VRS used a lot of oil up until it had done around 18,000 miles probably 4 litres between services , now its on around 60,000 miles it barely needs topping up at all between services

Practically no oil loss in first year, nor since. At annual service in November they put the oil level half way up the marking on the dipstick, and that is where it seems to stay, though with admittedly low mileage on the car.

Mine has not done 2500 miles now and I put about 1/3 Litre in at 800ish miles and nothing since. I think it may only have been half filled from new as I did not check it until reading posts about high oil consumption on here. I got some Mobil 1 something or other approved to VW504 from Tesco filling station for £11ish. They were still doing it for that price the other day if anyone needs some.

As long as it meets VW 504.00 & 507.00 specs then I should be fine? Does the Halfords stuff say "For variable service" or something to that effect or should I look for the oil that meets specific standards (in which case is it just 504.00 and 507.00?). Thanks!

Thanks for your replies.

Are you guys on variable servicing? If so, where do you get your oil from? I'd rather top up my own oil but have no idea where to get this VW Long life stuff and who makes it apart from the dealers direct (expensive). Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Halfords do Castrol Edge 5W/30 to suit VAG spec 504.00 and 507.00 and it's £16.99 per litre or £44.99 for 4 litres. It states that it complies to Longlife servicing.

Check the breather is not blocked and that the breather pipes are in good condition as if blocked that can lead to a pressure build up that can cause increased oil use or leaking. The broken breather pipes would allow oil out also.

If that's all good, warm the car up and give it a really good Italian tune up and then if the oil isn't new give the car a drain, new filter and fresh oil.

Where in the country are you?

if you're my way I can probably get you a good price on 5L of oil, a filter and sump plug

Edited by cheezemonkhai

• 1 month later...

Check the breather is not blocked and that the breather pipes are in good condition as if blocked that can lead to a pressure build up that can cause increased oil use or leaking. The broken breather pipes would allow oil out also.

If that's all good, warm the car up and give it a really good Italian tune up and then if the oil isn't new give the car a drain, new filter and fresh oil.

Where in the country are you?

if you're my way I can probably get you a good price on 5L of oil, a filter and sump plug

My 1.8TSI seemed to get through oil quite rapidly in the first 500 miles but its oil consumption has now reduced. I think it will probably require 1L or 2L between services which is a bit of a shock to me since every other car I have had hasn't used any oil between services.

Dealer said it is normal for these engines to use oil especially when new.

It is usually normal for a new engine to use oil until the piston rings have bedded in against the cylinder bores, my 2.0 tdi pd 140 used about 1 litre of oil for the first 1400 miles after picking it up when it had 3000 miles on the clock, I have managed to bring that consumption right down by giving it some stick whenever I can, i.e. when warm accelerate hard up to the red line then change up, work the engine hard sometimes and the oil consumption will settle down.

Not recommended to run to the rev limiter as the misfire this causes can damage the catalytic converter matrix. (HJ advice), but sure near red line here and there and through first 2-3 gears helps.

Not recommended to run to the rev limiter as the misfire this causes can damage the catalytic converter matrix. (HJ advice)

Is that really true? :wonder:

If you want low oil consumption, you need to drive it hard from new, when warmed up emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Hmm, drove it "in a spirited manner" from day 1 and its used 1.5l in 6500...............

My Punto Multijet with its 150bhp remap, driven like it was stolen NEVER required a top up between 12K services.

Somthing not quite right here................

Hmm, I'm so glad I read this post. I've had my 59 Octy vRS FL since November last year. I ran it in slowly, and have given it some real beans since. I noticed the last couple of weeks that it was pretty lumpy and jerky when VERY cold, so I checked it over and found the oil down on the min line. I've put over 2 liters of magnatec 5w 30 in and it's settled back into good running now. I've only covered 5,900 miles, and was a little worried about the huge amount of oil used. I guess I shouldn't be too worried now then?

Edited by virusman26