Rear washer issue - DIY fix help

I've had the seemingly rather common rear washer problem.

I've just been in the boot and got my hand down the trim behind the light cluster.

I can feel a load of water beneath the CD changer so I'm fairly confident the pipe has popped off down there.

I've read a few posts where people have had the same issue.

I figure I should fix it myself, especially if it's just a case of popping a pipe back on.

How hard can it be! ~famous last words.... ;)

Just how much trim do I need to remove though ?

The plastic section on the boot lip, the 4 plastic discs around the CD changer, the little hook by the light cluster, and the bigger hook above the changer.

Anything else ?

Once I've got that off, is it just a case of putting the pipe back on ?

Cheers for any tips....

4334918382_3eb789df9a_o.jpg

I've had the seemingly rather common rear washer problem.

I've just been in the boot and got my hand down the trim behind the light cluster.

I can feel a load of water beneath the CD changer so I'm fairly confident the pipe has popped off down there.

I've read a few posts where people have had the same issue.

I figure I should fix it myself, especially if it's just a case of popping a pipe back on.

How hard can it be! ~famous last words.... ;)

Just how much trim do I need to remove though ?

The plastic section on the boot lip, the 4 plastic discs around the CD changer, the little hook by the light cluster, and the bigger hook above the changer.

Anything else ?

Once I've got that off, is it just a case of putting the pipe back on ?

Cheers for any tips....

4334918382_3eb789df9a_o.jpg

just to let you know I've just done this myself, you have got it right, fold the carpet back and you'll see the little black pipe parted, just a matter of pushing them back together again, oh there is two plastic discs under the cd player as well

Edited by oily

I've having the same issue as you so thanks for posting the picture on which clips to remove.

I located the rear screen wash pipe. Its basically where the arrow near the shopping bag hook is.

Mine had been leaking again as I found screen wash below. The spare wheel well also had some water, although nowhere near the amount when I collected my car. Then the pipe had basically come away and leaked a good 2 litres in the spare wheel well!

Strange thing is that its still connected. There was no slow drip but clearly had been leaking due to the present water.

I have a feeling the previous owner and the garage have not been using the VW screen wash. It's basically clogging up at the jet nozzle on the rear wiper. Add the freezing weather to that as well. So when you go to spray the rear washer jet, the pressure is forcing water to leak from the joint behind the CD Changer.

Mines booked in for a service on Wednesday so I'll be raising it with them then.

I've having the same issue as you so thanks for posting the picture on which clips to remove.

I located the rear screen wash pipe. Its basically where the arrow near the shopping bag hook is.

Mine had been leaking again as I found screen wash below. The spare wheel well also had some water, although nowhere near the amount when I collected my car. Then the pipe had basically come away and leaked a good 2 litres in the spare wheel well!

Strange thing is that its still connected. There was no slow drip but clearly had been leaking due to the present water.

I have a feeling the previous owner and the garage have not been using the VW screen wash. It's basically clogging up at the jet nozzle on the rear wiper. Add the freezing weather to that as well. So when you go to spray the rear washer jet, the pressure is forcing water to leak from the joint behind the CD Changer.

Mines booked in for a service on Wednesday so I'll be raising it with them then.

What a pallava that was !

I ended up having to get a claw hammer to help me remove those plastic discs around the CD changer frame.

The pipe had not come apart, but wasn't quite clipped in and so water must have been leaking from the join.

On top of that, the nozzle was blocked up and needed some persuasion from a a combination of a pin, some vinegar, and a can of compressed air.

Presumably the blocked nozzle had caused the back pressure to pop the joint.

I think cleaning that nozzle might become a regular check, to save all that mucking about with the trim again !

I've just done this fix, thanks for the post, most helpful.

Regarding the disc studs around the CD changer I ended up just cutting the heads off with side cutters as the first couple out were not in a very good state.

Replacement studs are 46p each so worth it to save a lot of hassle.

There are now small metal clips to fit over the pipe joins to stop them popping off again.

Hope this helps the next victim.

Tim

I've just done this fix, thanks for the post, most helpful.

Regarding the disc studs around the CD changer I ended up just cutting the heads off with side cutters as the first couple out were not in a very good state.

Replacement studs are 46p each so worth it to save a lot of hassle.

There are now small metal clips to fit over the pipe joins to stop them popping off again.

Hope this helps the next victim.

Tim

Did you make up the metal clips yourself ?

Or are they available ?

The metal clips are what the dealers use instead of the old fix, superglue.

I was told about them when I picked up the new studs having already glued my joint.

I assume you can get them from your local friendly Skoda dealer.

Tim

• 11 months later...

Thanks for this post, my rear wipe wash isn't working either, and my parking sensors are playing up ! Just hope that its

not knackered the parking sensors :-(

I know it was a long time back, but did you solve the issue with the washer on the Octy estate?

Thanks

Paul

• 10 months later...

Hi

I'm glad I found this forum as I have suffered a variation on the same thing. I'd noticed the top central brake light staying on when the car was off, and assumed it was the same (seemingly common) problem, but, instead of the connector popping off, the hose to the rear washer had partially perished where it crosses from the boot to the boot lid. So currently a pile of plastic trim adorns my kitchen as I wait for the replacement hose. (It cost about £8)

I hoping that the brake light will sort itself when everything has dried out, and thankfully the parking sensors are still working. I'm sure I'll be back when I fail to make all the trim fit back together though.

Thanks for the info. Also, can I spray WD40 into the connectors? It wont damage anything?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Thanks this thread helped me to find my split pipe and fix it. I too was getting water in the spare wheel holder.

For reference, attached is a photo highlighting where the pipe joins (and in this case has popped apart). This is on a Mk2 RHD Octavie, pre FL.

post-75434-0-47819100-1342781685_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello all I am new to this forum and wondering if someone has the answer to this. I recently purchased a Skoda Octavia Classic Estate. Noticed that when I press the rear washer jet water leaks on the inside of the driver's side above the relay box. Took me a while to work it out. Only started looking at it as my horn kept sounding off and electrics playing up.

I am now trying to work out how this could happens and where the connections are that I need to look at to see where the water is coming from.

Has anyone had this happen to them before and where I should look to try and work out the routing of the pipes if they run through the interior.

Does any one have any pics which would be useful as well

Any help would be appreciated

• 6 years later...

Then clearly you have an obstruction.

Before you go poking the wash fluid jet with a needle try disconnecting the pipework behind the trim and seeing if it flows from there.