bleeding brakes

skymandan

Always start furthest away from the master cylinder, so N/S/R then O/S/R then N/S/F and lastly O/S/F.

VCDS is only needed if you need to the bleed the ABS pump (because you have 'lost' all the fluid out of it letting air into the pump)

Thanks for the info Gizmo68, very helpful!! i'm only changing the discs and pads front and back. just thought i best find out in my brakes end up spongey. i shall start the job first thing 2moz :)

Hi Skymandan

What ever you do DON'T undo the the bleed nipple, just take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir and on the backs use the wind back tool.

and make sure the fluid does not spill onto the paint work

Radiotwo

How much fluid is used in a change and bleeding?

It's just for my next service (next month) I'll have it done. I already have the fluid and don't know how much to give them.

Hi Skymandan

What ever you do DON'T undo the the bleed nipple, just take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir and on the backs use the wind back tool.

and make sure the fluid does not spill onto the paint work

Radiotwo

Hi RADIOTWO, thanks for that, i was not aware i needed a wind back tool for rear caliper pistons. I've jus order some off amazon for £19, £30 for same 1's on halfords site, with v good reviews by people who used them on vags, so will be front pads and discs 2moz, and rear when tool arrives, good job i'm slow worker hehe :D

Just did mine this week, indeed the Haynes tip of opening bleed vavles when winding the rear brake piston back was the big pain in the bum as it allowed air into the system. To wind back the rear calipers, i used a pair of bent nose circlip pliers which works fine if your carefull. As for bleeding, I used a pressure bleed kit by gunson and it worked well, all be it the tyre valve connection snapping which meant i had to borrow a valve off my foot pump. Beware on the bleeding however, the bleed nipples seem to be very tight when being undone so keep the pressure of the spanner flat so as not to snap the nipple off.

I bleed in this sequence

1. Rear passenger

2. Rear driver

3. Front passenger

4. Front driver.

Just make sure the EZ bleed doesn't leak first (without brake fluid in the container) and keep the pressure quite low (think they say 20psi max but 16 should be enough). If the thing leaks air in the slightest after the initial gush of air, then when you put brake fluid in it will just **** it everywhere all over your engine bay. Also EZ bleed does tend to overfill the reservoir a little (think it's because air compresses easier than brake fluid or something) but a turkey baster or running the ez bleed container dry a little will help remove any excess.