How to access the 12 v cig-lighter in rear console?

Hello!

I was wondering if it is possible to access to the 12 v. cigarette lighter on the center console in the back (the one with a little digital clock and ashtray) of the car. I am installing two dvd screens for the rear seat passengers and do not want the 12 v plugg sticking out of the cigarette lighter. I want to open up the center console and access the cigarette lighter from the inside of the console and connect the powercables from the dvd screens directly to the cables within the console.

- Is it possible to open the console?

- Can you access the console by removing one of the two sidepanels ?

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I was wondering if it is possible to access to the 12 v. cigarette lighter on the center console in the back (the one with a little digital clock and ashtray) of the car. I am installing two dvd screens for the rear seat passengers and do not want the 12 v plugg sticking out of the cigarette lighter. I want to open up the center console and access the cigarette lighter from the inside of the console and connect the powercables from the dvd screens directly to the cables within the console.

- Is it possible to open the console?

- Can you access the console by removing one of the two sidepanels ?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how it comes apart, however I would suggest you investigate the removal of the inner part of the console bin, the box under the flip lid, I've an idea this will give you the best access to it rather than mess with the outer casings.

I don't know how it comes apart, however I would suggest you investigate the removal of the inner part of the console bin, the box under the flip lid, I've an idea this will give you the best access to it rather than mess with the outer casings.

If I remember correctly, the screen with the clock and the temp, can be removed simply by removing it gently with a small screwdriver or something similar. So you don`t have to remove those side panels.

Hello again!

Thanks for the screwdriver tip on removing the console in the rear. Indeed it took only a little pressure with the tip of a screwdriver to release the console. It came out with quite a loud snapping sound but everything worked out fine. I cut off the male end of a 12 v splitter socket and severed the two cables that lead to the cigarette lighter. One brown and one multicoloured. I intertwined both ends from the splitter and connected them to the car`s 12 v cables: (The black/white from the splitter to the mutlicoloured and the black one to the brown).

I needed some help from my 10 year old son (thin arms, small hands) who was able to take the power outlet cable from the dvd player all the way to the bottom of the console and out underneath both side panels, afterwards taking them all the way up to the headrest.

The cables to the headphones fittet nicely in the rubber door fittings and with an extention cable I was able to take them all the way to the headrests of the backseats so all cables are hidden.

The console snapped snugly back in to place.

Thanks again fellas!

Here is a picture of the console. The cable is just visible coming from underneath the sidepanel and going up along th seat to the neckrest.

DSC00910.jpg

Edited by Doc Watchtower

Very tidy...

Could you upload a few photos of how the screens look and the headphone connections.

Could be a good option.

d

Will do, as soon as the wife (and the car :rofl: ) is home from work tonight.

Ingredients:

41lQlg567tL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And:

31UNlRmykjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Remove the 12 v splitter male plug, (2 screws) and proceed to remove the two clips so that you just have the wires and two female plugs. Remove 1/2 inch of the plastic wire coating to get bare copper ends. Now you have two black wires and two black/white wires. Intertwine the bare endings of the black and the black one as well as the black/white and black/white one.

Put a blunt screwdriver tip behind the black/ silver frame of the console, starting on the top left side and then the right side. Don`t use excessive force! The console wil snapp out of it`s casing and can be pulled out (about 5 inches). Now remove the white connector that is connected to the back of the cigaret-lighter. The white part as shown on picture.

1j0-cig-socket-cover.jpg

Cut the wires attatched to the white connector (one brown, one mutlicoulered) about 2 inches from the connector, strip the plastic wirecoating for 1/2 an inch. Intertwine the bare endings of the pair of black ones (from the splitter) to the brown one of the car, as well as the pair of black/white (from the spiltter) ones to the multicoloured one of the car using for exampel this one:

kroonsteentje.jpg

Then put in the two wires that come from the cigaret-lighter socket in the other side, put the connector back in place.

Take the 12v connectors from the dvd powercords and put them in their splitter sockets. Take the other end of the powercords (that goes into the dvd player) and have someone with thin arms take the connector all the way down to the bottom of the console, (you can see the carpet on the floor of the car when you peep inside the console. Then pop the little powerconnector underneath the sidepanels and pull the rest of the cable through. Then hide all the connectors and the splitters inside the console and pop the console in place again.

Hope this makes sense?

When working on the car, pleas take the key out of the ignition and watch out that you don`t accidentally while working "connect" the bare wire endings with for example a pair of scissors or a metal screwdriver as this might result in a busted fuse.

Finished.-)

Will post a couple of pictures later on.

Edited by Doc Watchtower

As promised some pictures of the endresult:

DSC00924.jpg

DvD screen with headphone-cable hidden in the rubber fitting of the door.

DSC00928.jpg

Headphone cable

DSC00931.jpg

Headphonecable in the door listing

DSC00929.jpg

The console with the two powercords coming from underneath the sidepanels

DSC00933.jpg

Headphones on the head-rest in the rear. Cables are hidden between the edges of the seats and the carpet lining the wall of the car.