Leaking, Water Ingress, Funny Smell inside car

Should this be put in the Car Manuals  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should we as consumers be allowed to know where the drain points are on the car, to stop water ingress happening and to protect your money from rotting your car?

2. 2. Did it fix it

last week we had snow in Norfolk and I have had from time to time electrical issues with the car from battery issues to the lasted air bag light. When my passenger said to me that my leg was wet, well had to do something.

I did a search to see if any one out there on the web have come up with the fix, Yes and it effects most of the cars out there. Then I tried to find where are the drain holes are. Plenty of sites out there but not one but I thought that I would have a look at Forum and read the TXT and have a go at it for the Fabia.

Look at the picture and it easy to get the area. Place your fingers near the edge of the ECU and just below and you will feel the flap of Rubber and open it up and all the rubbish and water will escape. If it does than this safes you the taking the washer blades of and breaking the cover to get the part with the problem and costs by doing it.

http://www.myfinepix...ery/18275/74274 copy and paste your web browser

I wish I done this and also had the information to hand 6mths ago and could of saved my wiring looms and electrical faults and days that I could not attend work. Due to a design fault. IE the flaps of rubber are to fat, so when there is a build up of water and rubbish built up it cant move and holds it there. Then goes into the foot-well on the passenger or the carpet.

It needs to be checked every 6mths I would of thought to save it from happening again.

I trying and seeing if the drying out and then get the faults fixed would save me money.

There's supposed to be one the other side too near the brake cylinder. I couldn't find either though, and at least I now know it's under the ECU.

Long term solution is to buy the 3 clips for the scuttle panel, take the wipers off then the scuttle panel, and remove all the leaves built up in there. It's supposed to be included in the service but is something often overlooked until water enters the car.

Edited by anewman

There's supposed to be one the other side too near the brake cylinder. I couldn't find either though, and at least I now know it's under the ECU.

Long term solution is to buy the 3 clips for the scuttle panel, take the wipers off then the scuttle panel, and remove all the leaves built up in there. It's supposed to be included in the service but is something often overlooked until water enters the car.

My model of skoda is 2000 comfort 1.4mpi. It may be there, it worth while to have a look. Thanks for feedback.

I tried in vain to find these myself, thanks for posting some info and a picture! Anyone got any idea where the drivers side one is? A picture would def help

I took the wipers and scuttle panel cover off mine, was clear in there although i didn't remove the plastic cover on the passenger side. I tried, but it seemed reluctant to come out and I didn't want to snap it

I tried in vain to find these myself, thanks for posting some info and a picture! Anyone got any idea where the drivers side one is? A picture would def help

I took the wipers and scuttle panel cover off mine, was clear in there although i didn't remove the plastic cover on the passenger side. I tried, but it seemed reluctant to come out and I didn't want to snap it

HI,

Thank you for you feedback in to this problem and I think that there is one drain hole on my car and have had no more water in side. There is the doors so they say can let water come in. Just had touch around the driver side but I cant get some areas due to the parts and needs to looked from the bottom.

Looked at the picture and it at the bottom half near the curve. I can see the flaps of rubber when you look from the back drivers, across to the ECU, if you know where I mean.

I can get a picture from that direction if you want?

Many thanks.

Wohoo found it, didn't find one anywhere else though.

Lifted it up, put finger in... nothing came out. As I say my plenum looked pretty spotless so wasn't expecting much, but good to know where it is.

Thoguht it was a bit strange though, as it seems to be in a position where it can drip directly onto the parts below. Not sure what parts they are, but still seems like a bad idea to me lol

Ive had this done , the drain holes in my car were blocked with what looked like silt or fine mud , where that came from I dont know , but it caused water to flood thru my pollen filter. Since it was done Ive had no problems. PS its not just Skoda , this seems to affect many VAG cars , I assume they use the same rubber parts on the drain holes , bad design?

Its a perfect time in the south of the country due to the rain and wind that we expected soon. Is it were I found or I have I been lucky.

Today I came through a down pour and found no water in the passenger foot well. So I think it has worked for me but please keep the feedback coming in and then I can get the feedback to the Skoda and Hanyes to inculde this in the manuals.

Thank you for the feedback.

Andrew

• 4 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but its a SERIOUS problem! I've emptied my chamber today. I've posted a new thread in ignorence to doing a bad search on the topic. That explains my story. The drain plug on the driver's side seems to be a little myth however. :wonder:

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but its a SERIOUS problem! I've emptied my chamber today. I've posted a new thread in ignorence to doing a bad search on the topic. That explains my story. The drain plug on the driver's side seems to be a little myth however. :wonder:

Hi,

i have had no problems since I fixed, now look at every 3mths.

Thanks for dragging this topic back up!! I didn't know about this little trick and I was contemplating removing the scuttle panel to do this, which would mean having to get hold of new clips.

Only prob is, I can't really see what I need to be doing/checking from the pic provided. I just see what looks like the ecu, some pipes and sound deadening. Am I right in thinking that you are supposed to be able to remove something to get at leaves/dirt etc under the scuttle panel? Perhaps an access panel or a plug or bung of some description?

Thanks for dragging this topic back up!! I didn't know about this little trick and I was contemplating removing the scuttle panel to do this, which would mean having to get hold of new clips.

Only prob is, I can't really see what I need to be doing/checking from the pic provided. I just see what looks like the ecu, some pipes and sound deadening. Am I right in thinking that you are supposed to be able to remove something to get at leaves/dirt etc under the scuttle panel? Perhaps an access panel or a plug or bung of some description?

Hi,

If you place your hand under the ECU and near the bottom of the left side as you look at the picture you should feel a flap of plastic ope the flap by feel and it should move easily and may hear water rush down put finger into hole and remove the rubbish that you can feel and this should fix the issue and safe on part costs.

Andy

I've spent ages today trying to find this drain hole, I've felt all round the back of the ECU and can't feel anything I'd describe as a rubber flap. Can anyone post a piccie up with an arrow of where to grope?

My pollen filter was soaking so I'm guessing the water has come in here?

• 1 month later...

I've spent ages today trying to find this drain hole, I've felt all round the back of the ECU and can't feel anything I'd describe as a rubber flap. Can anyone post a piccie up with an arrow of where to grope?

My pollen filter was soaking so I'm guessing the water has come in here?

put you hand below the ECU and lower below the curve and feel around there