Suspension Geometry settings on FL vRS?

Looks like there are revised geometry settings to avoid excess tyre wear. Are these now the standard settings on the FL models, or should I consider having a full check on my new FL vRS?

I took delivery of a new car at Christmas, I had a check a few weeks ago & mine are starting to show the signs of the dreaded saw tooth wear on the rear inner edges after 3,000 miles.

The new settings are 1.2 degree neg on the rear, mine is at -1.73 & -1.50, I did not trust the numpty at the local tyre place to adjust it, so booking it in to Wheels In Motion at Chesham, they seem to be well respected

IMG_0116.jpg

So, what is making the geometry go out so easily? Some robot not tightening some bolt properly at the factory?

Is there a published, definitive geometry document, other than just the -1.2 camber value?

I might invest in a full geometry alignment soon after delivery. Might be better than ruining a set of tyres before I find out!

Edited by sam_underhill

So, what is making the geometry go out so easily? Some robot nor tightening some bolt properly at the factory?

If there a published, definitive geometry document, other than just the -1.2 camber value?

I might invest in a full geometry alignment soon after delivery. Might be better than ruining a set of tyres before I find out!

I dont think it has slipped, just that things are not that accurate from the factory.

I guess the 1.2 neg is used when people complain, If you look at the attachment I posted, you can see the tolerence is between -1.25 & -2.25, which is quite a bit. Mine was all in spec (the boxes would be RED when out of spec)

This was checked on a Hunter 4 way alignment Machine using the strored data in the machine.

PS, do a few miles to allow everything to settle before you have it checked.

I dont think it has slipped, just that things are not that accurate from the factory.

I guess the 1.2 neg is used when people complain, If you look at the attachment I posted, you can see the tolerence is between -1.25 & -2.25, which is quite a bit. Mine was all in spec (the boxes would be RED when out of spec)

This was checked on a Hunter 4 way alignment Machine using the strored data in the machine.

Do you mind if I ask where you had it checked? Just 01246 is a Chesterfield number and I want mine to be checked over.

Thanks

Do you mind if I ask where you had it checked? Just 01246 is a Chesterfield number and I want mine to be checked over.

Thanks

Is there a published, definitive geometry document, other than just the -1.2 camber value?

The figures are usually stored in the machine, as mentioned above, although some machines still have the old figure for rear camber so make sure you check it.

Here are some numbers for you:

Octavia II (2004-) Sports Suspension RS (2UC)

Front

Camber 0°41’ ± 0°30’

Caster 7°47’ ± 0°30’

Toe 0°05’ ± 0°05’

Total Toe 0°10’ ± 0°10’

Steer Ahead 0°00’ ± 0°03’

Rear

Camber 1°20’ ± 0°30’ (These are the revised settings)

Toe 0°05’ ± 0°05’

Total Toe 0°10’ ± 0°10’

Thrust angle 0°00’ ± 0°20’

All figures shown in degrees and minutes.

Edited by peter0976

The figures are usually stored in the machine, as mentioned above, although some machines still have the old figure for rear camber so make sure you check it.

Here are some numbers for you:

Octavia II (2004-) Sports Suspension RS (2UC)

Front

Camber 0°41’ ± 0°30’

Caster 7°47’ ± 0°30’

Toe 0°05’ ± 0°05’

Total Toe 0°10’ ± 0°10’

Steer Ahead 0°00’ ± 0°03’

Rear

Camber 1°20’ ± 0°30’

Toe 0°05’ ± 0°05’

Total Toe 0°10’ ± 0°10’

Thrust angle 0°00’ ± 0°20’

All figures shown in degrees and minutes.

thanks.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Sorry only just saw your question.

Its Wingerworth tyres on the A61 between Chesterfield & Tupton.

£25 for the check I Think (was definitely no more than £30)

Depends who checks it, (ask for Ryan) but he was not there when I went in so I had a trainee, :'( good for checking as its simple to do, just watch them when they put on the frames on your alloys, if they get brutal they can scratch them, just stay close to them & they will take extra care (you are not stopped from staying with the car)

• Like 1

Sorry only just saw your question.

Its Wingerworth tyres on the A61 between Chesterfield & Tupton.

£25 for the check I Think (was definitely no more than £30)

Depends who checks it, (ask for Ryan) but he was not there when I went in so I had a trainee, :'( good for checking as its simple to do, just watch them when they put on the frames on your alloys, if they get brutal they can scratch them, just stay close to them & they will take extra care (you are not stopped from staying with the car)

I took mine to them three times, and after every time they adjusted it the steering wheel still wasnt straight when the car was going straight. The dealer has since taken it to Advanced Accident Repairs, and they had to adjust it AGAIN, but the steering wheel still isnt straight! Please see my other topic "FL VRs Steering Wheel not straight ".

According to the dealer, they have never ever had a problem with Wingerworth or tracking on an Octavia!!

Edited by Alex1980