1.4 16V Crankcase Breather System - Where is it ?

Hello,

I've done various searches on this forum, but cannot find the answer to my queries - replies would be gratefully received

Basically, I want to give the car a good clean in terms of oil deposits- in response to my engine management light, which gave the reading "EGR - Insufficient flow"

1. Crankcase Breather system - where is it, is it easy to clean ?

2. Removing throttle body - as long as I don't disconnect any wiring, and just remove the allen bolts, to get at the EGR port underneath, does this have to have a VAG reset ?

3. I've heard that the inlet manifold can become blocked - where is this ?

4. Anything else I should be doing ?

Also, I'm aware of the dreaded piston ring failure, but am I right in thinking this usually leads to EGR excessive (rather than insufficient) flow ??

Jon

Edited by skoda675

Hello,

I've done various searches on this forum, but cannot find the answer to my queries - replies would be gratefully received

Basically, I want to give the car a good clean in terms of oil deposits- in response to my engine management light, which gave the reading "EGR - Insufficient flow"

1. Crankcase Breather system - where is it, is it easy to clean ?

2. Removing throttle body - as long as I don't disconnect any wiring, and just remove the allen bolts, to get at the EGR port underneath, does this have to have a VAG reset ?

3. I've heard that the inlet manifold can become blocked - where is this ?

4. Anything else I should be doing ?

Also, I'm aware of the dreaded piston ring failure, but am I right in thinking this usually leads to EGR excessive (rather than insufficient) flow ??

Jon

It could well be the egr valve/system blocked. Remove the throttle body and the egr valve, leave both multi plugs connected unless you can reset them using VAG COM. The egr vavlve is easiest removed if you take the studs out, it will then slide out of position. Using carb cleaner or similar, give them both a good clean. If you look in the inlet manifold you should see the egr port, using what ever means you can, clean the pipe from the inlet maniflod to the egr valve flange, do not try to get the egr pipe out, it's a pig. When you replace it all make sure you use 2 new gaskets on the egr valve or you could get a high flow fault as it will suck in air.

The crankcase breather system is a rubber hose that comes from the back of the block (behind the dipstick area) and connects to the side of the air filter. There is then an internal pipe that runs the length of the air filter, open at the throttle body end, rubber mushroom vavlve at the other. Often there are generous deposits of mayo in the pipe whcih need cleaning out with carb cleaner or solvent. I do mine every 5000 miles with an oil change, if it starts to block you will notice increased oil consumption. I havealso used engine flush a couple of times, but I've done 85k miles. A search will throw up plenty on both problems.

• 1 month later...

It could well be the egr valve/system blocked. Remove the throttle body and the egr valve, leave both multi plugs connected unless you can reset them using VAG COM. The egr vavlve is easiest removed if you take the studs out, it will then slide out of position. Using carb cleaner or similar, give them both a good clean. If you look in the inlet manifold you should see the egr port, using what ever means you can, clean the pipe from the inlet maniflod to the egr valve flange, do not try to get the egr pipe out, it's a pig. When you replace it all make sure you use 2 new gaskets on the egr valve or you could get a high flow fault as it will suck in air.

The crankcase breather system is a rubber hose that comes from the back of the block (behind the dipstick area) and connects to the side of the air filter. There is then an internal pipe that runs the length of the air filter, open at the throttle body end, rubber mushroom vavlve at the other. Often there are generous deposits of mayo in the pipe whcih need cleaning out with carb cleaner or solvent. I do mine every 5000 miles with an oil change, if it starts to block you will notice increased oil consumption. I havealso used engine flush a couple of times, but I've done 85k miles. A search will throw up plenty on both problems.

Thanks for the tip re the pipe within the air filter - just checked mine and it was clogged full of mayo. Engine end of oil breather seems ok (blows free with oil filler removed)

I've also been getting EGR - insufficient flow on my Octavia 1.4 16V. Oxygen sensor was also gummed up and has been replaced - probably due to increased oil consumption

The 1.4 16v seems to like being used - I used to do 18k a year in it - used virtually no oil between services. It was only when it was retired for an easier life (3k/year) that oil consumption shot up and EGR/Lambda faults started showing up. Don't want to spend too much on this high mileage old bus - tempted to bring it back into full use until it goes bang - probably would improve! My other car is a Diesel Superb 1.9pdi - fuel costs not a big issue going back to Octavia- The Superb does about 47-49mpg to work and back the Octavia 1.4 used to do about 44-46mpg(always use Optimax or Tesco 99) on the same run.