Dipstick tube confusion

Went to order a new dipstick tube today, and I was faced with an option. The top tube (aka funnel), bottom tube with o-ring (aka guide) or both.

I was a bit confused as I thought it was just the one tube, like these: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Maintenance/Engine/Oil_Dipstick/ES261126/

In the end I just said I'll have both! He couldn't tell me if the lower part was metal or plastic so god knows what I'm getting! From this diagram it looks like the lower part just pushes into the crankcase. Surely it must have a clip or something!

18tengine.png

Does anyone have any idea what I'm on about?! I always assumed it was a one piece affair....

Unhelpful answer:

dip·stick

n.

1. A graduated rod for measuring the depth or amount of liquid in a container, as of oil in a crankcase.

2. Slang A person regarded as foolish or contemptible.

Still unhelpful answer:

How come you need to order a replacement? is your broken? If so can't you see what you have, and therefore what you need to order as a replacement?

I picke up 1 a couple of weeks ago,so will post part no. later.It was 1 piece not 2.

Cheers Jay, I got the part number already from VAGCAT :thumbup: .

Should be 06A103663B, but maybe with a new revision letter.

Mine's cracked, but I always thought it was a full length affair like the one on the ECS link above, so I was a little confused when I was faced with two parts that's all.

I found a picture of the lower tube, and it turns out it's metal. And fits into the crankcase. Since I've bought it I may aswell fit it now, so does anyone know how they fit into the block? Can't find any info on this. I'm hoping it's on a spring clip of some kind. If it's pressed in or riveted in then I wont be touching it! I'll just manufacture a smoking pipe from it or something!

Here's what I mean:

waterpumpt.jpg

Guest westallc

havent a clue i orderd that went to pick it up from skoda and told them they can keep it lol ( they wasnt happy )

Number 3 is the plastic guide, it is sort of tapered and clips around the metal bottom piece, I changed mine a few weeks back, its quite tight tbh.

it requires a good shove downwards to lock into place.

HTH:D

06A103663B is the correct part number.

Cheers Jay.

I just went and picked up a whole bunch of odds and sods that I ordered from Skoda.

That's the P/N on the dipstick funnel I bought is 06A 103 663 B, so that's all good. £2.81+vat.

The other bit I accidentally got was the dipstick guide tube on part number 06D 103 634 E. It's a short metal pipe that goes between the block and orange funnel. O-ring on the top of it, and a collar and spline on the block end. Looks like it just slides into the block so I might just replace it becuase I have it! Was £6.51+vat.

How freakin expensive are the wheel centre caps!! £4.77+vat each! On part number 6U0 601 151 L MHB. The MHB bit on the end signifies black/bright chrome finish apparently.

How freakin expensive are the wheel centre caps!! £4.77+vat each!

I replaced all four of mine last year IIRC it cost me £27 :( I said that would be the last time I got fussy about little things on the car but then I went and spent the same sort of money for replacement front and rear Skoda badges! The dealer must've seen me coming... :doh:

I was covinced that my man was wrong as well going off the diagram on etka.

You can have a practice pushing the plastic tube on lol

It a bit daunting doing it in situ for the first go as you feel you may break something and end up with bits in the sump

• 2 months later...

What do the MHB wheel caps look like? I was hoping the "black/chrome" meant the design would be just those 2 colours without the green?