Yeti Dog guard/luggage restraint & sunvisors

Hi there

I'm in the process of getting prices to order a Yeti in the next week or so. It is a bit of a mission since the SUK brochures and website are useless. Only after reading the Yeti manual were most of my questions answered! But I still have some which I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer:

1. The UK accessories brochure shows a black metal dog guard for circa £104 fitted behind the rear seats (the function of which is not described in the manual at all). When I go camping in my Audi A2 I sometimes leave the rear seats at home and use the whole boot with a guard fixed behind the front seats. Can this Yeti guard be moved to this position behind the front seats? The manual shows a completely different guard that is a roll up fabric affair that can be mounted both in the boot and behind the front seats. BUT if you look at the interior pictures (look at page 2 of the Accessories brochure here: http://new.skoda-auto.com/COM/model/yeti/look/Pages/look.aspx?ff=0 ) the brackets/connection points where this is supposed to hook into are not there (near the two rear interior lights). Yet if you look at page 81 in the manual you can see the connection points in the ceiling in this area just below the lights. Also look at figure 53 on page 61 of the manual. How does one specify these bracket/connection points? Can one get the roll blind in the UK and how much does it cost? And if one orders the black metal one (as a dealer fit) are the rear bracket/connections in the ceiling standard to the car?

2. Double sunvisors: these are shown with an asterisk in the manual (p62) meaning they are optional. Do UK Elegance models have the double sunvisors?

3. MDI: has anyone retro-fitted this? If you connect your iPod solely via the head phone jack in the Jumbo box I suspect it only plays whatever the iPod is playing? You need to control the playlists etc from the iPod and there is no control from the Belero apart from volume?

Thanks

Johann
London

I will give it a go :yes:

1: The metal dog/cargo guard is a pain to take inn and out of the car, it is not easy to retrofit because fitting it involves drilling holes in the headliner and fitting threaded rivets into metal structure of the roof. It can only be fitted in the position pictured in the accessories catalogue.. Not a great choice if you want flexibility.

I have never seen the fabric roll up type, but my guess would be that you get the fixtures for fitting the net in both trunk and behind the front seats if you order the cargo net. The fixtures are not standard on a car ordered without the net.

2: I don't think double sun visors can be had on Yeti's in the UK? Correct me if I'm wrong :wonder:

3: You are correct about not being able to control anything but the volume if an ipod is connected via the AUX port. I have retrofitted MDI, but not in a Yeti. Works like a charm in the Superbs I have fitted them, and also in my Yeti which has it as a factory fitted option (I live in Norway) . It should be no problem to retrofit MDI in a Yeti.

Hope this answers some of your questions :yes:

Jon A

I will give it a go :yes:

Hope this answers some of your questions :yes:

Jon A

Thanks Jon...

The dog guard/luggage restraint being fixed is really daft indeed! The Volvo XC70 has a better solution with a fixed version but it can at least fold up into the ceiling. So won't be getting that from the dealer then.

If the hooks in the ceiling has to be ordered from the factory and thus fitted there, why oh why does SUK not have it as a tick in the options list?! Or maybe that is precisely why the fabric divider shown in the manual is not shown in the accessories list! Oh to be able to go to Skoda at the factory itself and order a car just as we would like!!!! In that case I can have these mounts, the clever sunvisors, the MDI connector and black Alcantara in an Elegance spec.... oh well. Perfect world this is not...

I've now confirmed the order with Drivethedeal, they phoned back yesterday and I'm now waiting for the Skoda dealer to contact me to finalise the order. Then I'll be in the same boat as many of you in counting the days to becoming a Yetidada. Ordering: Aqua blue, 140 CR TDI 4x4 Elegance, with sunroof, tyre pressure monitors, spare wheel with variable floor, park assist and the 12 speaker hifi upgrade. Skoda dealer only wanted to give £700 discount where is DtD's was nearly £2500 off.

These people do adjustable ones:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/dog-guards/

tom

Thanks Tom. I looked at those for my A2, BUT the problem is that they are fixed between the roof and the floor for their strength. And as per my A2 the Yeti will have a glass roof! So not exactly what you want to fasten a luggage restraint against! ;) One emergency stop and your luggage rack pops the sunroof out!

Though in saying that, this headrest mounted one might work. It is what they suggest for the Yeti anyway:

Yeti dog guard

It might just do the trick at the front too, though there will be a gap between the bottom of that and the top of the Jumbo Box. Though nothing a sleeping bag can't plug! It is the loose things on top flying forward that is a problem.

Thanks Tom. I looked at those for my A2, BUT the problem is that they are fixed between the roof and the floor for their strength. And as per my A2 the Yeti will have a glass roof! So not exactly what you want to fasten a luggage restraint against! ;) One emergency stop and your luggage rack pops the sunroof out!

Have a look at this one

I've just ordered one for the Yeti (when it arrives!!) it fixes onto the two outside headrests and can be adjusted for width and height. You can also leave the parcel shelf in place so useful for luggage retention as well as our four legged friends!

Simon

There is this type as well, headrest fitting but also resting on the "floor".

As an aside Towequipe gave me a ridiculously low quote for fitting a towbar to my Yeti at their premises.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saunders-Car-Specific-Dog-Guard-Skoda-YETI-09-ON_W0QQitemZ290422225368QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439e8379d8

tom

Thanks again Tom. If you do a further search I found this helpfull page:

Complete headrest mounted list

From that I will pick one that will fit in the space behind the front seats as well as in the boot (with or without spare wheel floor). Reason for that is that there is a gap between the seats and the higher floor and I suspect the "feet" of this guard will in fact need to go down to the "real" floor.

t96.jpg

I wonder also if that funny W shape at the bottom is in fact to allow these guards to get over the "transmission" tunnel when fitted behind the front seats?

Have a look at this one

I've just ordered one for the Yeti (when it arrives!!) it fixes onto the two outside headrests and can be adjusted for width and height. You can also leave the parcel shelf in place so useful for luggage retention as well as our four legged friends!

Simon

Dog guard arrived today!! Didnt even pay for next day delivery. Seems very well made and very easy to fit. Not got the Yeti but fitted into the i30 in about 5mins :yes:

Simon

• 3 months later...

My two golden retrievers (dark coloured working model- smaller than light coloured show model) fit in the back of the Yeti with no problems apart hair and drool on seat back! I have a spare wheel and hence a raised boot floor which makes it easier for them to jump in and out. A boot tray from towequipe.co.uk was a good buy at £32 including delivery. No dog guard as yet, has anyone got the Skoda guard?

travall.co.uk are bringing out a custom guard for the Yeti soon (as of 14 July).

As a comparison, the 'official' guard for my last car (Honda CR-V) cost £175 from the dealer.

The Travall guards look great but seems you can't use them in both the boot and behind the front seats. That is what I want. A guard that is both a dog guard and a luggage restraint when in "van" mode.

Someone on here has the official Skoda one and posted detail pics somewhere in a thread. They have a white Yeti and that is as much as I can remember sorry!

As an aside Towequipe gave me a ridiculously low quote for fitting a towbar to my Yeti at their premises.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saunders-Car-Specific-Dog-Guard-Skoda-YETI-09-ON_W0QQitemZ290422225368QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439e8379d8

tom

How much for the tow bar? mine was £279 no prep, twin plug electrics, fixed, from Indespension, excellent service and price

• 1 year later...

So how did the dog guard go? I have 2 large breed dogs and hoping to buy a Yeti some time soon. I don't like the look of the rail type of dog guard and as one of my dogs is a puppy, I would prefer mesh. We have a mesh type in our Berlingo.

I was thinking of buying one of these guards as I hate dog hairs floating all over the car. I want one that fits behind the front seats though as the back seats will need to be removed to accommodate 2 large dogs.

Safe D Guard

I also think the boot buddy is a great idea for keeping the car clean, but a bit expensive Boot Buddy

Hi there

I'm in the process of getting prices to order a Yeti in the next week or so. It is a bit of a mission since the SUK brochures and website are useless. Only after reading the Yeti manual were most of my questions answered! But I still have some which I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer:

1. The UK accessories brochure shows a black metal dog guard for circa £104 fitted behind the rear seats (the function of which is not described in the manual at all). When I go camping in my Audi A2 I sometimes leave the rear seats at home and use the whole boot with a guard fixed behind the front seats. Can this Yeti guard be moved to this position behind the front seats? The manual shows a completely different guard that is a roll up fabric affair that can be mounted both in the boot and behind the front seats. BUT if you look at the interior pictures (look at page 2 of the Accessories brochure here: http://new.skoda-auto.com/COM/model/yeti/look/Pages/look.aspx?ff=0 ) the brackets/connection points where this is supposed to hook into are not there (near the two rear interior lights). Yet if you look at page 81 in the manual you can see the connection points in the ceiling in this area just below the lights. Also look at figure 53 on page 61 of the manual. How does one specify these bracket/connection points? Can one get the roll blind in the UK and how much does it cost? And if one orders the black metal one (as a dealer fit) are the rear bracket/connections in the ceiling standard to the car?

2. Double sunvisors: these are shown with an asterisk in the manual (p62) meaning they are optional. Do UK Elegance models have the double sunvisors?

3. MDI: has anyone retro-fitted this? If you connect your iPod solely via the head phone jack in the Jumbo box I suspect it only plays whatever the iPod is playing? You need to control the playlists etc from the iPod and there is no control from the Belero apart from volume?

Thanks

Johann

London

Hi there

Thanks

Johann

London

Hi Johann,

it might have been me you had in mind re a discussion on the merits of the Skoda luggage restraint, it's excellent by the way, very strong and can be removed easily and quickly, but useless if you have the seats flattened, or out altogether. I've stuck mine in the hut and forgotten about it.

I was using it in it's other role as a dog guard, and found it quite restrictive as it impinges on the internal boot space quite markedly, it requires dealer fitting (unless you've got the right kit to fit the screwed inserts) and I believe it's a one position fit only.

I'm trailing a large dog up and down the country to various shows, and as he sits all the time I felt he was a bit cramped on a long journey, plus we were going to get a second one, so I went to a local fitter who made me up a full length guard, roof to floor, which uses the dealer fitted inserts to form a strong support. I also removed the spare wheel assembly and replaced it with the parts to make the boot deeper (more room for the dog(s)). I now carry the wheel where the left rear seat used to be (lashed to the seat supports) I've removed all three as there's only the two of us travelling. I'm in the process of getting a second guard made up which will come further in to the front of the car (as far as a the row of rear seat "U" shaped brackets) this will give the animals even more room and as a luggage restraint would allow you to really pack the kit in.

I'll send you some pictures if you PM me to give you an idea of what I mean (I'll also add a couple of a tail gate assembly for those with multiple animals / kids who won't wait their turn to jump out of the rear under control!!!!!!)

Tom

Hi again, I think I've attached some pics, let me know if you want any further detail anyone.

post-227-0-94699800-1315236526_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-21330000-1315236529_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-28816400-1315236531_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-70062000-1315236532_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-57083800-1315236534_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-52465900-1315236536_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-11359400-1315236538_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-93059900-1315236539_thumb.jpgpost-227-0-71066500-1315236541_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'll send you some pictures if you PM me to give you an idea of what I mean (I'll also add a couple of a tail gate assembly for those with multiple animals / kids who won't wait their turn to jump out of the rear under control!!!!!!)

Tom

Thanks Tom. That post was my very first one on here in April of 2010. So I have since bought a cheap headrest mounted one. Other people might want to see your pics so post them on here! Use something like http://imageshack.us/ to host the picture and use the photo button above (the poloroid picture of a tree) to post it.

Hi again, I think I've attached some pics, let me know if you want any further detail anyone.

Perfect! Looks good. Thanks for posting those.

That looks great :thumbup: I would be interested to see the new guard you are having made up. We have 2 weimaraners, think size and build of Dalmatian, but in grey :giggle:

The only way we can fit 2 large dogs in the back of a Yeti is to take the back seats out completely. But we still need to fit a dog guard to keep them restrained.

Are there any fixing points to fit a dog guard behind the front seats? We would like to leave a little space behind the front seats, just enough to fit one shopping bag for the weekly shop.

Other half is great at DIY, so I am sure he could knock something up.