Tyre Wear on Dunlops

The GTs are directional, I checked my car and also this is quoted on the dunlop site as being so.

http://www.dunlop-ti..._type=passenger

This site says they're non-directional.

http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=SP+Sport+Maxx+GT&mrktarea=Performance

There's nothing on the tyre wall to suggest they are - last directional tyres I had had a big warning on the wall.

Bob

--

I suppose I could look at swapping front to rear to get some more life out of them, but they are directional (tyres have "Outside" marked on the tyre...) so won't be swapping diagonally...

If there is an "outside" that means they are asymetrical and the outside marking is essentially a warning to the tyre fitter. You could swap left to right.

If they were uni-directional there would be an arrow on the sidewalls indicating direction of rotation and they could only swap front to back

Or am I wrong?

I have just clocked 7,000 miles in my petrol with Sport Maxx GT's

Fronts are 80% worn, rears are saw toothed to hell & noisy.

The fronts had noticeable wear at 3,000 miles.

Terrible tyres, but I know Skoda are not going to gave a T*ss.

:(

If there is an "outside" that means they are asymetrical and the outside marking is essentially a warning to the tyre fitter. You could swap left to right.

If they were uni-directional there would be an arrow on the sidewalls indicating direction of rotation and they could only swap front to back

Or am I wrong?

Yeah mine just say "outside" so at least I can reverse their direction then emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Ok, just cleaned the car and had a good nose at the tyres, is this sort of weart pattern (on both fronts but not the backs, both sides of the tyre) standard? My last car had buscuit wheels at 25 quid a corner so this is a new one to me.

Ta!

4507140601_5a63bc19fe_o.jpg

Glad my new one has Conti Sport Contact 2's on today that I picked up! Also picked up a massive stone chip on the bonnet though :'(

Ok, just cleaned the car and had a good nose at the tyres, is this sort of weart pattern (on both fronts but not the backs, both sides of the tyre) standard? My last car had buscuit wheels at 25 quid a corner so this is a new one to me.

Ta!

4507140601_5a63bc19fe_o.jpg

Doesn't look good to me. Two questions;

1. have you considered steering geometry is or is not correct (I'm think that the wear pattern you have is perhaps indicative of excess toe-in)? and

2. what tyre pressures do you run, by the book at 2.0 or higher (there is plenty of earlier discussion on the forum from 2008/09 that around 2.2bar-2.3bar works well).

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

• 1 month later...

Collected my vRS on Wednesday - after what I'd read on here I expected it to have Continentals on but NO. Dunlp Maxx GT all round - BUGGER. Why me?!!! :'( Still a cracking car though - even better than my old Mark1 vRS

Horrible tyres. Can't wait for mine to be worn out so I can replace them with ones that do actually provide some grip and don't deafen me at the same time. Never had tyres as noisy as the Dunlops.

If I can find somewhere selling Vredsteins near Wakefield I'll take a look at those - Pilot Sport PS3's are about £140 a corner. :(

Horrible tyres. Can't wait for mine to be worn out so I can replace them with ones that do actually provide some grip and don't deafen me at the same time. Never had tyres as noisy as the Dunlops.

If I can find somewhere selling Vredsteins near Wakefield I'll take a look at those - Pilot Sport PS3's are about £140 a corner. :(

Ordered mine from Camskill and getting them fitted tomorrow... Will see how they last, cos if they don't I'm back to the Michelins because I know they're expensive, but they're a damn good tyre, my last 2 sets on the Saab I had lasted 24 and 27K respectively (17" rather than 18' wheels, but driving style is the same)

Yeah that's my main concern aside from where to get them fitted - how they wear. Read a lot about the PS3's and they seems to give massive levels of grip and last quite well, and they're quiet. Just expensive as you say.

Yeah that's my main concern aside from where to get them fitted - how they wear. Read a lot about the PS3's and they seems to give massive levels of grip and last quite well, and they're quiet. Just expensive as you say.

I'll know in a few months emoticon-0100-smile.gif My car is only 4 months old and the Dunlops are coming off tomorrow, just under 10K which is seriously cr4p...