5N0 035 342B - MDI Unit

4506302928_f89c20bb37_m.jpg

and it also came with this

4506243670_7f45f62b6e_m.jpg

Also got a MDI to IPOD cable

4505611175_79cd9195cc_m.jpg

It did come with a cable but I dont think it would have worked so ordered a

36418 cable from Kufatec as this looked more the fit

(Apparently Kufatec makes wiring harnesses for VW in Germany)

4506247552_a7ebf561e5_m.jpg

I have tested the unit and all works ok as far as I can tell.

the ipod and an iphone work show on the screen and play.

No software update needed to enable the MDI

The above statement is true but it will give an error in the log as its not enable on the Canbus gateway

its nothing that will stop it working but if you want it all correct then you will need to hook a Vag Com unit to the car or try and get you local skoda dealer to change it.

I am just awaiting some parts to complete the install mainly MDI pocket so that the cable housing fits into to complete the install

I will update this thread with some more pictures and install information when its done in the next few weeks.

24/04/2010 - Still waiting for a few parts told next 2 weeks

06/05/2010 - Still awaiting parts delay at factory

20/05/2010 - Got a delivery date of Week 24 so not long now

21/06/2010 - Have all of the parts now and the MDI tray is handed and only for left hand drive that could be why its not available in the UK no right version of the pocket

4738325737_a8fdaeb3db.jpg

Did the install in to the top tray that did involve cutting a hole for the MDI connector

4723886241_66a5a9c613_m.jpg4723886713_801ba1c2a5.jpg

and all is working fine

4738329345_8d41039373_m.jpg4751332896_31de3b767b_m.jpg

It's a faily simple install but you do have to pull some of the dash apart.

And worth a note that you will need to take a dremel to the top box.

Edited by drbig

This has made me very happy- thanks ever so much for posting and do let us know how it goes, and pass on where you have sourced the parts from.

When I asked Škoda UK whether I could retrofit MDI if and when the parts become available in the Uk, they said categorically no. Shows how much they know!

Looks like I might escape the chore of converting all my mp4 to mp3 and then writing them to an SD card!

Thanks, that's cool. Why Skoda UK don't make it available as a factory option I will never understand.

Where did you put the socket? It's supposed to be in the little tray under the ventilation controls I think.

Thanks, that's cool. Why Skoda UK don't make it available as a factory option I will never understand.

Where did you put the socket? It's supposed to be in the little tray under the ventilation controls I think.

Thats the bits I am waiting for :'( the pocket with the MDI slot.

Just thought I would test out the other parts and was pleased that it worked with out having to get out the VCDS.

But did take a dump of the settings before starting just to ensure that nothing went wrong.

I have been told 2 - 3 weeks for the little tray and thats only listed as LHD so should be interesting not expensive parts either.

Brilliant! It is really sad that we have to resort to this when you can get MDI on Irish right hand drive Yetis from the factory... So there are no issues between left and right hand drive as I think I saw someone say one day.

I look forward to your fitting guide with parts numbers!

These are the sort of posts that are really helpful - parts numbers, photos - thank you for posting. :)

Whats the cost for the parts so far?

Good luck with finishing it off - I also agree, Ireland have it available - who the heck decides that the UK cant specify it as an option! :S

I have asked Skoda customer service about this and a Skoda PR lady but all they could say is they have "no plans for MDI in the Yeti"

Seems crazy when it is available on RHD cars and it would put another £150 in their pockets as a factory fit option!

If you have an iPhone can you get it to play music over the bluetooth channel?

These are the sort of posts that are really helpful - parts numbers, photos - thank you for posting. :)

Whats the cost for the parts so far?

Good luck with finishing it off - I also agree, Ireland have it available - who the heck decides that the UK cant specify it as an option! :S

Costs

MDI £140

MDI - IPOD £19

KUFATEC MEDIA-IN/MDI Interface - Harness - About £46

The MDI tray for the Yeti should come in around £12

That's brilliant. How long in total did you spend in total doing this?

If it's relatively low on time to do I could probably offer it to members in future.

Cant give full time at this moment as I am awaiting the MDI tray

but I am sure that it would more sorry should have been less than 1hr

it only takes 5 mins to get the head unit out.

and the great thing is that none of the OEM items are touched or damaged

More info will follow once I have the final parts

Edited by drbig

That's brilliant. How long in total did you spend in total doing this?

If it's relatively low on time to do I could probably offer it to members in future.

Put the first one down for next Saturdays pick up then! ;) :yes: (thats if the factory didnt manage to do it on a non UK MDI build code).

Would a UK dealer be able to supply the parts? If not where can you get the parts from? I was thinking about an Irish dealer given, as per an eariler post, MDI is available across the Irish sea.

I assume then for the less mechanically minded of us, that I could just then get a dealer to fit the parts.

Sounds like a plan!

Would a UK dealer be able to supply the parts? If not where can you get the parts from? I was thinking about an Irish dealer given, as per an eariler post, MDI is available across the Irish sea.

I assume then for the less mechanically minded of us, that I could just then get a dealer to fit the parts.

Sounds like a plan!

MDI and the MDI lead sourced on EBAY just looking they are still on there but have gone up in price quite a bit since I got mine

The lead from KUFATEC not found anything like it in the uk but not with standing that the one that I got with the unit I could make work with very little hassle but not as neat a job

The MDI tray from a local dealer

The Ideal solution would be for Skoda to release somthing as a dealer retro fit.

Edited by drbig

it only takes 5 mins to get the head unit out.

Great post.

I need to remove my headunit soon (powered subwoofer fit).

Any tips or tricks for this (I have a set of trim removal tools already).

Is it just a case of removing the black trim, then 4 x bolts ?

Great post.

I need to remove my headunit soon (powered subwoofer fit).

Any tips or tricks for this (I have a set of trim removal tools already).

Is it just a case of removing the black trim, then 4 x bolts ?

Yes its that simple enough cable to pull the unit out enough to see the connections on the back

Where does the control unit fit? Is there brackets that come with it or does it just dangle/ lodge down the back of the Dash? I'd be very intereted in trying this out too as I will miss the ipod interface that I have on my Blaupunkt unit at the moment.

The 3.5mm line in within the jumbo box is ok, but its going to be very distracting to try and change tracks etc from down there when moving. Having it all on the Bolero will be much safer.

Getting the parts seems to be the easy bit.

Are all the wiring looms included or already in place?

More fitting/ installation pictures please.

Where does the control unit fit? Is there brackets that come with it or does it just dangle/ lodge down the back of the Dash? I'd be very intereted in trying this out too as I will miss the ipod interface that I have on my Blaupunkt unit at the moment.

The 3.5mm line in within the jumbo box is ok, but its going to be very distracting to try and change tracks etc from down there when moving. Having it all on the Bolero will be much safer.

Getting the parts seems to be the easy bit.

Are all the wiring looms included or already in place?

More fitting/ installation pictures please.

Wiring loom is on the back of your headunit just using an adaptor cable between the loom and the headunit

Still awaiting some parts to arrive from dealer once I have them I will then do the install with pictures

I will update post #1 with info once I have all of the parts

Wiring loom is on the back of your headunit just using an adaptor cable between the loom and the headunit

Still awaiting some parts to arrive from dealer once I have them I will then do the install with pictures

I will update post #1 with info once I have all of the parts

Dear Drbig

Can I ask if you are fitting this to the Columbus head unit as in my Superb?

I only ask as they managed to get the parts but said that they couldn't attach them as the "loom" wasn't in place under the armrest.

Are you saying the cable you bought from Kufatec just plugs into the back of the unit wetween it and the loom and the MDi fits into that?

Thanks

Chough