Bolero and the CAN gateway problem

Hi from Italy! Probably I have the same problem. I want to change the terrible stream mp3 with bolero in my octavia scout 2007. The revision of my gateway is K.. :( not far from L but.. It's sure that K give me problems?

I've seen many possibilities on Ebay for new gateways and my friend could recode it by vag-com. But the problem is: Where is the gateway..? At now i've seen only golf mk5 location under the sterring.. and in the Octy..? Thanks a lot! :)

Marco

Hi Marco

I replaced the gateway in my Octavia on Thursday and the battery hasn't gone flat...yet. The Gateway on RHD Octavia is directly behind the glovebox and only requires removing 6 screws. It is attached to a metal bracket pointing down. For LHD cars I believe the Gatway is located behind the steering wheel.

Hope this helps?

Hi Marco

the gateway is located right from the steering column. Remove the panel underneath the steering wheel and look right from the steering column. It is located on the side of the middle console.

Thanks a lot Milesunder and Magic 62! :) Today on italian forum another one say me that in his rs 2006 is between the accelerator and the brake.. :|

Now i'm sure that in one of the three position there is it.. :) But there is a news.. He mounted a bolero and has no battery drain problems.. :o He has a revision K like mine..

And now...??? At this point, i think to connect the new radio, and check the amperage on the fuse with the tester, if after 30 minutes disappears.. Other suggestion..? Thanks!

Thanks a lot Milesunder and Magic 62! :) Today on italian forum another one say me that in his rs 2006 is between the accelerator and the brake.. :|

Now i'm sure that in one of the three position there is it.. :) But there is a news.. He mounted a bolero and has no battery drain problems.. :o He has a revision K like mine..

And now...??? At this point, i think to connect the new radio, and check the amperage on the fuse with the tester, if after 30 minutes disappears.. Other suggestion..? Thanks!

Hi Marco

I tried to install the Bolero without replacing the CAN over one weekend. Whilst there was no apparent battery problem at the time a week later I then ended up with a flat battery. It isn't worth taking the risk.

To be honest with the information supplied you should be able to locate it.

Good luck

Thanks a lot Milesunder and Magic 62! emoticon-0100-smile.gif Today on italian forum another one say me that in his rs 2006 is between the accelerator and the brake.. emoticon-0108-speechless.gif

Now i'm sure that in one of the three position there is it.. emoticon-0100-smile.gif But there is a news.. He mounted a bolero and has no battery drain problems.. emoticon-0104-surprised.gif He has a revision K like mine..

Take the padding away and look, you cant miss it.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while now. I have an 05 FL Octy with the original Stream HU.

I managed to buy a Bolero from eBay a few weeks back.

I fitted it but it immediately asked for a code, so I took it to my local Skoda dealer here in Tonbridge who was able to perform a central code lookup (£30) after I had provided the donor car's Reg and hence chassis/serial number.

With the code entered the unit worked perfectly (apart from no temp or parking sensor display), but I did notice some feint clicking coming from the glovebox area, and sure enough a few days later my battery had died.

My '05 apparently has an old 'H' gateway. The Skoda garage want £147.27inc.VAT for the latest 'Q' CAN gateway unit and another £65+VAT for the time to code.

So I am now in the market for a new CAN gateway and someone to re-code it!

I have seen this unit on eBay for £85+£10postage from Poland: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180572923211

My questions to the group are therefore:

- Could someone please tell me what revision this part number is?? - do you simply pull the 'K' from the part number?

- Could anyone say with confidence that this revision will be compatible with my '05 Octy and the Bolero and not cause the battery drain issue?

- Are there any VAG programmers in Kent (I'm in Tunbridge Wells) who could help me re-code the new unit - obviously for a price?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Fantastic news - many thanks for your reply Mike.

That fills me with confidence so I'll order the bus from Poland and message the VAGCOM people in Kent to see who's nearest me.

..suppose it's too much to ask that the upgrade bought back the barking sensor display? - I know that the Bolero supports it in it's 'native' vehicles.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan

I recently upgraded my Stream to a Columbus, and had the same issue as you on battery drain.

Firstly, the Q revision is NOT the latest revion, and don't let your dealer tell you it is.

This one in the ebay listing IS the latest revision (AD) and is the same seller I bought my new gateway from. It works PERFECTLY in my 54 plate, and has totally solved the battery drain problem. It took about 5 days to arrive

Go for it, it IS the right one.

It took me roughly half an hour to code in, so I don't know where the dealer is getting £65 from.

Have a look at this link to who has VCDS/VAGCOM in your area

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/74720-vag-com-diagnostic-system-vcds-owners-map/

and there is a similar thread for VCDS owners on www.seatcupra.net as well

Hope this helps

Mike

For info my MY06 (May 2006) registered Octy2 vRS TFSi had no issue with battery drain and it was straight plug and play when I upgraded to a Bolero. But I forsee an upgrade being required for my current MY05 PD140 Octy. Still need to find a suitable Bolero unit mind you :)

To clarify on the parking sensors and climate issue, it would need later revision of both gateways for these, in order for it to work. And as Manny mentioned earlier, for climate, a complete swap to the new climate control unit, and a revised dash surround. Just not worth it in my book.

Cheers,

Steve

Also, I'll post the gateway revision from my old Octy (MY06), to which a simple Bolero swap was applied, and to which no battery drain occurred. Then people will know that if their gateway at leasts meets this revision, they'll be OK.

The revision is shown when you run a VCDS diagnostic scan, if people want to check theirs. Or you could pop the glovebox down and it'll be written on the unit :yes:

Cheers,

Steve

Okay not bothered about temp/climate, but I would like to see the parking diagram come up - am I right in thinking that a new 'AB' CAN will be able to pickup the paking sensor input and make it digestible by the Bolero HU?

Cheers, Dan

To clarify on the parking sensors and climate issue, it would need later revision of both gateways for these, in order for it to work. And as Manny mentioned earlier, for climate, a complete swap to the new climate control unit, and a revised dash surround. Just not worth it in my book.

Cheers,

Steve

As I've said, for this to work you'll need an updated controller for the parking sensors.

When you're reversing you tend to look backwards, or in your mirrors, not at a screen in the middle of the dash? Can't see the benefit myself. The audible tone is far, far more useful IMO.

Steve

Okay not bothered about temp/climate, but I would like to see the parking diagram come up - am I right in thinking that a new 'AB' CAN will be able to pickup the paking sensor input and make it digestible by the Bolero HU?

Cheers, Dan

I was under the impression that to get parking display on screen (Bolero/Columbus) in a pre-FL Octy you need a new parking control ECU (in addition to the CAN gateway) and you also need to run some wires from the parking ECU (in the boot) down to the CAN gateway

No parking or climate display on the Columbus even with the latest CANBUS revision. I had it on the Stream, and missed it for all of a full day when I upgraded.

What about on the Bolero ??

I have a new enough CAN gateway and sure its possible with only a new PDC controller and a couple of new can wires

Is it possible. It's more the issue of going to the time and expense of swapping over the required modules and adding wiring, for what I consider limited, if any, benefit.

Each to their own though :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Guys, been reading over the forums.

Initially I was wanting a Columbus headunit, but at £600 it's made me change my mind ( I think )

Looking at the bolero as an option now,

I have a 58 (09 registered ) octavia elegance with stream headunit just now, if I was to buy this:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264855-bolero-radio-for-octavia/#entry3128221

Would it go straight into my car without any battery drain issues, coding etc?

Also am I correct in sayin that PDC & climate won't show up?

Cheers

G

Hi again G,

This post takes me back :)

Upgrading to the Bolero means you will certainly lose the climate display but you won't miss it. The only thing I do miss at this time of year is the outside temperature display on the head unit. Have to look at speedo now ;)

Can't really comment on the PDC as I don't have this installed.

You can replace the climatronic to a newer FL one with a simple wire change and new trim.

Hope this helps?

Guys, been reading over the forums.

Initially I was wanting a Columbus headunit, but at £600 it's made me change my mind ( I think )

Looking at the bolero as an option now,

I have a 58 (09 registered ) octavia elegance with stream headunit just now, if I was to buy this:

http://www.briskoda....a/#entry3128221

Would it go straight into my car without any battery drain issues, coding etc?

Also am I correct in sayin that PDC & climate won't show up?

Cheers

G

I would have thought a 58 plate (MY2009) would be fine WRT to battery drain issues. Best thing to do is get a VCDS scan and see what revision your gateway is. Generally I work on revision L or above doesnt usually have a battery drain issue. I would expect your year of car to be above an L revision.

If you have a pre-fl car you will lose the parking display and climate control image on the Head Unit unless you upgrade your PDC controller which is expensive.

I dont look at the stereo when reversing so never miss the PDC image and its also no issue what so ever to not have the climate settings displayed on the screen because I choose the setting I want by looking at the climate dials, not the stereo display. Never missed it for even one second and the advantages of fitting the bolero over the stream far outweigh those two small issues.

One thing to note is the screen may suffer from being dull. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/257729-bolero-not-very-bright/ Again I think your year of car could be ok.