YETI ADVENTURE WALES.

Llanigraham

Having studied my rosters, consulted with a higher authority (wife) and checked everything else, it would appear that the only weekend I have free to lead a Yeti Adventure is Saturday 5th of June.

I suggest that the meeting point is The Elan Valley Visitors Centre, at around 1100 for coffee. We will then drive to Claerwen Dam and follow the gravel road along the side of the lake, to the top where we can stop for a picnic lunch, then return to the Dam to drive through the Elan Valley to possibly do another green lane. That decision can be made later.

Claerwen Lane is suitable for any Yeti and does not require 4 wheel drive, but it is bumpy and can be either mucky or dusty, depending on the weather. If you look on Google Earth StreetView you can follow the whole lane and see what it is like.

If there are more than 5 that wish to attend then the groups will have to be split up, as the guidelines are that there should not be more than 5 vehicles in a group on "green lanes".

So......names please??

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subject to finding somewhere to stay over (a bit far for a day trip for us) we are definitely interested - although Mrs B would like to know just how much of an adventure we are looking at in terms of "facilities" at the picnic stop etc!

drbig,

thanks for posting those. I was in a hurry to get to work.....yawn!!

mbrock,

if you follow the Google StreetView, you will see it isn't too much of an adventure, just something that a lot of people wouldn't normally try. Google did it in an Astra I believe. There are NO facilities at the end, just an incredible feeling of being remote, especially if the weather is good. There are plenty of places to stay around Rhayader, from pubs to nice B & B's. Try the Wales Tourist Board web site. I can recommend a couple of places in Llanidloes.

Sounds a wonderful adventure.

Is it OK for vehicles that don't have the off road protection kit.?

Don't want to risk even body damage or scratches as it is possible Skoda and dealer will be organising some changes for us in the future.

Simon,

of course you can, then we'll have the LR's at the front and the back!!! Have you got a PMR radio, might be useful?

Y4Yeti,

it is a gravel track some miles long, but as I've said Google drove it in an Astra, but being gravel there is always the risk of stones flying up, but since you won't be doing much above 20mph........your risk! I drive it in a Freelander with just the thin plastic sump sheild.

Are there some more tricky byways in the area?

I'll come if I can get Saturday off work in a Landcruiser and go and try out some of the more tricky byways on the Sunday. I couldn't be certain I'd have a Yeti demonstrator by June as they tend to come and go rather quickly.

Hi Llanigraham,

thanks for the invite; would also like to join the 'exbed' but will have to add a slight provisional at the moment, hence the time to reply. Probably at least one if not two night stops from my neck of the woods.

Regards,

TP

Thanks for organising - myself and SWMBO may well be up for this but again we'd need a night over somewhere so it will take a little more thinking about. Please consider me as a strong provisional for now. :thumbup:

Might need more than 1 group, but list currently stands as:

mbrock - poss

hatband - only if it's a Yeti bike :giggle:

Simonharper - PROV with D3

Y4Yeti - poss

James Allams - poss

SimonVespa - poss. Dogs OK on leads, as sheep country.

Plumber - poss

FocusZtec - PROV

Lady Penelope - PROV

aerofurb - PROV

I am going to be away for the weekend, caravanning in Cornwall, so don't expect anything from me

Graham B)

mbrock - poss

hatband - only if it's a Yeti bike

Simonharper - PROV with D3

Y4Yeti - poss

James Allams - poss

SimonVespa - poss. Dogs OK on leads, as sheep country.

Plumber - poss

FocusZtec - PROV

Lady Penelope - PROV

aerofurb - PROV

Freshacre - PROV

It looks like I'll be able to get the Saturday off work. I doubt I'll have the Yeti by then, probably will have sold and be in a different car.

But I'd still like to come if nobody objects in another car as the Dam that your going to is only 11 miles from a public right of way that I really want to do and whilst I am in the area I might as well go for it. It's called Strata Florida and it's not to tricky offroad wise it's just very beautiful and gravelly with a few watery bits. If anyone wants to come on the Sunday with me along the Strata Florida you are welcome to but you would certainly need 4x4 Yetis with decent tread on your tyres. Mitsubishi Delica things manage it fine.

From what I've read it's like Salisbury plains there are tricky very difficult bits which you can drive around if need be.

All being well I should see you there on the Saturday!

will there be another one of these days' as i dont get mine till late july/aug emoticon-0145-shake.gif

We need to get SUK to organise a day out at a Pay and Play event! They've never had a proper soft roader like the Yeti so have no idea about Pay and Play events I'm sure. Someone needs to tell them... and gently nudge them to organise something.

But if not something like that, I'll be well up for something like this "Yeti adventure" as described in this thread in the future even if it is just the SMOC. I even considered driving to this event and just bag a ride as a passenger in someone's Yeti, but alas I'm already busy that weekend. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I even considered driving to this event and just bag a ride as a passenger in someone's Yeti,

And a serious response to this idea - I will be there on my own in my YETI, (which I am collecting tomorrow from Sinclair Skoda in Swansea emoticon-0148-yes.gifemoticon-0100-smile.gif ) so I'd welcome any other soon-to-be-YETI-owners to make use of any of the 4 seats left!

And, NO - I won't be letting anyone else drive - cos I want it all for myself, so there!

so I'd welcome any other soon-to-be-YETI-owners to make use of any of the 4 seats left!

Darn! Why did I have to have a softball tournament on that very weekend!