How to install Entertainment/Navigation unit in Fabia II

Installation Guide for Model ‘7501’ Double-DIN Radio/DVD/GPS/TV/iPOD player into Skoda Fabia II. The unit will also fit the Octavia II/II FL, and the Superb. The unit looks almost exactly like a Columbus and has a 800x480 pixel touchscreen.

On a recent trip to China I purchased a few of these ‘Model 7501’ ‘OE-look’ in-car entertainment units. I ordered them directly from the factory in Shenzhen, and they were good enough to ship them to my hotel.

The same unit is available through re-sellers in England (e.g. E.S.Global - www.esg1.co.uk/skoda/7501-7-2-din-dvdgps-dvbt-player-skoda-octavia-iifabiasuper-p-795.html) where is costs about £430 inc. the DVB-T (digital TV) option.

First off, here is the 7501 in its packaging and with accessories. The unit comes with a remote control (not really needed), a GPS antenna, TV antenna (mag-mount), wiring harnesses (inc CANbus decoder), USB and iPOD interface leads and a FAKRA aerial adapter (this two inputs, for use with diversity antennas – where fitted).

An auxiliary wiring harness is also supplied – this is to connect to an external amplifier, subwoofer, rear-view camera, video output, input and audio aux-in. I did not use this harness in this installation.

STP81470.jpg

STP81468.jpg

STP81469.jpg

Build quality is good and all the buttons operate with a nice action. The LCD touch-panel is Panasonic and the GPS board is a Nowada (same as in the OE VAG units). The firmware is a bit of a weakspot (as usual on Chinese units) but it runs the latest WinCE6 and the desktop can be unlocked to run all WinCE6 programs (including Nitrogen and Core player, and of course Office apps etc etc.).

To start the install in the Fabia you must obviously first remove the OE ‘Dance’ radio. First of all you need to pry out the radio bezel (I used a plastic trim-tool). Its easiest if you start at the bottom – its not a tight fit.

STP81473.jpg

With the bezel removed, undo the four shiny radio retaining screws (Torx T-15).

STP81475.jpg

Gently easy the Dance unit forward and remove the antenna connector by pressing down on the locking tab and pulling.

STP81477.jpg

Then remove the Quadlock connector. Squeeze the locking tab by the retaining lever and swing the lever up. Then pull out the Quadlock connector.

Store the Dance radio in the box that the 7501 came in.

STP81478.jpg

With the radio removed, you can now remove the radio console. This is easy. Remove the two (black headed) T-15 screws at the very back of the radio housing. Remove three T-15 screws (black) each side of the console (6 in all). Four of these are within the radio mounting aperture and the other two are right at the bottom of the console, securing it to the dash at each side.

With all 8 screws removed, pull the console directly away from the dash.

STP81482.jpg

Now remove the upper glovebox. Just undo the two T-15 screws at the back and then tug forwards at the bottom to release the spring clips.

STP81480.jpg

Using the supplied Velcro, stick the GPS antenna to the top of the lower glovebox housing. Pass the cable down into the console area and tie up the excess with a cable-tie.

STP81491.jpg

Drill an 8mm hole in the back corner of the upper glovebox and pass the DVB-T antenna connector through it. Pass the TV cable down to the console area, following the same path as the GPS lead.

STP81484.jpg

Refit the upper glovebox, coiling up the excess cable and storing inside, along with the mag-mount antenna.

STP81493.jpg

Tie-wrap the iPOD and USB leads together and arrange them so that they drop into the coin-tray at the front of the centre console.

STP81498.jpg

Now refit the radio console, being careful not to trap any wires.

Now take your FAKRA antenna adapter and note the blue ‘Phantom Power’ lead which is used to supply +12V along the co-ax to the antenna amplifier in the base of the ‘bee sting’ aerial on the roof.

The blue lead must be inserted into the car’s Quadlock connector so that it mates with the corresponding blue lead in the 7501’s Quadlock. It’s a tight fit, but wriggle into the vacant aperture and it should click into place. Now when the Quadlocks are mated the blue wires should correspond. This ensures that the aerial amp receives +12V when the radio is switched on.

STP81494.jpg

STP81495.jpg

STP81499.jpg

With the Quadlocks mated you can now plug the CANbus decoder (small box) into the 7501’s loom. Also connect the TV (straight F-type) and GPS (angled F-type) antenna leads.

Connect the car’s antenna lead to either one of the two green FAKRA sockets. The remaining socket is left unconnected (its for cars that have two aerials).

Plug the ISO aerial connector into the back of the radio.

Now push the white and black multi-way connectors into the back of the 7501.

Arrange all the wiring inside the radio console (there is plenty of room) and ease the 7501 into place. Ensure the plastic alignment lugs are correctly located and fix the radio into place using the four silver-finished T-15 screws.

Pop the bezel back into place. It should look absolutely OE-fit.

Remove the screen protector from the 7501 – turn the ignition on and press the left rotary control to power it up.

Now you can set it up. Press the SRC (‘source’) button and then touch the ‘Setup’ icon at the top left of the screen. You can now set the clock time, language, brake, lights and back-up detect, audio and video settings etc. You can also set the button colour (second tiny icon at bottom RHS of the ‘SRC’ screen). Note that the SRC button is always illuminated red and the phone ‘hang up’ button is red when lights are switched on.

STP81506.jpg

STP81507.jpg

STP81515.jpg

STP81516.jpg

Note: The unit will operate with the ignition turned off but the key in the lock – its on a timer and runs for about 10-15mins and then powers down (to prevent battery drain). If you want the unit to run without the key in ignition, or for an extended period with the key in, then simply connect a switch between the yellow and red wires of the 7501 main loom adapter. The switch can be mounted out of sight under the radio console. This switch will then 'override' the ignition key.

I will shortly post a review of its performance plus some more pictures.

Edited by Hauptmann

Short (and honest) review of the performance of the above unit.

STP81505.jpg

STP81509.jpg

STP81517.jpg

STP81511.jpg

DVD/CD player: Excellent picture and sound quality. Does not skip or jump on bump roads. Not a lot to say about this - it does what it should.

SD Card Player: Uses the slot at the front of the unit - will take up to 16GB according to spec., but I have so far only used 2GB cards. Plays MP3’s very well. Interface a bit ‘clunky’ but OK. See pictures.

iPOD: As per SD card player. Basic menu and controls.

Digital TV: The aerial is kept in the upper glovebox and I take it out and stick it on the roof (mag mount) when the car is parked. Reception in my area is remarkably good for such a small aerial and gives a near perfect picture. On the move, the picture and sound break up. You would need additional aerial(s) for it to work whilst driving.

Radio: Reception not as good as OE Skoda radio, tends to ‘drop out’ earlier on a weak signal. RDS works, but a bit hit and miss, seems to work OK with local radio stations but not national ??

Not too much of a worry for me because I’m going to install my Pure Highway DAB receiver with feed into the AUX on the stereo.

Bluetooth for phone: Pairs up with my Google G-1 phone no problem and can make calls. Receiving is a bit hit and miss, sometimes autoconnects, sometimes not. Not sure if this is the phone or the stereo. German forum users report it works OK, so could be my phone. I don’t know much about phones and BT. BT phonebook seems not to work – but again, I am no expert.

Navigation: This unit runs the latest Microsoft WinCE (version 6) and TomTom is currently not available (hopefully will be before much longer). I am running iGO8 and it works very well with latest maps (Q3 2009 and full postcode search). Usually receive 7+ satellites. There are numerous versions of iGO8 and many many options and features. There is a big on-line community of iGO8 users (gpsunderground and impart) with numerous maps, skins and customised features available. I am still experimenting, but its working smoothly with v8.3.90050.

Overall, if you can put up with the slightly clunky interface and dodgy RDS performance these are a great unit for the price. There is a WinCE6 hack for the unit to open up the WinCE desktop, and then you can basically run loads of programs and different players etc.

PROs: Excellent finish and genuinely 'OE' appearance.

Sound quality as good or better than the OE Dance HU

Good touchscreen

Very good video quality.

Sensitive and reliable GPS

Good performance on digital TV

Good range of inputs (SD card, USB, iPOD, AUX, Video)

Works reliably with CANbus on Fabia II

Interfaces with MF steering wheel (on Octavia II, Superb) but not MFD.

CONs: User interface a bit basic and 'clunky'.

RDS of FM radio feature not well implemented

Bluetooth a bit suspect (not fully tried out this feature)

Timer turns unit off after 10-15mins with ignition off and key still in (OE unit stays on for longer - 2 hours??).

Very poor instruction manual - many undocumented features that you have to work out for yourself....

Edited by Hauptmann

• 3 weeks later...

Just for comparison the identical unit fitted in an Octavia II vRS

image1if.png

The major differences to the above install are no console removal, new fascia required and the USB & TV cabling run to top box

• 1 month later...

How are you both getting on with your units now you have had them for a while? Still as good as initial impressions?

Waerla - what surround did you have to buy? I have a 2008 L+K I am thinking of fitting one of these units too?

Thanks

Tom

Still happy, yes.

I have a Pure Highway DAB connected up to the Aux In. The Pure is powered using a USB lead plugged into the back of the stereo, and so comes on with the stereo. Works very well indeed.

Navigation is fine and much better than a Columbus. My main grip is that the location of the stereo means that you have to look down to see the map display. My portable TomTom mounts on the screen and can be placed exactly where you want - I think its safer than having to look down below windscreen level. After driving numerous cars with integrated sat-nav I have come to the conclusion that a portable TomTom unit is really the most pragmatic choice.

• 7 months later...