so many people got this volcano ash on their car?

cant said I've noticed any extra rubbish on the car! Living in the heathrow area the car gets fairly dirty with a film of dust and other crap from the air. If anything its slightly better without the planes flying :S

Yeah, I've had it on my car every day since Friday ... thin brown sandy layer. Didn't even notice it on my windows until I wiped the dew off of them with a cloth and it came off brown! Definitely not tree pollen (I'd be sneezing), and comes back every day ... (I'm in Hampshire)

Edited by martinch

Is it mildly abrasive then? That'd be why when I washed the car on Sunday it came up gleaming with nothing but a quick splash round of Zymol.

Glad it got a couple of coats of wax last month now.

Edited by Rob.

Isn't it strange that years ago cars were left over night and were covered in sand all over the country (blown from the Sahara desert). This did not course any disruption to aircraft, however a similar thing is happening with Ash and Europe stops everything. :wonder:

As mentioned the dust contains silica which will damage the paint work if you are not careful when washing. If possible use snow foam to remove it or if not give the car a good rinse with the hose before washing. This has been mentioned in other sections of this forum.

Car engines have filters, Jet engines on aircraft don't.

Spose so..

gonna need to clean my K&N after this whole malarkey.

How come jet engines dont have filters then?

Guess there is no need for them 99.9% of the time at those altitudes...

Isn't it strange that years ago cars were left over night and were covered in sand all over the country (blown from the Sahara desert). This did not course any disruption to aircraft, however a similar thing is happening with Ash and Europe stops everything. :wonder: As mentioned the dust contains silica...

Unfortunately, that sand (silica) has had aeons to erode the sharp edges(microscopically speaking!) unlike the volcanic "ash"...also, the size of the ash particles is far smaller than the dust sand, and therefore gets into worse areas :doh:

How come jet engines dont have filters then? Guess there is no need for them 99.9% of the time at those altitudes...

It's more to do with the required airflow for a jet-engine - far huger than for any traditional internal combustion engine. any filter arrangement, whilst solving the problem, would result in aircraft flying roughly 2/3 as fast as current (well, not exactly current but you know what I mean!).

whilst aircraft in the dust may not suffer a catastrophic failure of parts, lifetime will be greatly reduced, and there are simply not enough replacement turbine blades etc to do the required maintenance for all the aircraft.

I too have a ash-y car! :dull: worst was thurs night and fri night, has been fewer deposits since then (Hampshire)

(and yes, I work in aviation!)

hth

PL

Edited by phantomlurker

I wish my car was covered in bloody ash then i'd see why I had two flights cancelled and why im not supping tropicana drinks by the pool in Portugal right now. First two week holiday in years and a volcano goes up.

Better to be stuck over here tho and not abroad and yes I know there are people much worse off than me blah blah but im still miffed!