Cracked windscreen

tarbat

Topic says it all. Yeti is only one week old, a tiny stonechip on the top edge of the windscreen (1cm in), resulting in a 20-30cm crack. Surprised that such a tiny stonechip caused such a large crack, I'm used to getting stonechips on our terrible roads in the Highlands, this is the first car I've had where a chip became a crack immediately. Autoglass can't get to me with a replacement until Thursday :(

4548242824_0d32d63573_b.jpg

Edited by tarbat

Sorry to hear your Monster is in the 'wars' emoticon-0106-crying.gif Surprised mines not needed replacing yet; peppered with tiny chips. Me thinks it's the more upright angle of the screen, even the smallest of bugs makes a thump on impact :(

Regards,

TP

Would that not be a warranty issue ? Sounds odd that a brand new windscreen would crack like that ??

:o

Age has nothing to do with it, and why does it sound odd that a new screen would crack when hit by a missile? Its highly unlikely that any manufacturer would indemnify against flying stones or the like so sad to say it is outside the warranty terms.

It is down to the individual to insure against it and pay a premium to do so..

You have my sympathy Tarbat, the same happened to me when driving a Defender 90 from the dealership less than an hour in my possession and just in from the screen edge the weakest point the repairer chappie said.

Edited by Pit-Yaka

Sorry to hear your Monster is in the 'wars' emoticon-0106-crying.gif Surprised mines not needed replacing yet; peppered with tiny chips. Me thinks it's the more upright angle of the screen, even the smallest of bugs makes a thump on impact emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Regards,

TP

I noticed this too TP. There I was driving along the dual carriageway when I heard this light popping noise. Thinking that I had developed some sort of dash rattle and then an insect splatted on the windscreen in front of me. I then noriced that the noise was coming from exploding insects emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Yes, my first reaction was "is this a manufacturing defect?". It was a very light, small stonechip - although it made a hell of a noise!! But talking to the guy at Autoglass, he said that a chip right at the edge of the glass will become a crack straight away. It's covered on my insurance, although with a £75 excess :( I've had stonechips repaired in the past, and that normally costs nothing through your insurance.

My only concern is that Autoglass do a good job, and don't mess up the automatic lights and wiper sensors. I presume these are in the unit behind the interior mirror? And I guess they need to refit the A-pillar covers properly as well. Anything else I should look out for when he does the replacement?

Edited by tarbat

If you are tall,. you might see if you can get them to locate the mirror in a higher position. The original location can be raised about 10 mm before getting into the black shaded area on the windscreen.

The bracket (a round black protruding surface) onto which the rearview mirror is fixed comes as part of the windscreen, so there is no way they can move it alas.

The edges of the screen are under more stress than the rest, a hit close to the edge will usually result in a cracked screen. On my first skoda when I had an alarm fitted the installer caught the edge of the screen with a screwdriver and the result was a 12" crack which developed 2 days later. Warranty would only cover it if there were no external influences to cause the crack. A stone can hit the screen at anytime from when the car leaves the showroom, so you could get a crack on day one if you were unfortunate.

I noticed this too TP. There I was driving along the dual carriageway when I heard this light popping noise. Thinking that I had developed some sort of dash rattle and then an insect splatted on the windscreen in front of me. I then noriced that the noise was coming from exploding insects emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

We had this happen to us on Friday..very noisy and most disconcerting :S ...is it just in our area?-Worcestershire? have we got a plague of something....a bit too early for may flies and anyway it was daytime...uuummmm

Oh well at least it's not locusts :o like in Oz at the moment!

We did have to give the windscreen an extra wash on its own though... B)

Back On Topic....tarbut- I do hope your new windscreen fitting goes well... :thumbup: so sorry to hear about the excess :'( and just that your Yeti has been in the wars- what with Scunjee and the deer and now yourself...it's a dangerous place up there in Scotland :giggle:

So, Autoglass are due out tomorrow to replace the windscreen. Any advise on how best to test things like the automatic wipers, auto-dimming mirror, automatic lights etc. once he's finished. I'm just worried that these things might get messed up when he replaces the windscreen. Anyone know where the various sensors are for these functions.

uumm- very good points- can you divert him and youreslf... so he does the replacement at your dealers? Then the mechanics would be there to advise /take a quick look?

So, Autoglass are due out tomorrow to replace the windscreen. Any advise on how best to test things like the automatic wipers, auto-dimming mirror, automatic lights etc. once he's finished. I'm just worried that these things might get messed up when he replaces the windscreen. Anyone know where the various sensors are for these functions.

Did you tell autoglass you have these fitted, its a different screen to those that dont and you cannot use the standard screen in its place.

Mirror has nothing to do with the screen or the sensor attached to the glass. Auto wipers, use a watering can on the sensor and see if they work. Autolights, cover up the sensor and the headlights should come on.

Yes, Autoglass know I have auto-wipers and lights - they specifically asked. But where are the sensors - are they in the interior mirror assembly?

Yes, Autoglass know I have auto-wipers and lights - they specifically asked. But where are the sensors - are they in the interior mirror assembly?

Hi tarbat,

if you look at the mirror mount from outside you should see two light sensors either side of 4 diamonds which I believe are the rain sensors. These appear blanked out on mine as she only has the optional Auto Lights (SE spec).

4549814165_3c7bf3ae24_b.jpg

Regards,

TP

We had this happen to us on Friday..very noisy and most disconcerting :S ...is it just in our area?-Worcestershire? have we got a plague of something....a bit too early for may flies and anyway it was daytime...uuummmm

I was in Herefordshire at the time Lady P, driving along the M50 after a day at Westons Cider farm (only the smallest of tastings officer). There seemed to be less bugs in Worcestershre on the M5. Perhaps they were drunk cider flies..........

Windscreen now replaced. A good, clean efficient job by Autoglass. For anyone having a windscreen replaced, here's some observations about the replacement process.

1. Autoglass fitter hadn't done a Yeti windscreen, but reckoned it was a similar process to the new Fabia.

2. Three screw covers, and then three screws on each A-pillar cover. These then unclip.

3. Removed the two plasitc covers around the wipers, and removed the wipers.

4. Removed mirror and sensors enclosure.

5. Then used a reel-of-wire type tool to break the seal, and removed windscreen.

6. New screen went in, etc. etc.

7. New gel pack for the sensors.

8. Tested the auto-wipers with a water spray.

9. Tested the auto-lights by covering the sensor with the black handbook cover.

BEFORE

4563221758_830f1ce958_t.jpg4562593639_a6b1b82b8a_t.jpg

AFTER

4563222000_c285055559_t.jpg4562593915_dca9692ea2_t.jpg

Edited by tarbat

Very pleased to hear it went well with the windscreen tarbat :thumbup:

I bet you will sleep better tonight! :yes:

Shrub- would you recommend the Westons? I'm rather partial to a drop of cider :giggle:

Windscreen now replaced. A good, clean efficient job by Autoglass. For anyone having a windscreen replaced, here's some observations about the replacement process.

4. Removed mirror and sensors enclosure.

Hello Tarbat,

Could you elaborate on the remval procedure for the mirror? I am seriously considering moving the mirror up into the black shaded area of the windshield, so questioning if the removal process is possible without damaging the windshield.

Was the mirror glued back on top of the black spots or did they remove the spots in the glue area?

if you have auto headlights and auto wipers, then moving the mirror into the black area will disable these functions. If you dont then the mount for the mirror is usually permanently bonded to the screen at manufacture.

Hello Tarbat,

Could you elaborate on the remval procedure for the mirror? I am seriously considering moving the mirror up into the black shaded area of the windshield, so questioning if the removal process is possible without damaging the windshield.

Was the mirror glued back on top of the black spots or did they remove the spots in the glue area?

I can't see how you could move the mirror up. The mirror clips into the mounting bracket for it and the various sensors, and isn't stuck to the windscreen. The surround for the sensors was already glued to the windscreen when it arrived.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear your Monster is in the 'wars' emoticon-0106-crying.gif Surprised mines not needed replacing yet; peppered with tiny chips. Me thinks it's the more upright angle of the screen, even the smallest of bugs makes a thump on impact emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Regards,

TP

Well I said I was surprised mine hadn't failed and exactly a month later sadly it has relented to the atrocious road surface of the A166. Car overtook me this morning throwing up a stone from the disintegrating surface dressing, leading to a very small chip just below the blacked out area around the mirror mount. Came back to the Monster this afternoon to drive home to find that very tiny chip had turned into a very large crack. Temperature change during the day I suppose emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

4636343286_e3bbfb50c9_b.jpg

TP