Adjusting Xenon Headlights laterally

I know that this question has probably been asked, and answered, many times on here but I have searched for the answer and not really got any where as I have found a couple of links to an answer but they just keep taking me round in circles.

So, could someone please tell me where the adjuster is on Xenon headlights so that i can adjust my drivers side light laterally as it seems to be way out. It is ok height wise just appearing to be pointing to far to the right.

Thanks for any help and advice.

There are adjuster screws behind the light that move them horizontally. The screws themselves are quite long and not the short ones you use for removing the lights. Screwing them in should move the light to the right, out should be left.

If the car is pre face lift and we are talking about the dipped beam then there are two hex screws on the front inside of each headlight.

top one does the up and down adjustment, bottom one does the left right adjustment.

You cant adjust Xenons without a computer (VAG Com)

You manually adjust having set the lights to a zero setting, then save it in the ECU and it stays at that new setting

I took mine (Previous Fabia vRS) to the dealer and they did it for me

If the car is pre face lift and we are talking about the dipped beam then there are two hex screws on the front inside of each headlight.

top one does the up and down adjustment, bottom one does the left right adjustment.

Hi peter0976,

Thanks for that info.

Sorry I should of said that it is a pre facelift model (06 plate) and yes we are talking about the dipped beam.

Once again, thank you.

Mike.

Edited by mikee123

You cant adjust Xenons without a computer (VAG Com)

You manually adjust having set the lights to a zero setting, then save it in the ECU and it stays at that new setting

I took mine (Previous Fabia vRS) to the dealer and they did it for me

Hi ChrisRs,

The lights have been set to a zero setting using a computer but they have not been manually adjusted properly, as I have just had a new front bumper fitted after a slight whoopsie in the snow, and they are awful to say the least.

The repair was done by my insurance's recommended repairer and I have been back with the lights to have them looked at by them and still they can't get them correct.

Can't get me insurance company involved as I paid for the repair myself in the end as it was only a few pounds more than my excess so am on my own.

They have gone from being an MOT fail due to being too low to seeming to be too high now but will have to get it checked out at an MOT station this week.

• 3 years later...

I've a question about this myself: car went in for a front bumper paint and now that I've got it back, it *seems* to me the xenons aren't as before. What I mean is that I seem to recall them forming a perfect "line" on the road, at the end of their range. However, they're now somehow forming two lines and overall the light quality seems to be worse.

I remember having a similar problem on my o1 vrs, when the left adjustment motor failed sometimes. Is it possible that they didn't adjust the xenons after reinstalling them and the bumper? Or don't they actually have to do that after taking them off and putting them back on again (i.e. the previous alignment was retained)?

Edited by jmf

Be careful manually adjusting the xenon headlights.

As has been mentioned it is better to get a dealer to do it.

The xenon's need putting into 'adjust mode' (or something similar). If you adjust them too far manually and end up out of the self-levelling tolerances you can damage them.

When I bought my Scout the xenons were lighting up the tree tops. The local dealer performed a 'reset' and all has been well ever since.

I'm not planning to adjust them myself as I don't (yet) have a vcds that works with the car (i've the old 411). I'd just like to know:

1. If adjustment is required after taking the headlights off and putting them back on

2. If indeed they should be forming a clear single "line" on the road, instead of two :)

Unfortunately I don't have the service paper with me to check the list of procedures and see if they indeed mention any "light adjustments" there, but as the whole job was kind of rushed so I'd get the car back for the weekend (I got it back literally 10 minutes before they closed), I don't think they did it even if they were supposed to.

It depends if the headlight carriers were removed too.

The headlights can be removed to gain access to the bulb holders, they slide out on rails. I removed my xenon's last week to replace the W5W sidelights. No adjustment was needed after I refitted them.

However I'm guessing if the rails/carriers were also removed when changing the bumper then this is likely to have thrown out the beam pattern?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after another "adjustment" at the dealership which resulted in my illuminating the sky every night, I just did them myself. Didn't use any vag-com stuff, just from the screws. Took a couple of evenings though, as after the first try I noticed they weren't properly aligned side-to-side, but in the end it worked out quite nicely. Best part, I used a hex tool from an Ikea chair :)