Ash tray not staying shut

There is a little peg built into the pivot mechanism that follows a track around and forms part of the push-push catch (if you take it to bits you will see what I mean) that has probably broken off.

I repaired the one on my Elegance by carefully drilling a hole where the peg had broken off and fitting a very small self tapping screw to replace the peg. I then cut off the head and filed off the threads. Job done!

There is a little peg built into the pivot mechanism that follows a track around and forms part of the push-push catch (if you take it to bits you will see what I mean) that has probably broken off.

I repaired the one on my Elegance by carefully drilling a hole where the peg had broken off and fitting a very small self tapping screw to replace the peg. I then cut off the head and filed off the threads. Job done!

Did you use to watch MacGyver?

Edited by skinnyman

Same here, although I used the clipped off end of a paperclip and some superglue. Seems to have done the job! And I think the new ashtray would have been something ridiculous like £50!

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.

Cheers

i had to do the same, however my spring wont now stay in the peg in the side, does it need to be glued in?

Did you use to watch MacGyver?

Yes, and the A Team. I love it whan a plan comes together :thumbup:

Damn, where is the smiley with a big cigar when you want one?

i had to do the same, however my spring wont now stay in the peg in the side, does it need to be glued in?

Shouldn't need to be glued in, you can't have put it back together properly.

i know but cant seem to get the spring in place, anyone have any pics of how it should be?

The spring uses it's own tension to stay in place.

Easiest way to do it is, with the tray in the open position, place the spring over the peg with the leg not in the fitted position but up against edge of the part, then twist the spring and press the crossbar into the groove. There should be enough tension for it to hold there on its own now. Then move the leg into the fitted position, which winds up the spring and increases the tension.

Hard to describe but HTH

Spring on the outside, you shouldn't have to fiddle with this:

DSCN1176.jpg

Inside bits. The paperclip I drilled a hole for and superglued in is circled in red, you have to make sure it fits into the runner circled in green, when the peg is in the V-shaped bit at the top of the runner the lid will stay closed under it's own tension until you push it down, knocking the runner downwards and releasing the peg.

DSCN1180.jpg

Hope that helps

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

i know but cant seem to get the spring in place, anyone have any pics of how it should be?

Chances are you have not wound the spring round enough. You need to put the spring under tension and then lock the flat bit in place(use long nose pliers). You will know it is right by operating the machanism pushing on the ash tray flap. Takes a little time as if you are not careful when trying to clip the spring in place under pressure and slip off it pings off all over the place and you have to start again.

cheers boys for both your replies, yes i guessed it needed twisting round again thing is every frigging time i try it springs off all over the place!!!! :rofl:

• 6 years later...

DSCN1176.jpg

Inside bits. The paperclip I drilled a hole for and superglued in is circled in red, you have to make sure it fits into the runner circled in green, when the peg is in the V-shaped bit at the top of the runner the lid will stay closed under it's own tension until you push it down, knocking the runner downwards and releasing the peg.

DSCN1180.jpg

Hope that helps

hi is that paper clip just  clipped then bent at right angle glued on the side of the slider? cheers for your help i have same problem

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2010 at 23:56, chicken_eyebrow said:

DSCN1176.jpg

DSCN1180.jpg

Hope that helps

repost please

I  tried fixing it the peg is impossible to fit I tried screwing a self tapping tiny screw to get it to lone up the ashtray has to be closed and then you can't get into it? There is a youtube video but their ashtray the mechanism is on the outside of the ashtray so far easier 

I'd also be interested if anyone can further advise on this one.

My ashtray compartment also fails to close, but only with the ashtray insert in - If I take it out the door closes just fine.

When you have the ashtray out and you look at the side, you should see a spring on one of the arms, and a channel arrangement moulded into the ash tray that the door support arm runs in.

if you look into the gap between the two, you will most likely see a small white plastic pimple which is probably all that is left of the locking pin after it has worn down.

Get a small round nail or pop rivet shaft - about 2 mm diameter is fine, cut off the point from the nail about 5mm up the shaft, drill a small hole slightly smaller than the nail you have chosen, in the area where your plastic pin has worn away.

Slightly warm the new nail pin that you cut off in a pair of pliers wth a hot air gun, then insert the pin into the hole you have drilled. the heat of the pin should allow the pin to melt sorrounding plastic to a tight join. when it is fitted, use a small amount of epoxy resin like Araldite to keep the pin permanently in place.

Sorry if the instructions are a bit patchy, but that is from memory of me doing mine about 4 years ago, and I didn't take pictures.

Edited by kentphil1

I  tried that thanks for giving instructions but when shutting the sliding bit with the 2 channels don't seem to 'catch" the nail ? It closes but the latch doesn't drop so it reopens again?  I would just go to a breaker for another one but the plastic on mine is walnut effect?  So doubt if I could source one so easily?

Also think I've damaged the plastic where the nail went through and it only gives a tiny bit of plastic to work with cheers anyway