Sound Absorbing/Proofing Material

Ive seen a few threads mentioning using sound absorbing mats to kill the noise... can anyone recommend a good product/supplier. Although my old passat exploded, when it worked it was dead quiet on the motorway, I suspect I might notice extra noise.

Following on from this post made on the "Octavia Bad Bits" thread I was wondering would anyone have any recommendations for sound proofing material for the Octy!

Most people say that anything they've gotten they simply put it into the boot and under the back seats; is this correct?

I've tried searching through E-bay yet can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I suggest a single layer of dynamat extreme on the boot floor, spare wheel well and under the rear bench.

You could then add a layer of carpet underlay on this if you wished to improve matters by absorbing rather than damping, which will take out the higher frequency noise as in conjunction with the damping from the dynamat.

Older cars used to use this stuff:

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/enviro_felt_underlay.html

although I think if you can get it in this would be better:

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/tredaireapt_carpet_underlay.html

This is a different manufacturers version which is a bit thinner too 7mm vs 8mm

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/cloud_9_carpet_underlay.html

Tgese ones would probably be the best, although the dynamat would carry most of the function from the rubber bead as well as mass damping so it might be a bit of overkill where you have dynamat installed:

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/combination_underlay.html

Edited by cheezemonkhai

a slight correction - the stuff i used in the boot was laminate floor underlay which looks a bit like the 3rd or 4th example cheezemonkhai posted, with a silver foil outer on one side. the stuff under the back bench is a heavy rubber underlay.

A few questions.

1/ If fitting this stuff, what thickness is recommended?

2/ What method of attaching it to the car is recommended?

3/ How easy is it to fit?

4/ Does it affect the refitting of the carpet?

5/ Do you have a recommended brand?

6/ Do you have a recommended supplier?

Ta.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

I'm just wondering - having seen some of the samples on how to install these kits (such as around the spare wheel well) I'd love to know if I could get it installed somewhere.

I'm in Ireland but wouldn't be surprised if I had to travel to the UK to find someone.

Anyone who can recommend someone to me and how much it might cost?

A few questions.

1/ If fitting this stuff, what thickness is recommended?

2/ What method of attaching it to the car is recommended?

3/ How easy is it to fit?

4/ Does it affect the refitting of the carpet?

5/ Do you have a recommended brand?

6/ Do you have a recommended supplier?

Ta.

Depends what you're fitting.

Dynamat extreme is self adhesive with foil on the top side. and doesn't affect any refitting in my experience.

The other things, it's probably best to have a feel for play and then get it thick enough to work, but thin enough to not bulk things up too much.

I can't really give an answer on what's going to be ok in terms of the underlay type items, as different parts of the car will accept different thickness of material.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

I'm just wondering - having seen some of the samples on how to install these kits (such as around the spare wheel well) I'd love to know if I could get it installed somewhere.

I'm in Ireland but wouldn't be surprised if I had to travel to the UK to find someone.

Anyone who can recommend someone to me and how much it might cost?

www.noisekiller.co.uk - worth a try, think their kits are around £200 to buy if you fit yourself

• 3 weeks later...

Dynamat extreme is £150 for a bulk pack, would be enough to do most cars by the look of it!

I found these 'how to apply dynamat' videos quite entertaining - and also enough to put me right off attempting to do it myself! (although limiting it to the boot and under-rear-seat options is probably less challenging)

I used second skin damplifier, bulk pack from car audio direct. Cut down booming from the exhaust and shut it up a bit. Applied to the boot, sparewheel well and under back seat. I also got a pack from noise killer (second skin appeared to do more, however it was applied after the noise killer so the two combined might of done the job). Waiting for some second skin luxuary liner then I'm thinking of doing the wheel arches.

Second skin fits the same as Dynamat, self adhesive. Just use a small roller to ensure a good adhesion and get air bubbles out. Also if you put it in the boot it might be an idea not to cover build label. Not sure how important that label is but I left it uncovered.

I have a roll of brown bread in the garage. Is that worth using?

In this order, spare wheel well, Boot floor, and under rear bench.

If you have enough left over then put double layers down where you can as while brown bread works, it benefits a lot from a second layer.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

www.noisekiller.co.uk - worth a try, think their kits are around £200 to buy if you fit yourself

I have used noisekiller in the boot & spare wheel well, the amount used was approx. 80% of what they call a sheet, & the cost was £65 including delivery. The difference in the passenger cell of the car was an overall reduction from 5 decibels at 70 mph, in reality what this meant was that the rear seat passengers can hear conversation from people in the front seats easier. There was also a reduction in lower frequency "boom".

The insulation was 3mm thick which meant that it did not interfer with the fit of existing interior mats, side panels etc. A easy job to do which took me about 1.5 hours one evening.

Edited by kjayf

In this order, spare wheel well, Boot floor, and under rear bench.

If you have enough left over then put double layers down where you can as while brown bread works, it benefits a lot from a second layer.

Is it good enough though? I know its fairly heavy so I don't want to layer it up just to get the desired effect. I see on that ebay link someone posted the mats were very cheap and if its better stuff and lighter I would rather use that!

I've got a feeling its not brown bread, but an equivilant.

Brown bread is fine.

Two layers of brown bread makes a much bigger difference than a single layer, which is why I said go for 2 if you can.

If you're worried about weight then:

- Wheel well (1 layer sides, 2 layers base)

- Boot floor (1 layer)

- Under rear bench (1 layer)

Optional

- Rear wheel arches (1 layer)

- Boot floor (second layer)

Also regarding the ebay link, I'd be unsure purely because:

"polyethylene"

and

"Q: Hi Is the stuff heat resistant and can it be used under the bonnet ? thanks

A: Hello, Thank you for your interest. Yes, this material is resistant to heat. Best regards"

don't usually go together, especially when the below was also on there:

"Q: Hi Do you know what the max operating temperature is? thanks

A: Hello, about 80 degrees Celsius. Best regards"

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Brown bread is fine.

Two layers of brown bread makes a much bigger difference than a single layer, which is why I said go for 2 if you can.

If you're worried about weight then:

- Wheel well (1 layer sides, 2 layers base)

- Boot floor (1 layer)

- Under rear bench (1 layer)

Optional

- Rear wheel arches (1 layer)

- Boot floor (second layer)

Also regarding the ebay link, I'd be unsure purely because:

"polyethylene"

and

"Q: Hi Is the stuff heat resistant and can it be used under the bonnet ? thanks

A: Hello, Thank you for your interest. Yes, this material is resistant to heat. Best regards"

don't usually go together, especially when the below was also on there:

"Q: Hi Do you know what the max operating temperature is? thanks

A: Hello, about 80 degrees Celsius. Best regards"

Thanks for the advice, I might give this a try Friday as I am off work. I'll try the single layers first and see how it affects the acoustics in the vehicle. How do you propose to cover the rear wheel arches?..

I'm not bothered by the heat resistance of that ebay stuff, I had no intention of fitting it to the engine bay, bulk head or under the bonnet?

Ive just ordered 20sq ft of Second Skin Damplifier. I think that will cover the Boot, Well and Rear seat.

If I have any left, is it worth using it under the heat mat under the Bonnet, or double up in the well/boot?

Cheers, RB

I have two pieces of cloud 9, 9mm PU foam underlay after I added some to my boot floor and rear bench area.

http://www.underlay.com/cirrus.htm

Each of the two pieces are the full width of the under rear bench area, with one slightly larger than the other, but my guess is that each one would be suitable to provide some sound proofing in that area.

I already had some dynamat xtreme down, so a layer of this seems to have nicely cut down on the higher frequency noise that was left.

Not silent, but a noticeable improvement over the dynamat alone.

So anyone who can collect from the Southampton or Portsmouth areas can have one of these pieces for a single bottle of real ale.

• 2 weeks later...

What about this stuff? My link

That is blatantly this stuff with a fancy label lumped on it. I'm not knocking it though, as I used the same stuff to do all my door cards some time ago (in addition to foam rubber underlay on the rear bench and boot) and the difference was very noticeable....and at about 1/3rd of the price.

Edited by Guinness